Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-15-2013, 03:43 PM
Active Pup

Default new apartment/ barking

Hello, i haven't been on here lately but i have a problem, and the problem is barking. Me and my boyfriend just moved into a apartment and my dog barks at everything. I try to make the move as painless as possible. I didn't let him see us moving and he was the last thing we moved. I thought this would help because when he got the the new apartment he would have stuff and smells.He is a lab/chow/pit and 10 years old. He got him to stop barking at the people up stairs, but anytime someone comes into the main door or open and closes there door he lets out this horrible howl bark and he sounds so vicious, and he's not. I bought a spray collar which was 129 dollars and i put it on him and he barked it stray he looked at it and starting bark. then after that he just ignored it. So, i took it back because it also made me sick. I mean we only been here a little over a week, but I've been saying quite and and standing in front of him and snapping my fingers. It seem to be working but not very well.

So any advice would be helpful please
Old 11-16-2013, 07:14 AM
Love my pets

I've never dealt with this before. I don't know what things others may have to offer you. I personally would try to teach the dog "quiet" when he hears the noises and give a reward.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:33 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Sounds to me like the reason he is barking is because he thinks someone is intruding. Aka, he hears the sounds of doors and people...and when he was in a house, that meant someone was coming into his house.

If he is food motivated at all, I would start to try associating those noises with super awesome special treats.

Honestly, it will probably just take him some time. He's moved to a new place with new noises and scents, and he doesn't know what is "normal" yet and what is something that he should be alerting to. For an older guy whose set in his ways, that may take awhile for him to come to grips with.

If the barking could at all be related to an anxiety issue, you could try some supplements and/or medication to help him feel more comfortable.