Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 05-15-2006, 02:31 PM
and Fozzie B!

Default Do you shave your pup?

Yep, I guess the title is self-explanitory. I see a lot of people with clipped dogs that are not traditionally clipped, especially in California. My friend has a yellow Lab with a very slight clip, his fur is still moderately long. I have also seen a yellow Lab shaved to the skin!!!

Personally, Gonzo has been clipped for the summer several times, and he really seems much happier and cooler. I want to at least get his belly shaved, because he will be attending lots of Flyball, Agility AND Frisbee events, and after each run he has been taught to lay down in a baby pool/tub. When his belly is shaved, the water cools him down much quicker. I'm still considering getting a full-body clip for him... see his Dogster, if you want to know what he looks like with a buzz cut (and a mohawk). =P A lot of people give me wierd looks and ask why I would shave a BC, other people say he looks very happy. In all honesty, he is outdoors about 5 times a day - potty trips, a long walk in the early morning and in the evening, and 1-2 hours of exercising in the evening. The rest of the time, he is crashed on the couch! Does anyone feel shaving him is ridiculous? He does love his groomers, and his coat comes back in healthy every time.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 05-15-2006, 02:50 PM
whatszmatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo
Does anyone feel shaving him is ridiculous? .
Yes

Fur is insulation just like in the walls of your home, it keeps heat in, and cold out in the winter, and in the summer they expel the heat they don't need thru their belly, tongue, and paws, and the fur keeps heat out. Shaving it off takes away their natural temp. regulation. I'll trust mother nature and the dog to know how to keep themselves at a good operating temperature before I trust some guy with a clippers.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:49 PM
tessa_s212

Leave the hair on his body, shave his tummy.

A few of our Cockers get shaved down all the way during the summer. In a breed like the Cocker, the hair does nothing to keep them cool. Shaving them is the only way to help them keep cool. Though, I certainly don't recommend shaving adog with thinner hair, or shaving a dog so short that it could get sunburnt.

And then the cycle starts all over again.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:09 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

jw but how many cocker spaniels do you have?

Old 05-15-2006, 04:20 PM
tessa_s212

Seven

www.freewebs.com/tessa_s212
Old 05-15-2006, 04:49 PM
whatszmatter

[QUOTE=tessa_s212]Leave the hair on his body, shave his tummy.

A few of our Cockers get shaved down all the way during the summer. In a breed like the Cocker, the hair does nothing to keep them cool. Shaving them is the only way to help them keep cool. Though, I certainly don't recommend shaving adog with thinner hair, or shaving a dog so short that it could get sunburnt.

QUOTE]
Do cockers have different fur than the rest of the dogs? As far as I know having dogs with long hair that is matted is the only thing that will affect its ability to keep cool, otherwise dogs with longer fur are the same as the rest.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:44 PM
Love my Labs

Tell your friends to stop shaving their Labs. Their fur is meant to protect them from both heat and cold

Oh, and HI ERICA. Didn't know you were here.

Nova - Simply Outta This World, RN, CGC
Buck - Nova's Buck Naked, CGC (2 RN legs, 1 NJ leg)
Mandy
Luka (1 NJ leg)

Our photo gallery
Leon County Humane Society
Old 05-15-2006, 07:56 PM
tessa_s212

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatszmatter
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessa_s212
Leave the hair on his body, shave his tummy.

A few of our Cockers get shaved down all the way during the summer. In a breed like the Cocker, the hair does nothing to keep them cool. Shaving them is the only way to help them keep cool. Though, I certainly don't recommend shaving a dog with thinner hair, or shaving a dog so short that it could get sunburnt.
Do cockers have different fur than the rest of the dogs? As far as I know having dogs with long hair that is matted is the only thing that will affect its ability to keep cool, otherwise dogs with longer fur are the same as the rest.
I guess you just have to be a cocker owner to understand. I can tell you for a fact that all of our shaved dogs are always MUCH cooler over the summer than our dogs that are left in full coat.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:47 PM
and Fozzie B!

Yeah, I think I will just stick with his tummy, even if it looks kind of dumb! I really want his hindquarters trimmed, too. OMG they get so poofy.

Sarah, I didn't know you were here, either! I got a link to this from LJ. Good to see you! And, I know, it is pretty pointless to shave a Lab. Their coat is so short anyway... especially when they shave to the skin! >_<

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 05-15-2006, 11:05 PM
Top Dog

i like the mohawk! lol i just shaved my dog today like that. i usually do the mohawk and lion cut... the chest has fur and the back of his neck and everything. everyone likes the lion cut! lol they always ask me if i can cut there dogs fur!