Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 06-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Duuuuude.

Default Performance Pembroke Welsh Corgi breeders?

I've seen multiple people, here and on other boards, that it's easier to find a working/sport Pembroke than Cardigan. I've found it difficult to find any Pembroke breeders that do more than just dabble in agility/herding though. I've found a few that have produced a handful of dogs that have obtained some high level titles but none that own the dogs themselves.

Am I just not looking in the right places? Or is it just that Pemmies are, as a breed, more adept at performance events so even if the breeding stock isn't titled, there's a better chance of getting a good prospect? Does anyone have any breeder recommendations? I know we've got some corgi Chazzers!

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 06-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Top Dog

I, and my fiance, have a Cardigan Corgi each. They do performance sports. Our breeder is not breeding for it though, he's a conformation breeder - they're failed hold-backs for conformation.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Puppy Dog

I don't know much about pembrokes, but there are a few Cardi breeders who breed for performance and conformation. The breeder that Chekhov came from doesn't specifically breed for performance, but he seems to have several performance prospects in every litter. Finding a drivey Cardi isn't too hard, I think what takes a little more work is finding one that isn't too heavy boned and has a little more leg (comparatively!).
Old 06-04-2012, 06:58 PM
<----Thanks Allie

When I was looking at Cardigans I found a few that breeders that either did both or a lot of their puppies did well in performance in their new homes.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:06 PM
Duuuuude.

Yeah, I've looked at both the Cardigan and the Pembroke (two entirely different breeds but both with traits I like) and I noticed that about the Cardis. I've actually spent a lot more time looking into them. The Pembroke is newer to me

Old 06-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Lord Cynical

Revy's breeder has had god luck with producing good performance dogs. Really versatile dogs with stable temperaments... not always easy to find in Pembrokes.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 06-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Duuuuude.

Stability is (obviously) huge for me. From the time I've spent around Pems at work, I can see how it might be a delicate balance! Ice always thought Revy was gorgeous! Is her breeder still producing dogs? You can PM me if you'd like, I'd love to learn more.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Lord Cynical

A ton of Pembrokes I've met have temperament issues. It's sad that it's swiftly becoming the stereotype for Pembrokes... that they're cranky little a-holes. Revy is a talker, but she's a genuinely nice Pembroke that doesn't fly off the handle over anything. I actually remember Sara saying something about finally being able to meet a NICE Pembroke when we visited her last year!

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 06-05-2012, 08:00 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
Revy's breeder has had god luck with producing good performance dogs. Really versatile dogs with stable temperaments... not always easy to find in Pembrokes.
That seems to be how it goes these days. You either get the watered down sweet and lovey, fluffy stuffy *cough-fat* show dog. Or, you get the Royal snob. I have the latter. Yes his attitude has at times caused problems, but I do find him VERY well controlled and VERY "polite" with his tude'. He's very good at warning without escalating, but that is where his butt gets in trouble as people see a "vicious dog", I'm not going to say he's all talk though, he has quite a firm grip that's all I'll say.

As for breeders, can't really help much, I have seen dogs from one who mostly competes in Agility with her own dogs, and sells to show home on the side, but I don't know much else as her dogs aren't really to my taste (small, light of frame, "Americanized heads", open coats...).
Old 06-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paviche View Post
I've seen multiple people, here and on other boards, that it's easier to find a working/sport Pembroke than Cardigan. I've found it difficult to find any Pembroke breeders that do more than just dabble in agility/herding though. I've found a few that have produced a handful of dogs that have obtained some high level titles but none that own the dogs themselves.

Am I just not looking in the right places? Or is it just that Pemmies are, as a breed, more adept at performance events so even if the breeding stock isn't titled, there's a better chance of getting a good prospect? Does anyone have any breeder recommendations? I know we've got some corgi Chazzers!
You might look for a corgi specialty that has performance events or better yet corgi nationals. I've met a number of pemmie breeders who were competing in herding, agility and obedience at the national.

I'm out of the loop at the moment, so I can't really give you names of breeders, but they are out there.

Also, yes, you are more likely to get a good performance dog out of poor breeding in pemmies than cardis, in large part simply because structurally pemmies are more suitable -- shorter back, straighter legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
A ton of Pembrokes I've met have temperament issues. It's sad that it's swiftly becoming the stereotype for Pembrokes... that they're cranky little a-holes. Revy is a talker, but she's a genuinely nice Pembroke that doesn't fly off the handle over anything. I actually remember Sara saying something about finally being able to meet a NICE Pembroke when we visited her last year!
That is very sad. I have never met one that was a "cranky little a-hole". Opinionated and snarky? Sure, love 'em for that. But stable nonetheless and really quite nice.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team