Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Top Dog

Default Do people think your dog is pooping?

I'm curious. Do people often mistake your dog urinating for pooping?

I have become paranoid ever since this summer when someone yelled at me while driving down the street when Kili stopped to pop a squat. The exact wording was "PICK UP THAT DOG S***" to which I screamed back (I was in a bad mood that morning, lol) "She's peeing, dumba$$".

This is my first female dog and I know that they squat for both and that not everyone is super dog savvy... but still, I can tell if a dog is pooping or squatting from half a mile away. But then I remembered that I've had little kids ask me why Summit squats to pee. Summit does not squat to pee. He just doesn't lift his leg when peeing on a horizontal surface, only for vertical. So if people think that the typical male "stand and stretch" is a squat, then I suppose a female actually squatting would seem unusual.

Anyway, now whenever Kili pops a squat I think everyone is looking and shaking their heads that I'm not picking up after her. If there are people on foot anywhere nearby I usually say as loudly as I can, without seeming strange, "Good girl, good pee pees!". But the cars driving by don't get that benefit.

So how about it... do people think your female dog is pooping and you're not picking up? Have you been reamed out before?

(Also note, I try not to let my dogs even urinate on people's lawns, but sometimes it happens when I'm not paying attention. And really, I don't think a bit of dog pee on the very edge of someone's lawn is the end of the world, I just try to be considerate and use the easement as much as possible.)

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 12-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Silence, peasants.

Ummm, I guess it doesn't really bother me if they think my dog is pooping and I'm being a bad person by leaving it? Never really thought to bother about it. The scenario you described did happen once to my mom with our little old lady dog, and a similar exchange followed.

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 12-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Got Floof?

I think you're worrying a little too much. you can't please everyone, so just move on.

Kobe the Fluffy Cloud, Alaskan Malibu-te, Mar. '05
Syl the Stormblessed, Border Collie, Dec. '13

Old 12-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Huh, I never thought about it.

But honestly? **** 'em. LOL. I wouldn't worry about it unless it was like, a neighbor or something who was accusing me of leaving dog poop around. I don't care what people driving by or whatever think.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Top Dog

I don't think I've had that problem. I tend to ignore people when I'm walking the dogs, though. I'm not a huge fan of my neighborhood when it comes to dog walking.

I do get annoyed when people feel the need to acknowledge, loudly, that my dog is 'doing her business'. Yes, I realize she is pooping. Yes, I will pick it up. When she's finished. You don't flush the toilet half-way through a sitting, do you?

(Gwen likes to 'spread the love'.)
Old 12-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Top Dog

Well, I guess it bothers me because I don't appreciate finding dog poop that someone hasn't picked up on my lawn or when I'm out and about. I think it's really quite irresponsible to not pick up after your pet and it gives dogs and dog owners a bad rep. I always pick up after my dogs except if they go off the trail on a hike, so I don't appreciate being yelled or accused of things I didn't do. Also, we are pretty much the only greyhounds in town so it's not like we're very anonymous.

It just bugs me I guess.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 12-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Not a Border Collie

I've noticed that non-dog people have a hard time distinguishing between the two postures, lol. No ones yelled at me because I'm rural, so the dogs don't get walked like that, but I've learned I cannot trust my mom's bf. He would always say that he let Quinn out and she pooed, but she'd still be staring at me and asking to go out. Sure enough, she'd go within 30 seconds of letting her outside again. I think he was just seeing her pee, which she always does right away.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 12-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Puppy Dog

I worry about that also. I live in a small town where everyone knows everyone and I am afraid someone will think I am being irresponsible when Grace squats because they think it is something that should be cleaned up instead of pee. I know it is silly but I want to be sure to set a good example for some people who dont clean up after their dogs.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Big Dog

Lucy is the alpha female, and pops a squat every 20 feet when we are on walks. I've never had anyone say that to me. I have had people yell at me to pick up the dog's sh*t while she was pooping... I don't know about you, but i prefer to wait and pick up dog crap off the ground and not try to get her to crap into the bag. Idiot. Anyway, I guess my only advice is to either get comfortable giving people the finger, or to just learn to ignore.