Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-14-2014, 08:01 PM
Top Dog

Default Animal rescue refuses to give back lost show dog to rightful owner

Saw this on facebook tonight. If this isn't royally messed up...

http://www.nbc4i.com/story/26284026/...unaway-sheltie

COLUMBUS, Ohio - A battle over a champion show dog is now exploding on the Internet and it's centered on Columbus.

Piper is a 5-year-old show dog, a champion Sheltie worth tens of thousands of dollars.

"She's a companion. She's a lap dog, and my bed buddy above everything else," said her owner, Veronica Covatch.

To Covatch, she is also a member of her family.

"I love her to death. I wouldn't be fighting to get her back if I didn't," she said.

Covatch is fighting because, for four months, the Central Ohio Sheltie Rescue has refused to return Piper to her owner.

The fight is now a full-fledged legal battle.

"A show dog is a perishable commodity," said Lloyd Cohen, Covatch's attorney.

Piper and her owner live in Punxatawney, Pa., but the dog was brought to Columbus four months ago, to be placed in the care of a friend over Easter weekend.

But Piper escaped on Good Friday, and was picked up by Franklin County Animal Control. The organization quickly discovered that she had a microchip, which proved that she belonged to someone.

"They were one phone call away, as was the shelter from having the owners information and they did not follow through," Covatch said.

Instead of tracking down Piper's owner, the county turned over the dog to the Central Ohio Sheltie Rescue, which operates out of the east side of Columbus.

Covatch tracked Piper to the facility.

"I called the Central Ohio Sheltie Rescue, and I got a voicemail, so I left a message, 'I think you have my dog,'" Covatch said.

But there was no response, despite repeated attempts.

"I posted a picture of my dog on their website, and begged them to call me. I just wanted my dog back, and I got no response, begged them to call me," she said.

Penny Sanderbeck, who runs the rescue, claims that Covatch is no longer the rightful owner of Piper.

The National Sheltie Rescue Network disagreed with Sanderbecks' refusal to return Piper, and tried to intervene. But, officials said they couldn't get Sanderbeck to cooperate.

A coordinator for the group in Utah confirmed that Sanderbeck and the Central Ohio rescue have been removed from the network, saying, "We don't support this kind of behavior. We can't continue to have her part of our network."

Sanderbeck refused to speak to NBC4, but her attorney John Bell said, "Central Ohio Sheltie Rescue is the owner of the dog now, but that question of ownership does not mean that the dog would not go back to someone who had him before, or had her before. It's just a legal question. Once the dog comes out of the shelter to the rescue, it's the rescue's dog and that's the end of it."

But the fact is that the fight over Piper is far from over -- with a costly court case and questions of animal and owner rights now hanging in the balance.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 08-14-2014, 08:08 PM
Top Dog

Well, the rescue's done a great job turning people against getting a dog from a rescue or shelter. Poor Piper, I hope she and her owner are reunited soon. I can't imagine how I would feel if I were in that situation.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:10 PM
Top Dog

This is completely ridiculous. As far as I know, the owner has done nothing wrong, and the rescue is using up resources for a dog who already had a loving home. I understand that the dog is legally theirs, but morally there is absolutely no reason they should be keeping this dog. That poor owner, I hope she can get her dog back soon.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:15 PM
Top Dog

Brief update on the current situation, that's not stated in this article -- The court ordered the rescue to turn the dog over, or post a ten thousand dollar bond against the safety of the dog...the rescue (which is one woman) chose to post TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS rather than turn the dog over to the court and/or return the dog to the owner.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 08-14-2014, 08:17 PM
Twin 2

I just, I don't get this? Am I missing something? I mean, why would this rescue DO this? It just seems....pointless. And stupid. And spiteful.

The dog has a owner and a home, this is what microchips are for. Why wouldn't they immediately give the dog back to the owner and end everything on a happy note. This is the happy reunited with the owner story everyone always hopes for.

I seriously, I don't understand. AT ALL.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:30 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

FWIW, the rescue's "side" of the story:

http://www.centralohiosheltierescue.org/1.html

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-14-2014, 08:43 PM
Top Dog

I read their site already, and still think what they are doing is absolutely assinine. It's clear the dog is hers. Other then her pride, I see NO reason to not give the dog back.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:15 PM
Wu-Tang Steph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
Brief update on the current situation, that's not stated in this article -- The court ordered the rescue to turn the dog over, or post a ten thousand dollar bond against the safety of the dog...the rescue (which is one woman) chose to post TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS rather than turn the dog over to the court and/or return the dog to the owner.
Not in any defense of the rescue because I think she's a butthole, but she only paid $200 to post the bond. http://www.bestinshowdaily.com/blog/...piper/#respond

$200 too much on a dog that already has an owner.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:35 PM
Sit! Good dog.

That is SO messed up!!!! I'd be going MAD. Her statement basically says she's not moving the dog till she finds out who burgled her... It could be totally unrelated!!!!!!

What an evil person.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 08-17-2014, 08:36 AM
Big Dog

How sad, can't even begin to imagine the torment the owner is in....