Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Default Favorite Balancing/Strength Games?

Just what the titles. What are your favorite games for building core strength, back end strength or Balance?

Talon recently showed us that the previous balance games really helped his overall back end strength and balance. So I'm looking for other fun games/tricks to do with him to continue to increase his back end strength, core strength, and balance.

I'm a visual learner so if you have pics or video fo the trick that would be great! thanks!
Old 11-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

I know that "sitting pretty" works on the core muscles, as well as sitting pretty, standing, then sitting again.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Silence, peasants.

We play do weird stuff on the wobbly disc, but I really need to work on building the muscles in Feist's hind end. Tricks like lifting opposite front and back leg / same side front and back are really good!

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 11-21-2013, 11:04 PM
BusterLove

Atm I'm doing a lot of sitting pretty, then "walk" (standing upright on back legs) and now I've started trying to teach her to go from "walk" to "sit pretty" without her front feet touch the floor.

I also get her to do sit pretty on her fitball for core strength and am starting to try to fade my assistance in holding the ball and make her work at keeping it stable.

Also handstand work. She looks so strong when you picks her hind legs up in unison and places them on a wall.

The downside to this was that when she was fearful of people, trying to get the vet to have a look at her was near impossible. She is insanely strong for a dog her size.

The upside is knowing she's super fit. And when I pick her up I have to do about 0 effort. I put my arm under her front legs and she just lifts herself up, and as I scoop my arm under her backside she just pulls her legs up into my arms. I should film it, it looks cool.

You could also teach them to target their nose to their flank on either side for longer periods of time like a stretch... this is kind of assuming that dog abs work like human abs though... and I have very limited experience with either.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
We play do weird stuff on the wobbly disc, but I really need to work on building the muscles in Feist's hind end. Tricks like lifting opposite front and back leg / same side front and back are really good!
That's really good idea, I'd love to teach him to put one of his back feets on something ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose_s View Post
Atm I'm doing a lot of sitting pretty, then "walk" (standing upright on back legs) and now I've started trying to teach her to go from "walk" to "sit pretty" without her front feet touch the floor.

I also get her to do sit pretty on her fitball for core strength and am starting to try to fade my assistance in holding the ball and make her work at keeping it stable.

Also handstand work. She looks so strong when you picks her hind legs up in unison and places them on a wall.

The downside to this was that when she was fearful of people, trying to get the vet to have a look at her was near impossible. She is insanely strong for a dog her size.

The upside is knowing she's super fit. And when I pick her up I have to do about 0 effort. I put my arm under her front legs and she just lifts herself up, and as I scoop my arm under her backside she just pulls her legs up into my arms. I should film it, it looks cool.

You could also teach them to target their nose to their flank on either side for longer periods of time like a stretch... this is kind of assuming that dog abs work like human abs though... and I have very limited experience with either.
I haven't done Handstand with Talon yet, that may be fun. I do a lot of "sit, down, stand" etc and we are working on sit pretty, with very slow succesas. Touching his nose to his hind end is an awesome idea for a stretch! I think I'll make the cue to that one be "Do you smell that?" LOL

Thanks!