Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-29-2013, 05:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I couldn't pay that vet.
Same here. Actually, my vet's (and his wife's) contempt for my dog's testicles is one reason I was happy to leave the clinic I was working at.

If you want to charge me extra because my dog has testicles, then you don't get any of my money to begin with. I'll do vaccines on my own, kthnxbai.

The city here charges more for intact dogs to be licensed. But Logan is a service dog, so there is no charge for him. TAKE THAT CITY! MY DOG'S TESTICLES ARE SPECIAL!
Old 12-29-2013, 06:12 PM
Top Dog

Wow, I would also find a new vet.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:18 PM
Top Dog

*shrugs* It's normal here. It usually doesn't have the desired effect but whatever. At least they're trying. There are several free or low cost spay/neuter clinics here. I have a hard time imagining most of the people in my area keeping their animals intact due to researching health issues associated with early spueter or something.

Maybe once a clinic realizes you're not trying to breed your dog to anything he wants to hump, they'll be a bit more lenient? I don't know. I've seen way worse things than clinics pushing speuter.

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/

Passion Parties Consultant
https://erinnmitsch.yourpassionconsultant.com/index.asp
Old 12-29-2013, 06:30 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post
*shrugs* It's normal here. It usually doesn't have the desired effect but whatever. At least they're trying. There are several free or low cost spay/neuter clinics here. I have a hard time imagining most of the people in my area keeping their animals intact due to researching health issues associated with early spueter or something.

Maybe once a clinic realizes you're not trying to breed your dog to anything he wants to hump, they'll be a bit more lenient? I don't know. I've seen way worse things than clinics pushing speuter.
This is really why it doesn't bother me at all even if I have to pay extra. As a responsible owner with an intact dog who isn't breeding, I don't get pestered by them, their policy doesn't leak into their care of Merlin with venom or unwelcomeness.. THEY KNOW I'm not the problem lol and I understand the majority of intact dog owners this policy was created for and the idea of why this policy was created.

Spay/neuter campaigns/policies are what they are. And while I don't agree with the blanket statements of all of them... all in all, I totally get it.

Same with the "adopt dont shop" message or free goodies/incentives for people who adopt their pets. I get the sentiment even if it kind of rubs me the wrong way lol overall, I think they are a good thing
Old 12-29-2013, 07:30 PM
I'm All Ears

Wow I've never even heard of this before. I had no idea it was a thing at all. Seems really strange to me.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:45 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post

I'll eat my hat if these policies result in more people altering. Seriously. You pick the hat, I'll eat it.

You're right, most people don't keep their pets intact because of well researched health reasons.

But then do you think they're really going to neuter them because the vet charges more?

IMO this has far more to do with shaming people or penalizing them than it does actually promoting spay/neuter. If anything it probably just deters people with intact dogs from showing up at all.

ETA: In the city of Chicago, it's $5 to license an altered dog, and $50 to license an intact dog. Do you know how many intact dogs I saw in rougher areas? And does anybody want to take a guess at how many of those dogs had licenses? The rate of compliance for licensing in the city is TERRIBLE and I saw more intact dogs there than I ever do in the suburbs. And you had to have a license to use the AC's low cost vaccine clinic so a lot of intact dogs got excluded from those services because their owners couldn't afford the $50 fee on top of it.

Sorry, it bothers me. And it bothers me because I think it has much more to do with people feeling good about themselves than it does with actually helping dogs and people. They don't get a pat on the back from me for that.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:50 PM
Top Dog

Target the groups that need the financial assistance with very low cost or free altering. That's what a fabulous rescue group up here does. They target bully breeds in areas where it's common to have fighting rings. They fundraise and get grants to provide spays/neuters and vaccines for free.

I doubt charging more for routine stuff is going to do much to change the mind of those who don't already alter their dogs.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 12-29-2013, 08:06 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
And does anybody want to take a guess at how many of those dogs had licenses? The rate of compliance for licensing in the city is TERRIBLE and I saw more intact dogs there than I ever do in the suburbs.
Well to be fair the rate of compliance for licensing any pets in a lot of cities is pretty abysmal, regardless of the cost or reproductive status of the pet.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:14 PM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
They target bully breeds in areas where it's common to have fighting rings.
That's actually pretty laughable, from a logical standpoint.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:19 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
I'll eat my hat if these policies result in more people altering. Seriously. You pick the hat, I'll eat it.

You're right, most people don't keep their pets intact because of well researched health reasons.

But then do you think they're really going to neuter them because the vet charges more?

IMO this has far more to do with shaming people or penalizing them than it does actually promoting spay/neuter. If anything it probably just deters people with intact dogs from showing up at all.

ETA: In the city of Chicago, it's $5 to license an altered dog, and $50 to license an intact dog. Do you know how many intact dogs I saw in rougher areas? And does anybody want to take a guess at how many of those dogs had licenses? The rate of compliance for licensing in the city is TERRIBLE and I saw more intact dogs there than I ever do in the suburbs. And you had to have a license to use the AC's low cost vaccine clinic so a lot of intact dogs got excluded from those services because their owners couldn't afford the $50 fee on top of it.

Sorry, it bothers me. And it bothers me because I think it has much more to do with people feeling good about themselves than it does with actually helping dogs and people. They don't get a pat on the back from me for that.

I use a breeder vet. She's 100% fantastic, has done my dogs right every time. She sometimes gives me discounts and while her prices aren't the lowest out there, they're extremely reasonable and for her amount of experience and expertise, it's a bargain.

There's a clinic here in town that does low cost vaccines. All vaccines are $10 each, straight across the board. Microchips $23, you have to send in the chip registration yourself (it's another $20 I think). All of that is regardless of your income, which is pretty awesome. I would never take one of my animals there for a surgery, but to get vaccines done it's affordable and efficient.