Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-26-2013, 02:29 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Default What x-ray views should I ask for?

So Muffin is going in for his first dental in a bit over a month. While he's under I'd like to get a couple screening x-rays.... So what should I ask for? I'd like hips and elbows, but any others? Also, he's about 19.5 inches from shoulders to butt... Would it be feasible for them to position him that hips and the rest of his body is on one film just to make sure there's nothing funky in his body without taking a bunch of x-rays?
Old 11-26-2013, 02:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
Would it be feasible for them to position him that hips and the rest of his body is on one film just to make sure there's nothing funky in his body without taking a bunch of x-rays?
Probably not. Generally speaking the only animals we get all in one shot are cats or smaller (rabbits, birds, etc.). Also, the area of interest should be centered on the view to reduce distortion. So if you centre on the hips you're not going to get a good clear view of the abdomen.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 11-26-2013, 02:56 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Well darn, I was hoping to save some $. :P

Alright, so for a middle aged man what would be the best x-rays to take? As previously stated doing hips and elbows bc I want to know what to expect as he ages... But any other views that would be of mod-high priority?
Old 11-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Top Dog

I would ask for lateral lumbar spine as well, since he's a corgi.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 11-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Just try me..

Dekka recently had her spine done. It was very useful, and showed that two of her vertebrae are nearly touching. (though now that we fixed her face you would never know that her back HAS to be hurting at times)
Old 11-26-2013, 06:59 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Frodo is going under mid-December and I want carpi (wrists), spine, and hips. And essentially anything else the doctor wants I will have them do. But he's also in pain and we need to figure out why.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:33 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Yes, I will def have spine done!!! Good call! He likes to log roll while running instead of turn bc he is a weirdo. LOL. The twisting is slightly concerning.

I hope Dekka's back isn't hurting her too much. I know terriers are stoic(obviously she is after the mouth thing), but I always hate to think they're even in a little pain. Luckily Muffin is such a Diva he lets me know when there might even be the slight possibility something might potentially hurt him at some time in the future.

PW: do you think wrists would be more important than an elbow view for corgis? With their dwarfing that whole area gets all skewed and Muff has TINY legs... Like *maybe* 4 inches... he's about 10.5 inches tall, it's mostly all chest.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:59 PM
Top Dog

I'm never really a fan of going to look for something just for the sake of looking. Especially something as nondescript as a plainfilm x-ray.

It's only a piece of a puzzle and it by itself usually means nothing. Even much more sensitive imaging like MRI are pretty pointless without having a plan and meaning behind the views.

you can always find "stuff" if you go looking. Trust me. The presence or absence of something on the films usually doesn't mean a whole lot without a whole bunch of other clues and pieces in place.

To sum it up, of you're doing it for piece of mind, it isn't worth it really. The only reason I do hips and elbows is for breeding. If I wasn't, I probably wouldn't. I keep my dogs in good shape and in good health. The best preventative ever invented
Old 11-26-2013, 09:19 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post

PW: do you think wrists would be more important than an elbow view for corgis? With their dwarfing that whole area gets all skewed and Muff has TINY legs... Like *maybe* 4 inches... he's about 10.5 inches tall, it's mostly all chest.
I'm having Frodo's wrists done because his turn out like a basset hound's do, and he HATES having them touched. I would not even be a little bit surprised if he ends up being arthritic in them.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:09 AM
<----Thanks Allie

Lightbulb

PW: That makes sense. Muffin's are fairly straight forward, but so much of his leg is wrist, I think I might ask the vets opinion on wrists vs elbows. I'd like to hit as many potential problem areas as possible.

RTH: Based on this response as well as numerous others, I think it's safe to say our healthcare ideas are completely different. And that's ok, but we are on polar opposites of the spectrum.

Since I didn't explicitly state my reasons for the x-rays, in the event of lurkers I will.

Any person or animal should operate within a set of "normal" limits. That being said, one persons normal is not always the same as another person's. The average heart rate for a human is 60-100bpm... But you could have one person who stays at 80 and one person who stays at 60, if all of a sudden their rates switched(ie the 60bpm was at 80 without exertion) that would be an abnormal rate for that person even though it falls within normal limits. Therefore, I firmly believe the best medicine is practiced when the dr has a history of that particular person/animals normals. Since animals can not speak beyond body language, I feel it's even more important to have an established baseline for them.

Since Muffin is undergoing a procedure already that involves him going under, now is the time for me to grab any x-rays I want. This will give me that baseline as he ages and he starts developing something. In 3 years he starts with pain, they x-ray, now they can compare to the previous x-ray without that pain to help them better treat him. Also, if anything weird does come back on the x-rays it gives me something to watch as time progresses. His hips might not be bothering him right now, x-ray comes back and they're pretty bad... Now I can keep that in mind for future and plan accordingly.

And, at the end of the day... It's my dog, my money, I can choose to screen him as much as I want. :P