Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
thats all a growl is. a "no"
Oddly enough, your first sentence is correct - a growl is communication. But this statement is incorrect. It's not always a "no."
Ever hear a dog growl during play?

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 11-20-2013, 10:09 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
growling is communication, its not aggression. THIS is the mentality that drives me batty about this entire thing. this belief that the dog is being some jerkwad asshole, and not that its communicating a desire for space/cessation of something/whatever. "HOW DARE YOU OBJECT TO SOMETHING I WANT BECAUSE I AM THE HUMAN AND YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE SAME THOUGHTS AS ME" is all im seeing here, when people flip their **** over their dogs saying "no" to anything. thats all a growl is. a "no"
Nobody's saying they would think their dog was being a jerkwad asshole for growling, they're just saying they'd be surprised if a dog who didn't normally growled in a certain context growled in that context. And if you noticed, most if not all of them said they would investigate to see if they could figure out why - that is "Oh gosh, something must be wrong because Fluffy doesn't normally growl in this situation!" vs "JERKWAD YOU DON'T GET TO GROWL EVERRRRRRR."

Honesty I'd be surprised if Maisy ever growled at a human being. I wouldn't be mad and I don't think she doesn't have a right to, but she is not the kind of dog that says "no" to people. If she were a person, she'd be a people pleasing doormat. So yea, it would be very very surprising. Not sure why it's bad to be surprised by a dog doing something out of character? Especially when an owner uses that as information to investigate if the dog has a new problem like pain, illness, etc?

Old 11-20-2013, 10:21 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

For the record Payton growled at Auggie's dad a few weekends ago, and it was because he was being a jerkwad asshole.
But it didn't surprise me though, because I know he's a jerkwad asshole.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 11-20-2013, 11:05 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
growling is communication, its not aggression. THIS is the mentality that drives me batty about this entire thing. this belief that the dog is being some jerkwad asshole, and not that its communicating a desire for space/cessation of something/whatever. "HOW DARE YOU OBJECT TO SOMETHING I WANT BECAUSE I AM THE HUMAN AND YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE SAME THOUGHTS AS ME" is all im seeing here, when people flip their **** over their dogs saying "no" to anything. thats all a growl is. a "no"
I'm not flipping anything, nobody here was. And yes, growling is communication, it's aggressive communication. At least in this case (as has been pointed out, sometimes it's play), it was clear "I don't like that bitch" communication, and once we understood that was what he was saying, that was that. Pirate is not a jerkwad asshole, he's a very sweet and tolerant dog who just doesn't happen to like his sister. That's fine, he doesn't have to like her. But it did shock me when he let us know that, because he had never shown any dislike for another dog before.

Now, if Tess growled at another dog, I wouldn't be shocked at all, because she's a bitch like that. If she went up to a strange dog all waggy and friendly and tried to initiate play, I'd be so shocked I might not survive the experience, because she really isn't fond of other dogs. She's not what I'd call dog aggressive, if she's off leash, she will avoid other dogs. But if she was acting like she was stricken with love for a dog she'd never met before, I would be absolutely dumbfounded.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:12 AM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

LOL yes a growl can be doggish for "stop being a jerk wad asshole", a growl can also be used playfully, much like when people horseplay with each other and use "aggression" playfully.

The casual dog owner would be shocked to hear my dogs playing because it sounds like they are killing each other. I think it's not as much about the context of the growl as it is about how people interpret the growl in question and the situation surrounding it.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:19 AM
such sights to show you

Pip grumbles and growls and huffs and trills and barks all the livelong day. He's a dog who believes in telling the world how he feels, frequently and emphatically. Sure it might be a warning, but it might be complaining or he might want his breakfast and I'm taking too long. He might be being a jerkwad or he might be impatient or he might be really anxious. It depends entirely on the context.

I'd almost rather be shocked that a dog growled, at least it registers that something is probably actually wrong beyond a dog three yards away doing something he disapproves of.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:55 AM
I'm All Ears

I would be shocked if Summer growled at a human. She's just so incredibly passive and human friendly. I've never seen an ounce of anything like that aimed at a human (she does growl at Mia and Beau on occasion when they're obnoxious). Not that I think she'd be WRONG to growl in the right circumstances but she's just so friendly and passive.

Mia on the other hand growls quite often. She's very... Vocal about what she thinks and she over analyzes things. She growls when people are doing things out of place because it spooks her. Shes also a jerk to other dogs too. So with her growling is normal. Shes also a grumbler or complainer and will by golly let you know! Nikki was another growler and grumbler. She used to growl and snark the whole way out the door if you woke her up during a nap to go potty. She's let you know her opinions about that lmao. Neither Mia nor Nikki are generally warning with a growl. With Mia it's usually 'I'm not comfortable, I want to get away'. Nikki was usually 'I want to let you know you're a jerk' lol. When Trey growled it meant serious sh$t was about o go down and you needed to BACK OFF.

Summer just has ZERO of that edge so it would be weird to me if Summer reacted towards a person in any way other than 'omg I LOVE you! Hold me please!'
Old 11-21-2013, 02:03 AM
Top Dog

The ONE TIME in 7 years I've ever seen Charlotte act in any way negative towards a person, she timidly ducked her head away from their hand and slinked behind me. It was a guy on the street who was drunk. She's NEVER growled at a person. And to be clear, like others have said, if she did, I wouldn't hold it against her, but I would be very shocked and want to know why.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 11-21-2013, 03:18 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Oh, and I lied...Abrams does growl. When he is super happy anx excited and playing he will let out a growl. It scares some people because they think he's being aggressive or possessive, but in reality, he's just very happy!

Old 11-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Taxiderpy

I'd be shocked if I won the lottery. Dismay has nothing to do with it.

Strider rumbles and growls constantly. It's his voice, and whatever. He growls when he plays, when he says hi, when he's ticked off, etc. It's pretty rare that he's doing an F-U! growl, and those you can tell because of his body language.

Kaia NEVER growls. I would be shocked to hear her growl, and would probably rush in and make an appointment with a vet right away to make sure she wasn't sick or injured. Either that, or be highly suspicious of whoever she's growling at.