Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 12-23-2013, 06:07 PM
On second thought...

Linds, I watched your video with the volume halfway. I looked over the edge of my laptop to find Cameron and Duncan both intently staring my way. The second the video was over they both put their heads down and took a nap,

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:04 PM
such sights to show you

So, Maisy is the champion of the perch at our house so far. She's so adorable because she started out by very gingerly pawing at the stool, but then once she got clicked for that it took her about two minutes to figure the rest of it out. I couldn't get a good picture of her standing on it but here she is up there, anyway.

Unfortunately, I thought Squash was hopping his back legs up on to the stool when he was actually hopping OVER it, and accidentally click/treated the hop. So he kept getting his front legs up, then hopping over it. Over and over. And over.

So we switched to a chair, where he's quite pleased with himself. Again, by the time I got the camera he sat down, but we'll work on holding a stand up there.

Pip will get his front legs up, but then he gets so excited because I DID SOMETHING he just sort of loses his mind. So baby steps with him.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Twin 2

Yay!! I love how proud they both look too. When you find Squash sitting at your kitchen table, it's not my fault.

Do you have an end goal/plan of action? Is your main goal him comfortable enough to stand?
Old 12-25-2013, 10:49 AM
such sights to show you

Ha! He's not even ALLOWED in the kitchen! But our kitchen is too small for a table, anyway.

Anyway, yes I'd like him to get comfortable standing, and ideally I'd like to get him standing on that little stool if I ever convince him to leave this "hop over this stool" feedback loop behind him. Anything that can help his balance and core strength is something I'd like to add to his little home workout routine.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:02 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Ha! He's not even ALLOWED in the kitchen! But our kitchen is too small for a table, anyway.

Anyway, yes I'd like him to get comfortable standing, and ideally I'd like to get him standing on that little stool if I ever convince him to leave this "hop over this stool" feedback loop behind him. Anything that can help his balance and core strength is something I'd like to add to his little home workout routine.
If you kitchen is too small for a table I'm not sure Squash could fit in there to begin with.

It'll be great for them! I have stools and a balance ball that I make mine do positions on all the time and you can see their self awareness and body control sky rocket.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:06 PM
such sights to show you

My kitchen is basically a glorified hallway.

Anyway, progress! I don't think we'll ever live up to your footstalls, but they're not koolies .

Today the stool was suddenly no longer for hopping over. I love when they "sleep on it" and then come back the next day to something like they knew it all along.

IGNORE MY FRUMPY PJS AND BED HAIR, PLEASE. I don't care enough to gussy up and retake video.

And Maisy.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:41 PM
Twin 2

Look at them! Squash looks super comfortable already! And I agree, I absolutely love when they don't get it and you come back later and they're like "I can do this in my sleep."

Also, I'm pretty sure PJ's are a requirement for training video's.

Outside Foot stall!

Old 12-26-2013, 04:34 PM
Top Dog

Linds I LOVE that footstall picture of Traveler! So epic.

Here's our perch-ish work lately! Just pics, no video.

Maybe someday we will be able to do a footstall...that block is about the size of my two feet, so there is hope!
Old 12-26-2013, 05:08 PM
such sights to show you

I love that picture of Traveler so much. And Onyx looks amazing.

And I wish I was physically capable of doing stalls with Squash. He would love them so much. sigh

Old 12-26-2013, 05:08 PM
Twin 2

That picture of her on your back is just stunning.

I was thinking about you when I put this ToTW up because last time I don't think you had Onyx and instead you were doing overs with Yarrow. I was excited that you got a smaller dog to play with this time around!

I'm telling you too, cinder blocks are the most useful things ever for dog training

She looks pretty comfortable on your back! Was that your goal or are you taking it farther? I'm slowly working on a shoulder stall with both Didgie and Traveler. It's slow going though getting the foot placement consistent.