Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 12-30-2013, 10:52 AM
Saeleofu Saeleofu is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I've never heard of vets doing this... seems weird. And of course odd. You can obviously tell if a male is neutered or not but if I popped Pepper in front of somebody, how would you know if you're supposed to charge me extra or not? Weird.
Even then, what about vasectomized males?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-30-2013, 11:58 AM
*blackrose's Avatar
*blackrose *blackrose is offline
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 5,992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I've never heard of vets doing this... seems weird. And of course odd. You can obviously tell if a male is neutered or not but if I popped Pepper in front of somebody, how would you know if you're supposed to charge me extra or not? Weird.
I don't know about a low cost place that doesn't keep records, but at least in a "regular" clinic they'd ask about sex on their info sheet. Nice to know if you have an intact female or not when you're trying to decide if she's in heat or if something bad is going on. Lol
__________________
Cynder, Daddy's girl Little Lab muttly and Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever
~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~

Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-30-2013, 12:09 PM
JessLough JessLough is offline
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,160
Default

Never heard of it, but honestly? If I liked the vet, I'd probably still pay it.
__________________
Ella: 3 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~8 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-30-2013, 12:31 PM
Brattina88 Brattina88 is offline
treehugging clicker freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: OH
Posts: 12,779
Default

That's so weird, I've never heard of it, either. I've heard of liscenses being more expensive, but only through Chaz. It would depend on my reasons for not having my dog speutered... But my first reaction is no, I wouldn't pay it. I'd find another vet.
__________________

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-30-2013, 01:27 PM
Beanie's Avatar
Beanie Beanie is offline
Clicker Cult Coordinator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 13,332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
I don't know about a low cost place that doesn't keep records, but at least in a "regular" clinic they'd ask about sex on their info sheet. Nice to know if you have an intact female or not when you're trying to decide if she's in heat or if something bad is going on. Lol
Yeah, but let's say you're making an appointment and you discover it's more $$ for the appointment and for vaccinations and stuff if you have an intact dog... if they ask you if your bitch is intact or not, and you know saying "yes" is going to cost you more money... are you going to be honest?

Also on the subject of records, my old vet clinic has Auggie down in their records as being intact. He hasn't had balls since he was eight months old. And somehow Payton who first came to them when he was 13 weeks old is down as being neutered. what what what
__________________


Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-30-2013, 01:49 PM
RBark's Avatar
RBark RBark is offline
Got Floof?
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 845
Default

It's been my experience that the extra charges are a good way to convince people to spay/neuter their animals. The rescue I work with just tells them that it's cheaper in the long term, and offers a low cost spay/neuter solution that basically pays for itself after a couple visits. Not to mention all the other advantages, but the wallet is where most people make the decision.

This is the average person, not the average Chaz person. I know most of you would not factor this into your decision. I've seen many people change their mind about spaying/neutering after explaining the financial advantage to doing so, small as it may be.
__________________

Kobe the Fluffy Cloud, Alaskan Malibu-te, Mar. '05
Syl the Stormblessed, Border Collie, Dec. '13


Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-30-2013, 02:14 PM
*blackrose's Avatar
*blackrose *blackrose is offline
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 5,992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Yeah, but let's say you're making an appointment and you discover it's more $$ for the appointment and for vaccinations and stuff if you have an intact dog... if they ask you if your bitch is intact or not, and you know saying "yes" is going to cost you more money... are you going to be honest?

Also on the subject of records, my old vet clinic has Auggie down in their records as being intact. He hasn't had balls since he was eight months old. And somehow Payton who first came to them when he was 13 weeks old is down as being neutered. what what what
I guess I think of low cost clinics not having a building - more like vaccine clinics at, say, TSC. Do they take all your information like that, or just briefly examine, then poke?
__________________
Cynder, Daddy's girl Little Lab muttly and Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever
~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~

Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Saeleofu Saeleofu is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
I guess I think of low cost clinics not having a building - more like vaccine clinics at, say, TSC. Do they take all your information like that, or just briefly examine, then poke?
I'm pretty sure they HAVE to take your information.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-30-2013, 02:38 PM
Beanie's Avatar
Beanie Beanie is offline
Clicker Cult Coordinator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 13,332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
I guess I think of low cost clinics not having a building - more like vaccine clinics at, say, TSC. Do they take all your information like that, or just briefly examine, then poke?
Are these only low cost clinics we're talking about? I thought Fran said her vet charges more for intact dogs... I thought we were talking about just vets in general doing this.
__________________


Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-30-2013, 02:42 PM
*blackrose's Avatar
*blackrose *blackrose is offline
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 5,992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Are these only low cost clinics we're talking about? I thought Fran said her vet charges more for intact dogs... I thought we were talking about just vets in general doing this.
That's what I was talking about low cost wise. Other people have discussed regular vets doing it as well.

I suppose my point is if your routine vet stipulated cost based on alter status, it would be hard to hide versus a walk in vaccine clinic who will only see your dog briefly once. (Females being easier to hide that they're intact versus males. )
__________________
Cynder, Daddy's girl Little Lab muttly and Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever
~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site