Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Top Dog

Default American Bulldog Questions...

When I think of an American Bulldog, I think of Chance from the movie Homeward Bound- simply put, kind of bigger, heavier Boxer with a tail. Now I'm hearing about how they're deformed, structural nightmares, etc. And the pictures I've seen are of what look like mal-formed Staffordshire Bull Terriers (quite a bit smaller than Chance). Have I been wrong all these years in what I was thinking an American Bulldog is? Or is an American Bully a totally different than breed than I was picturing?
Old 12-30-2013, 08:52 PM
& the Muttly Crew

American Bulldog and American Bullies are two very different things. The second is not a nickname for the first.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 12-30-2013, 08:54 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
When I think of an American Bulldog, I think of Chance from the movie Homeward Bound- simply put, kind of bigger, heavier Boxer with a tail. Now I'm hearing about how they're deformed, structural nightmares, etc. And the pictures I've seen are of what look like mal-formed Staffordshire Bull Terriers (quite a bit smaller than Chance). Have I been wrong all these years in what I was thinking an American Bulldog is? Or is an American Bully a totally different than breed than I was picturing?
An AmBully is not the same as an American Bulldog.

Ambully:

American Bulldog

Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:00 PM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
You're correct in how you were originally picturing American Bulldogs. There is actually more than one type consisting of several lines, the standard or Scott type that looks to most people like an oversized "Pit Bull," and classic or Johnson type that looks like a large Bulldog. The American Bully is a more recent crossbreed, originally of APBT and AmStaff, with Bulldog, and various other molosser/bull breeds.

American BullDOGS:

American BULLY (I tried to pick one of the more structurally "decent" ones):
Old 12-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Top Dog

Wow! You guys are fast! Thanks for clearing my confusion up. I was trying to figure out how a breed could go so tragically wrong so fast.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:24 AM
Sit! Good dog.

I looooooove the American bulldogs!! Sadly they are one of the new "status dogs" over here and tend to be bred and owned by the wrong kinds of people (clueless, just want a big hard looking dog, tend to go through a lot of dogs in a very short space of time, swap them, sell them, breed them)

I have no idea about their temperament but I find them very aesthetically pleasing
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 12-31-2013, 11:57 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
...I have no idea about their temperament but I find them very aesthetically pleasing
Me, too. Which is one of the reasons for my questions. I met one a few years after Homeward Bound came out. Someone from a day group at camp brought it. Not sure if it's typical of the breed, but that one was friendly and sweet.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:14 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I think I've loved every American Bulldog I've ever met. They are just awesome dogs.

I also had to explain the difference of an American Bully and an American Bulldog to my coworkers...it pained me deeply inside to see the Ambully that came in labeled as an American Bulldog.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:46 PM
Blonde Raccoon

We have a couple that come in at work regularly and both are lovely; just generally good-natured dogs (though they play pretty rough but that's kind of expected). One of my co-workers is getting an American Bulldog puppy sometime next year and I'm really stoked for her .. can't wait to watch one grow up.

Paris - On Target's Oooh La La
Seamus O'Grady, the supermutt.

& Sally, never forgotten.