Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Top Dog

Thank you very much for all of your replies!

Quote:
Well a rat can't send somebody to the hospital, or kill them. Is this your own dog or a dog at the shelter/rescue?
This is my own dog.

Quote:
Are you describing your own dog? It sounds like you already know what the answer is but you're just coming here for confirmation?
Yes mamn I am. And yes, that is true.

Quote:
You put them down because of the breed image, as sad as it is. Many die hard APBT have been through this and do it for the safety of the public, the dog, themselves and the breed as a whole.

The breed has a VERY damaged reputation and every bite is another nail in the BSL coffin, that so many people fight with everything they have to prevent.
Exactly. Exactly why I am heartbroken over this, and forcing myself to face this decision, after he bit me today.

Quote:
Never mind the Pit Bulls image. Never mind that he could seriously hurt or kill someone. It CAN'T be fun for a dog to live that way, constantly in fear. Are they sure it's fear aggression though, and not something medical?
He does not live in constant fear - he has a lot of fun at home, playing in the back yard. And when he is with my other dog on walks, he has a lot more confidence. However, if he goes on walks on his own, he slinks and has his tail between his legs. When he meets new people he shys away, puts his hackles up, and growls. He has done this since he was 8 weeks old...when he warms up to them, he is great with them, loves to play, etc. but if he gets scared for whatever reason - even if he is told to come when he doesn't want to come, and then his collar is grabbed, he bites. I'm pretty sure it's nothing medical...

Quote:
It sucks adopting a puppy and hoping with all your heart that this puppy will be "the one", that it will be THAT dog, the one that will be with you for the next stage of your life, and...it just isn't.
Thank you for saying this. He was my first dog after Georgia (my heart dog) died. So I really had hope that he would be "the one", you know? It sucks.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:12 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
What kinds of bites? Have you seen the chart of bite 'levels'?

Trey landed 3 bites but they weren't past level 2. Some blood drawn but no deep punctures. To me those are not 'serious bites'. Worth being aware of and you need to be getting a game plan to manage that dog but euthanasia wouldn't be crossing my mind at all.

In my opinion, a bite isn't a bite isn't a bite. It would depend on the circumstances leading up to the bite and if I could work on them/manage them. It would also depend on the severity of the bite. That goes for all breeds.
He has never inflicted deep puncture wounds, however he has ripped skin and drawn blood. So it sounds like his bites weren't past level 2, either.

But I just wanted to say ANY kind of bite inflicted by a pit bull is going to be blown out of proportion and thrown against the breed...especially a bite that draws blood...sure I could keep him in the backyard 24/7 at home, and not take him out in public. I could keep him kenneled anytime we have visitors. Constantly be careful. I just worry. I worry because what if he gets out of the yard one day (just some freak accident since our yard is fenced and when unsupervised the dogs are indoors or crated) and a kid like me (I would always try to catch stray dogs as a kid) tries to get him? And he bites?
Old 11-13-2013, 08:16 PM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

I will personally never keep an unstable APBT alive for any reason. Sometimes, people can keep an unstable dog safely and choose to keep a dog like that alive. But this dog has already been put into situations and allowed to bite multiple people. That's the point where it becomes personal because it has the great potential to negatively affect me and my own, temperamentally stable APBTs, and I'd have to very honestly recommend euthanasia. Sorry.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Top Dog

It's your decision on what to do, but don't use his breed as a cop out.

Managing a fearful dog sucks and it isn't for everyone. But make sure your decision is the best for you and your dog.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:31 PM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chrome View Post
It's your decision on what to do, but don't use his breed as a cop out.
Do you honestly think a Golden Retriever biting a person has the same impact (as far as how people perceive you and your individual dog, much less the breed and other people your actions affect) as an APBT biting someone?
Old 11-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Obey the Toad.

Sally is timid with strangers, but luckily her reaction is flight. She has no interest in aggression, just escape. We do manage her to keep her out of situations that might put her over the edge-no sense in tempting fate.

I used to be of the opinion that if either of my dogs bit it would mean PTS. The more I've learned about dogs however, the more that opinion has changed somewhat.

I don't think you can really compare rats and dogs as far as your response to that aggression. I have a bird that is unpredictable. He has bitten both DH and I pretty badly. He draws blood and latches on, often having to be pried off as gently as possible while having blood pouring out of your finger. He sometimes is fine and friendly and sometimes unpredictably aggressive. However, he is easily managed. Nobody outside of DH, myself, and vet staff ever touch him. The vet staff is always warned that he will bite violently if allowed, and will probably try to bite them through the towel when they wrap him in it. They are used to handling birds and can deal with him accordingly. If he were a dog with this sort of temperament and behavior? He would have been PTS already. It would be extremely dangerous to ourselves and the public.

I can say that I would probably PTS if I were in your shoes, but I'm not in your shoes, and it's easy to judge when you've never even met the dog, much less are his owner. I think you need to take a good honest look at this dog, his behavior, and whether it can be managed. At the end of the day it is YOU who have to live with the decision one way or the other. I'm very sorry you have to go through this.

Just one thing, have you tried any meds on him? That might be a way to take the edge off if you try behavior modification.

Either way, lots of (((HUGS))).

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:42 PM
I'm All Ears

Honestly I would probably not put down a dog for a level two bite. In my experience that's a dog wanting to send a warning, not really wanton to damage. Manage the heck out of him? Yes. But I've known overstimulated dogs that have bitten and landed a level 2...

Trey could not go everywhere. He had to be managed pretty closely and wasn't allowed around visitors. I would never leave a dog like that unsupervised outside either.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Obey the Toad.

I'm actually most concerned that the fear aggression is happening with people the dog knows well. Have you worked with a trainer or behaviorist one on one with this?

~Christina--Mom to:
Jack--6 yr old Labrador

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:51 PM
Top Dog

Thanks again for your replies.

Quote:
That's the point where it becomes personal because it has the great potential to negatively affect me and my own, temperamentally stable APBTs.
I completely understand.

Quote:
But don't use his breed as a cop out.
Do you not understand your breed and where their image is in the world today?

Quote:
Just one thing, have you tried any meds on him? That might be a way to take the edge off if you try behavior modification.
No I have not. I will check into that tomorrow.

Quote:
I'm actually most concerned that the fear aggression is happening with people the dog knows well. Have you worked with a trainer or behaviorist one on one with this?
That is what confuses me as well. He trusts people one moment and the next he is very, very scared of them. I will e-mail a trainer tonight and get their opinion.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:00 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullLove View Post
Thanks again for your replies.

I completely understand.

Do you not understand your breed and where their image is in the world today?

No I have not. I will check into that tomorrow.

That is what confuses me as well. He trusts people one moment and the next he is very, very scared of them. I will e-mail a trainer tonight and get their opinion.
I would see if you could get an actual one on one with a trainer-especially if you are seriously considering PTS. Some will work with you on price. One thing I know for sure is that I absolutely would not make that decision without having a trainer evaluate the dog in person first.

Are you sure it is pure fear or has he possibly learned by fear biting that he can just get you away when you are doing something he doesn't like? He has the option to duck and flee when you grab his collar but he bites instead...

~Christina--Mom to:
Jack--6 yr old Labrador

Labs do it in the lake.