Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 12-11-2013, 10:33 PM
Active Pup

Default Feeding Raw - Bones?

I've been feeding a raw diet but have really only been using ground meat/meat without bones. I've heard so many different stories about dogs choking or cracking teeth on bones, or getting bone splinters stuck in they're intestines or puncturing they're insides. It's horrifying to me, as a new puppy owner, to even think of giving him anything with a bone in it. Yet I also hear and read about so many people that do feed bones and never have a problem at all.

So are bones really safe to feed? What bones are ok and which ones should I stay away from? Are the bones digestible?

Has anyone here ever had they're dog choke on a piece of a bone before? Any vet visits for cracked teeth?
Old 12-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Top Dog

Cracked teeth, well technically I guess it could happen on any bone...but can also happen on toys, etc really. I personally stay away from huge weight bearing bones now as I feel they can be higher risk, but did feed even them for years.

But yes, I feed bones. Necks, chicken backs and quarters, ribs, etc. My dogs eat them and never had an issue.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:45 PM
Lord Cynical

The only bones that have ever caused cracked teeth here are weight bearing bones from large animals (i.e. beef shank bones) and antlers.

Bone-inclusive raw items such as chicken necks and backs are, IMO, ideal for puppies.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 12-11-2013, 11:52 PM
Resident fainting goat

I try to stay away from the weight bearing bones.. but other than that (necks, etc..) are ideal. Merlin had those even as a tiny pup!

My family dog is 100% raw and broke a tooth on a nylabone of all things lol
Old 12-12-2013, 05:39 AM
Top Dog

If you are afraid of bones, Sojos and Honest Kitchen both make "base mixes" to add real meat to (and some organ if you want).

A puppy needs calcium and phosphorus to grow--so please feed a complete diet, not just muscle meat and organ.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 12-12-2013, 08:42 AM
Active Pup

The ground up meat includes some extremely finely ground up bone, and I already add one of the sojos mixes to it, as well as include a vitamin supplement suggested by my vet..so I assume he's pretty well covered. But I'll probably try a chicken back or neck and see how he does.

You should always feed raw bones correct? I've alwayd been told cooked bones splinter more. What about boiled bones?
Old 12-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Twin 2

Wings are also good because they are a softer bone. I also like chicken feet a lot. If you're worried about gulping I've noticed they tend to chew more when it's frozen so you could try feeding the stuff frozen.

I've been feeding bones for years and years with no issue. That isn't to say none might ever happen or that they can't. Because they can, and you need to be aware and pay attention when they're eating and watch their poop and behaviors. But, that's what you should be doing anyways.

I am one of those that does feed weight bearing bones like cow legs and heavy duty marrow bones. BUT I only do that because the two I have right now are not chewers, they go for the marrow and the flesh and leave the hard bone. If your dog is a chewer like my Kaylee was then don't because they can hurt their teeth.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
If your dog is a chewer like my Kaylee was then don't because they can hurt their teeth.
Or end up with horrible constipation, blood, straining, and obstruction from the massive shards of bone they have cracked off the bone. We had a case of that recently. Poor dog. Not sure why anyone would allow their dog to demolish a whole bone.

I do feed marrow bones in the summer (when the dogs can eat outside) but like Linds, only because my dogs are not chewers and once the marrow and meat is gone they are done with the bone.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 12-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Active Pup

Are turkey necks ok?
Old 12-12-2013, 06:03 PM
Aware

Turkey necks are fine!