Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-12-2013, 12:23 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Default The Cat Saga Continues....

First thing to keep in mind Sammy and Thea are not mine. I am not responsible for them and I don't have the money to be. Zoe is mine.

Some of you know I found Zoe and brought her home. The evil one, Sammy, was less than happy and tried to kill her. Since then things have gotten better. My parents were disciplining Sammy (not my idea but they did it any way). They would yell at her and lock her in the laundry room (with food, water and a litter box). Now Sammy will occasionally slap Zoe but its one or two slaps and then walk away.

A few weeks ago we went to the farm and left the cats at home for the weekend. We have always done this. Never and issues. We did take Zoe since I don't completely trust Sammy. We came back and mom left the bag of her pills on the counter. When she woke up the next morning there was pee on it. Zoe was locked in my room all night so that's out. Ok so maybe Sammy was mad at mom. She is very much moms cat.

Fast forward to this weekend. There have been no incidents since that one. We again left the 2 adult cats at home an took Zoe. Mom locked them in the laundry room while the guys came to clean the carpets. When they finished mom let them out and came to the farm. I had to come back into town on Saturday for work (we left Friday). So I stop by the house to give Thea her thyroid pill and check the food and water. There was poop in the middle of the living room. Right in the middle. The cat boxes are down stairs. So if it was close to a box I wouldn't worry. Ok so fine maybe they had a moment and I just clean it up. No new messes when I check again that night before going back to the farm.

Sunday evening I come back home with Katie. There is poop downstairs in the toy room. Everything had been cleared off the rugs for the cleaners so there was nothing to poop in just bare rug. So now I'm a bit concerned. Both stools were healthy looking. Maybe a little in the grey side.

This morning dad had left 2 empty bags a water softener salt at the back door for me to take out on my way to my car. There was pee on the top. I cleaned it up and was going to talk to mom about it. I come home about 2hrs later and was told Sammy peed in the middle of the kitchen floor.

I have entertained the idea that its Thea. She is 14 with a thyroid issue so yeah she could be incontinent. But it just seems to deliberate and Thea rarely goes on the counter.

So now I need to deal with it because its my cat that is causing the problem because Sammy wouldn't do this if she wasn't mad at Zoe. That's my mom says.

Any ideas? I can't take Sammy or Thea to the vet. Not my cats and I don't have the money. It took a month to convince them to take Thea to the vet and it turned out she had the thyroid issue. They aren't bad people they just don't want to spend a lot on a animal even though they are loved

I don't want to give Sammy away. She is a special case. Mean and evil bit scared of the world. She's moms baby if she was PTS because of behaviours caused my my cat mom would be so hurt and I would be so guilty. I don't want to get rid of Zoe. She is so my cat and we are so bonded. I have never had a cat that I was so bonded with. I would never forgive Sammy for it.

In a perfect world I would take Sammy and probably Thea too to see if there is a medical thing.

Any thoughts on what I can try? I'm going to talk to mom about the vet thing tonight or tomorrow. If my cat caused this I will feel so guilty. I just don't I ow what to do, and no moving isn't a option

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 11-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Behavior Nerd

Since vet visits are out for now, I'd probably look into a Feliway diffuser to see if that helps with the household tension, which can also cause inappropriate elimination.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Top Dog

My general course of action with litter box issues is to first start by making sure there is not a hidden uti, etc.

I'm not sure how many boxes you have, but you might consider adding extra boxes in other areas of the house. Sometimes if there are issues between cats, one will not sure the litterbox if the other cat is nearby.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:51 PM
F150 and a .30-06

I will try the diffusers. I'm not sure adding another box will work. The weekends that have has issues Zoe wasn't even home and Sammy grew up with Thea and has never had a issue.

I will look into adding a 3rd box. Not sure how that will go over...

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 11-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
So now I need to deal with it because its my cat that is causing the problem because Sammy wouldn't do this if she wasn't mad at Zoe. That's my mom says.
This is your mom anthropomorphizing. It's true that pottying outside of the litter box can be caused by territorial tension, but it's not deliberate acting out, it's not Sammy being "mad" at your mom or the other cat. Cats just don't think that way.

Some of it sounds like marking territory - the bag of pills smelled like the farm so needed to be peed on... the carpets were just cleaned so needed to be marked with poo... the bags of water softener, I could see that too. The only one that doesn't totally fit the pattern is the peeing in the middle of the kitchen...
It could also just be a reaction to stress. Locked in a room and strangers came to clean the carpets, and the family was gone. How long have you had Zoe? There could still be adjustment from that too.

Is it possible to just keep Zoe in your room all the time? It wouldn't be much fun for Zoe, but it would keep her out of Sammy's way and might reduce the tension and territorial stuff that's going on. Zoe would have her own litter box, so Sammy might not avoid using hers because it smells like Zoe?

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 11-12-2013, 05:30 PM
F150 and a .30-06

I try to keep Zoe in my room as much as possible. My room is tiny and the stink of the cat box on it with cleaning it daily and a air purifier I just can't handle that.

Sammy has never done this. We leave them at home all the time. She's 8ish years old and used to it.

Zoe has been here about 2 months.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:56 PM
Obey the Toad.

Are the areas where Sammy has pottied areas that Zoe hangs out? Our cat Sadie would pee and poop in Sally's crate when we first got Sally until we moved the crate into our bedroom. We've now had Sally for 8 years and only a couple of years ago we put a dog bed in our dining room and Sadie peed on it twice. She doesn't bother the beds or crate in our bedroom, only out in whatever living space she considers "hers."

Also I think it's very possible that the older cat is doing this (unless this has been witnessed), especially since she has health issues. I really wouldn't rule that out and could be a sign that she is having some further issues.

I would do whatever you can to get your mom to have both cats to the vet, but if that is not possible add another litter box-I've always heard one per cat-our 2 cats have 3 boxes and use all of them. It could be that Sammy and Thea had each been using one certain box and with another cat it the mix it has changed and Sammy doesn't like that.

There is also a product out called "Cat Attract." It's a litter that is suppose to be preferable to cats and encourage little box use.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:56 PM
F150 and a .30-06

So I convinced mom to take Sammy to the vet. She has a appointment Saturday. I talked to the vet a bit about it yesterday at Zoe's appointment. Mom just wants the drugs since its not a medical problem (according to her). Zoe has been banned to my room and when I get home tonight from work I dumping out the car box and cleaning it top to bottom to make sure not sent it Zoe remains. Your good vibes would be appreciated. Sammy peed twice last night

Old 11-14-2013, 02:10 PM
Obey the Toad.

For the litter box in your room Tidy Cats makes a "small spaces" litter that is supposed I be good...

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I'm glad she's taking her to the vet! Not that I ever want an animal to be sick but if it does turn out to be medical and easily treated, I think that would help settle tensions in the house. Vibes for a good result!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog