Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Kung Pow Fish

Default how do you make gaiting and stacking fun?

tori hasnt had much training, because im lazy and a terrible trainer anyway, but she is very good at holding a stack, but she hates it. and gaiting. she hunches and lags and acts like its horrible, so of course she looks like utter **** too. i just bought some tiny cookies and i found my clicker so now im wondering what silly dog tricks i can teach her to make htings fun, and also how to use a clicker and treating to make "showing" fun for her, while also being very polished (ie, nice self stacks that she holds, looking the correct way, etc)?
Old 11-25-2013, 06:21 PM
Top Dog

I just free shaped everything with my boy. I keep it fun and relaxed I've clicker trained from the minute he came home, and he loves it. And thankfully loves to be in the ring!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:14 PM
Kung Pow Fish

i dont know what free shaping is?
Old 11-25-2013, 09:37 PM
Top Dog

Marking behaviors that I want. So if he would stand next to me, in front of me ect calmly I would click/treat. Soon he offered it, the we would add a cue word. Do this with every behavior I can.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:36 AM
Top Dog

I took a handling seminar with a pro handler and here's what he did for dogs like this. When the dog is free stacked, flick little bits of bait at her head occasionally. It's not important that she catches it, just that she starts thinking stacking is fun and she'd better look alert, because treats might come flying at any minute. For gaiting, he would roll bait out ahead so the dog was driving towards it alertly and looking engaged because there might be food to chase. Basically, use bait and your own actions to play with the dog and keep her excited and engaged.

Showing personality and enjoyment is more important than holding a perfect free stack, IMO. Get the excitement and the rest of it will come. Don't over practice the boring stuff and focus on the fun bits. I'd rather have my dog a little wild and full of it in the ring than bored, even if he doesn't hold a stack as well or bunny hops once going around the ring.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 11-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Top Dog

http://sue-eh.ca/resources/Stack.pdf

http://sue-eh.ca/resources/Gait.pdf
Old 11-30-2013, 01:09 PM
Sit! Good dog.

So helpful, wish I'd seen this a year ago!!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein