Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-03-2014, 02:33 PM
Club Terrible - President

Yay Squash!
Old 01-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Yesssssss awesome!! Go Squash!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-03-2014, 02:46 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:56 PM
such sights to show you

Haha I don't know what's better, the double perch or the gallery of creepers in the background.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:09 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy View Post
Bah, this is hard with long legged, long bodied dogs! But I'm going to work on this a lot because I think it's great for Kili's core strength. Also her hock is still not right so I've got her on limited exercise and if I don't do something with her she's going to drive me nuts!

First on a little end table and then on our overturned garbage can. They're about the same size but the circle is a lot harder for her... also probably because it's not as stable and if I don't hold it for her it tips over and dumps her on her ass which she doesn't like.

I'm so freaking impressed! You are so going to be my go to when I get my grey puppy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
OMG Sekah OMG. That's so awesome.

krissy, you might try working on the "feet in a bowl" game! Start with a really big bowl and then start switching to smaller bowls. It helps them to think about getting their feet into a smaller space. Also they kind of have to balance funny when their feet are in a tiny bowl all crammed together, so it helps!
I think that's a really really good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
So this happened.

You Sass, you are my hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
I wanted to know what a shoulder stall looked like, so I decided to find out myself.

I'm particularly poofy here because I put on a down vest under my sweatshirt. She clawed my back real good a few times and oooouch. Can't put the vest on over top since it's kind of slick. Now I know why all my disc friends have kevlar sport vests.

E: Link troubles

http://youtu.be/EuW-92WWK1Q
She really is so light on her feet! I love watching her so much. I love how she lands and it's like "I'm here, feed me."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post

In other "I will never teach him to jump on my body for safety's sake" news...

Holy cow, about 3 minutes of training that with my feet resting on a chair, and my legs are TIRED! You guys must all be super buff from this trick!
LOVE IT!! Also, totally laughing at you.

And I know, I actually messed something up with my back working on the footstall and have taken a week off. My legs feel like jelly when I'm done but that goes away, I don't know if I just twisted weird when working with Traveler or what. Hoping though this will help strengthen my back!

I'm glad you're doing this with Gusto though! He's such a perfect size for it

Here's the shoulder stall I've been working on, though I might backtrack a bit and fix her foot placement. It started out good but as I've gotten higher and higher she decided to do one shoulder rather than utilizing both of mine.

Also, I'm not standing like Sekah yet! I'm on a stool so that I'm higher than if I was kneeling and lower than straight out standing.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:15 PM
Twin 2

And for some more inspiration for all those of you with big dogs. Here's TuffStuff's (Jes) Boone perching on things! Remember he's well over 70 lbs and 25 inches at the shoulder.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:29 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Go Boone! Big dogs can do it too. <3

Also holy crap I want a shoulder stall SO BAD now. SO. BAD.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-03-2014, 03:52 PM
The Monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post

Here's the shoulder stall I've been working on, though I might backtrack a bit and fix her foot placement. It started out good but as I've gotten higher and higher she decided to do one shoulder rather than utilizing both of mine.

Also, I'm not standing like Sekah yet! I'm on a stool so that I'm higher than if I was kneeling and lower than straight out standing.

I'm thrilled you posted a video. I wasn't too sure how I wanted the perch to look - paws over shoulder, or the dog standing. I'm still not sure what I want, but I like weighing the pros/cons. What was your decision making like with this? I also like how you're not moving much to accommodate the dog. It'll look really nice when you're done.

Also, I totally thought Trav was Didgie to start, and was surprised when a dog appeared from a direction I wasn't expecting.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 01-03-2014, 05:05 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
I'm thrilled you posted a video. I wasn't too sure how I wanted the perch to look - paws over shoulder, or the dog standing. I'm still not sure what I want, but I like weighing the pros/cons. What was your decision making like with this? I also like how you're not moving much to accommodate the dog. It'll look really nice when you're done.

Also, I totally thought Trav was Didgie to start, and was surprised when a dog appeared from a direction I wasn't expecting.
Pretty much my thought process went like this "What else can they stand on? My shoulders! This is going to be painful, I better wear a jacket."

I never really thought about the paws over the shoulder like you are doing. I did/do have a trick with Traveler I call piggy back where he jumps onto my back while I'm standing and hooks his front feet over my shoulders.

It's slow going though and really painful when the feet miss and go down my neck!
Old 01-03-2014, 05:32 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Siri naturally throws herself onto my shoulder when we are shaping and she gets frustrated. Maybe that needs to be a thing?

Cohen and Didge look awesome like that.

I think I shall call it "parrot"

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.