Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by -bogart- View Post
a companion and bum around dog , no sports or anything. she has a dorkie mix she totes around now and wants a friend for him.
Maybe a rescue or breeder rehome? That way she will have a better idea if the dog will suit her lifestyle?
Old 11-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

thats what i am trying to steer her towards a known adult . maybe an older pup or retired breeder . or even a rehome. there house has the dorkie and 3 cats , no little kids or anything like that. so skittish temperments , while not ideal is something that can be worked with.

i just dont want her to plunk down big bucks on something she regrets.

thanks for the help . i think it will just come down to fate with her. last time she wanted a pup the dorkie was plopped into her lap , maybe this time will be the same.lol
Old 11-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Kung Pow Fish

i have met an equal number of FANTASTIC mini aussies, and NEUROTIC mini aussies. seems to be really hit or miss, but maybe depended on the breeder. when theyre good, theyre AMAZING. so happy, so confident, bouncy, drivey, willing to do anything, super sweet, like a papillon with more pizazz!
Old 11-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Taxiderpy

There was a fantastic mini aussie in Strider's ob class named Darby. He was more stable than the standard aussies I have met. He was totally a happy hyper dork. EXTREMELY active. He had an elderly owner who was hoping for a lap dog and ended up with an impulsive little spaz. lol. She did end up getting his TDI certification after a few tries (he had a hard time with the 5 minute down stay)

He loved every dog, loved every person. She loved him to death but said that if she had known he was going to be so hyper she wouldn't have gotten him. He was out of a smaller aussie bitch that was just within the standard, and a mini dad.

I agree with everyone else that says adult rescue, or find a specific breeder you like.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -bogart- View Post
i am actually trying to talk her out of one at all , and that will help. she is all about the looks and not the dog underneath.

hmm , i did not even think of rescues , i will check into them also .
If you're trying to convince her out of it, go to www.dooce.com and make your mom read every single post about Coco, her neurotic spazz of a Mini Aussie. Just sit her down at the computer, open them all up in tabs, and be like: "HERE. HERE IS THE HELL YOU SHALL ENDURE."

To be fair, it sounds like Coco was marketed to her as a gentle, quiet, low-energy, non-drivey dog; and is probably from a BYB. I don't think Dooce is the most dog-savvy owner out there, and she had very different expectations.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:44 PM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
i have met an equal number of FANTASTIC mini aussies, and NEUROTIC mini aussies. seems to be really hit or miss, but maybe depended on the breeder. when theyre good, theyre AMAZING. so happy, so confident, bouncy, drivey, willing to do anything, super sweet, like a papillon with more pizazz!
I agree with this. One of my favorite dogs EVER was a gorgeous, dreamboat of a Mini Aussie with a mane like a lion named Jesse... he was from a great breeder that shows & titles all of her dogs and they actually look like smaller Aussies. I practically raised him, as he came to daycare where I worked daily, and he was just spectacular in every way!

Working at the same daycare, I met more fearful, spastic Mini Aussies who were the size of large Chihuahuas... with domed heads and bug eyes. DEFINITELY mixes! I used to foster for an Aussie/BC rescue and they would routinely get in dozens of Mini Aussies from puppy mill busts. Those dogs were all very small, painfully shy and very obviously mixed. Breeders with tiny dogs, like 12" or less, are a huge red flag!

I used to want a Mini Aussie but the breed is too controversial for my taste. Unless I could get a puppy from Jesse's breeder. I'd opt for a smaller Aussie. Many working breeders have smaller dogs, show Aussies tend to be bigger. I've met quite a few working Aussies who were 18" or less.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 11-03-2013, 11:00 PM
Top Dog

A vet I work with has a Miniature American Shepherd puppy. Keeping in mind that she's a puppy still (5 months or so) she's a pleasant little thing. They're a family who has an Aussie, though, and has had Aussies in the past. And they have 'hang around with the kids and horses' dogs.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:39 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
I agree with this. One of my favorite dogs EVER was a gorgeous, dreamboat of a Mini Aussie with a mane like a lion named Jesse... he was from a great breeder that shows & titles all of her dogs and they actually look like smaller Aussies. I practically raised him, as he came to daycare where I worked daily, and he was just spectacular in every way!

Working at the same daycare, I met more fearful, spastic Mini Aussies who were the size of large Chihuahuas... with domed heads and bug eyes. DEFINITELY mixes! I used to foster for an Aussie/BC rescue and they would routinely get in dozens of Mini Aussies from puppy mill busts. Those dogs were all very small, painfully shy and very obviously mixed. Breeders with tiny dogs, like 12" or less, are a huge red flag!

I used to want a Mini Aussie but the breed is too controversial for my taste. Unless I could get a puppy from Jesse's breeder. I'd opt for a smaller Aussie. Many working breeders have smaller dogs, show Aussies tend to be bigger. I've met quite a few working Aussies who were 18" or less.
The smaller mix breed ones are technically "toy" aussies, and yes they are a train wreck. A mini aussie, or North American Shepherd, should descend only from aussie stock that has been bred down in size.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:21 AM
Top Dog

I skimmed the blog about Coco and all I found was that she loves her flying squirrel, chewed up a broom, likes to watch out the window for stuff to happen, sheds and eats poop. She appears to be good with kids and other dogs and her family. I guess I'm missing where she's a neurotic spazz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
The smaller mix breed ones are technically "toy" aussies, and yes they are a train wreck. A mini aussie, or North American Shepherd, should descend only from aussie stock that has been bred down in size.
Actually that's not entirely true. Mini Aussie have been around since the 70s and the original ones were generally smaller than today's MinI Aussies - more in the toy Aussie range. Mini Aussies have a different foundation than Aussies but were crossed with Aussies to make more Aussie looking/acting dogs. The toy Aussies you see today resemble some of these early Mini Aussies bred by Travis.

These dogs are behind all Mini Aussies:

Old 11-04-2013, 08:39 AM
Kung Pow Fish

so theyre shetlie, chi, aussie... mix?

shetlie is now a thing