Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Default Additional charge for intact dogs?

So I was about to sign Talon up for a training class that starts Jan 8th, but while doing so I realized his vaccinations would be due soon. So I have to get that done before I can start the class. I did their vaccinations at a vet in Tacoma that does low cost vaccines so I don't have to pay for a checkup as well, and do the checkup's separately at my vet. I loved the low cost clinic their, the vet's were awesome, the staff were awesome, and they understood about Art's special needs. They were my go to vet for most things non-emergency.

Well, I decided to look around to see if I could find a low cost clinic so I could get Talon's one vaccination done without having to pay an exam fee at my normal vet here. I found one that did $18 for the DAPP and $18 for 3-year Rabies and a required $10 for a small exam. It's not bad compared to $50 for an exam plus cost of shots.

As I was looking I found this:

Quote:
"If your pet is not spayed or neutered there is an additional charge of $20 per vaccine and an additional $15 for the brief exam."
I'm just a bit baffled as to why they would require more money because your dog has all it's bits. I mean, it's not like it automatically makes the dog harder to deal with.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-29-2013, 04:20 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Yep, there are several clinics in my area who do this. The intention is to punish those with intact dogs in the hopes it will encourage altering. Because, you know, that's sure to work. Dumb. All it does is discourage people with intact dogs from using their clinic. I'm pretty confident nobody has read that and thought, well gee then I'll get him neutered to save the $20!

I won't support clinics with differential fees like that. Now, my county charges $11 more per rabies license on intact dogs, likely on the premise that intact dogs "cost" the county more because they breed (still off base IMO but makes a LITTLE more sense). That's only per rabies tag though and I can't really opt out, so it is what it is. And it's only $11.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:26 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Same end effect but most of the ones I see are worded inversely: ___ is the cost BUT if your dog is altered then you get the rebate and only have to pay ____!

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 12-29-2013, 04:28 PM
Resident fainting goat

This is pretty common.

Our vet even charges more per office visit for intact dogs. And the city charges more to register them.
It's supposed to encourage s/n.

...I think it just encourages people to not register their intact dogs or take them to the vet lol
Old 12-29-2013, 04:28 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Same end effect but most of the ones I see are worded inversely: ___ is the cost BUT if your dog is altered then you get the rebate and only have to pay ____!
I actually think that wording makes more sense. I realize the practical effect is the same, but I think it's very different to read "you get a discount!" than "You and your dog's dirty gonads have to pay extra!" If places are going to charge differential fees based on dogs being sexually intact, a discount for altering makes more sense than a penalty for leaving intact. One comes across as positive reinforcement; the other punishment.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:30 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
This is pretty common.

Our vet even charges more per office visit for intact dogs. And the city charges more to register them.
It's supposed to encourage s/n.

...I think it just encourages people to not register their intact dogs or take them to the vet lol
WHOA really?

I couldn't pay that vet. No criticism of you as I'm sure you have your reasons. But I'd be out of there so fast. I'd just feel so unwelcome with a policy like that.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:44 PM
orange iguanas.

This is the first I've ever seen or heard of that! Only time I've seen a price difference for intact animals is when it comes to city licenses. And, I don't license my dogs anyway, but last I saw (which was a few years ago), in my city it was only $10 more if your dog was intact.

Actually now that I think about it, we sell licenses where I work (different city from where I live though), and the form asks if they're spayed/neutered but there doesn't appear to be a difference in price if they're not.

Paying more for exams and vaccines? Sounds a little ridiculous.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 12-29-2013, 05:00 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
WHOA really?

I couldn't pay that vet. No criticism of you as I'm sure you have your reasons. But I'd be out of there so fast. I'd just feel so unwelcome with a policy like that.
*shrug* He's the best in the area lol best office, nice guy overall, licensed and friendly staff, best equipment, best surgical record, happy other clients, went to Cornell.

I pay for the service and his experience/education, their policy was a tiny blip on the radar but ehh he doesn't pester me about Merlin being un-neutered (which I've found most vets do regardless of price policy,so frankly, I'll take the extra money over the pain in the ass questioning)

I personally think it's a bit ridiculous. But I also think it's ridiculous that my I am expected to tip the girl that washes my hair at the salon 15% of the price of the whole shebang.
But it's their view. And my hair always looks amazing so at the end of the day... I'll take shelling out a little extra for something to a place that is overall amazing, with a small thing I find kind of weird.

I understand the sentiment and I understand WHY some vets/cities might think this would encourage people to s/n.
and I would assume the response to learning of this policy from average pet owners/MOST PEOPLE is overall good.
I also realize that as a responsible intact dog owner who isn't going to breed her dog and didn't get her dog off kijiji... I'm kind of the minority when it comes to those heading into the vets with their intact dog.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:02 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Wow, I'm suprised this is so widespread! This is the first time I've seen anything like this (other than the city tags). I'm shocked they think this works. Though they probably get less intact dogs coming in so think "see, it's working! There are less intact dogs!" um....yeah.

Plus, it's not like this area has 4 other low-cost vaccination places in the same city that do NOT add fee's for intact dogs.

That's just so ridiculous.

Though, now that I've read my training places requirements, they don't specifically require certain vaccinations, they require veterinary permission to join groups of dogs with some sort of vaccination protocol, blood testing, or other proven methods. So I may just look into doing blood titering instead. THough I don't know exactly how that works and I'll likely have to do his vaccination this time anyways since the class is so soon.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:27 PM
such sights to show you

Huh, I've never heard of such a thing in my life. Must be a regional thing.