Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-04-2014, 01:01 AM
Top Dog

I was working with Bayleigh on a shoulder stall today. Though, I admit that I didn't watch any of the videos so I don't know if what we're doing is considered a proper shoulder stall. She does jump onto my shoulder though and I think it's super cute.

Edit: I went back and watched some videos and we are doing the same thing. Yay!
Old 01-04-2014, 01:17 AM
Top Dog

Fourth training session on the peanut.

Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 01-04-2014, 01:22 AM
dogstrong

I love Gabby.

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 01-04-2014, 01:38 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I love the shoulder stalls. Love them. But... I'm not going to try them, lol.
Oh you are such a baby. C'mon Squash would look SO ADORABLE perched up on your shoulder like a parrot!!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-04-2014, 06:28 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
When I was bemoaning my stumpy arms and this exact same problem, Adrianne gave me the awesome suggestion of using a wooden spoon with peanut butter, AKA arm lengthener. And that's what did the trick for Squash!
Ha! Nice idea. I might have to give that a whirl!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 01-04-2014, 09:57 AM
The Monster.

A friend of mine is working on a foot stall with her dog. She's made crazy fast progress with her 50lb dog -- I think it took her about 4 sessions to get to where she is now. She's a very accomplished trainer and her dog picks new things up like crazy, but I thought her method was really interesting and wanted to share it here.

She shaped Hero to perch on her shoes before she ever put them on her feet, and then gradually increased the height. Pretty inventive.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 01-04-2014, 10:19 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
A friend of mine is working on a foot stall with her dog. She's made crazy fast progress with her 50lb dog -- I think it took her about 4 sessions to get to where she is now. She's a very accomplished trainer and her dog picks new things up like crazy, but I thought her method was really interesting and wanted to share it here.

She shaped Hero to perch on her shoes before she ever put them on her feet, and then gradually increased the height. Pretty inventive.
That's a great method. I like it. That is A LOT of dog to hold on your feet though! She's going to get a good leg work out! Very impressive.

I wonder what the upper limit on dog weight is for foot stalls. lol. Depends on the person too I realize, but since most of us are women that don't look like we bench 200 lbs... lol. I will personally feel very accomplished if I can get a back stall with close to 60 lbs.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:47 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I have thought about targeting the shoes for a long time but kept doubting the logistics. Thanks! We'll have to try it now!
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post

I like how she did that with the shoes on her. I've seen/heard people doing it with props and putting shoes onto different objects and having the dog target that but I never thought it was that great idea. I like though how she had them on her because that allows the dog to still get used to the movement and actually getting onto a person rather than putting it on a stationary object and then having to transfer it over to a body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Okay, so I have Siri jumping straight on, onto my knees. Any suggestions on how to transfer this to actual feet? Do I just pull my knees up to my chest and ask her to hop onto my feet? Or is there an in-between step that I am missing?
I had the dogs get onto a stool and then put my legs up and then started shaping them getting onto my feet. The shins helped as a bridge between that because they already had the idea that this was something that involved getting onto me.

So I would just mark and treat for front feet and then for shifting their weight forward, then for picking up back feet and so on. Just be careful about what you mark for and not rewarding digging at your feet. I don't know if it's common or just my dogs but both kept offering dig on my feet and a few missed marks on my part had them doing it with gusto. And I'll tell you, nothing like fighting them with that to tire you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy View Post
That's a great method. I like it. That is A LOT of dog to hold on your feet though! She's going to get a good leg work out! Very impressive.

I wonder what the upper limit on dog weight is for foot stalls. lol. Depends on the person too I realize, but since most of us are women that don't look like we bench 200 lbs... lol. I will personally feel very accomplished if I can get a back stall with close to 60 lbs.
I think I could probably do a dog that was in the low 50s. I'm not sure how much bigger though. Traveler in the low 40s and I feel like I could probably do a dog bigger than him but not 100% sure. I've got small size 7 feet but I think once the dog gets it that's not really that big of deal, but the training part is brutal.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:45 PM
Top Dog

Getting smaller!