Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-05-2013, 07:18 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Default Need medical help advice

My Mom has a dog named Shaffer who weighs about 80 lbs. I stopped by to give him his heart worm tab because I always give it to mine on the 5th. When I went to her calander to put on the sticker, She still had up last month. I registered shock because she had written down on the 26th of October heart pill. She says she didn't give him anything. But if anyone wrote it down, it had to be her. SHe is 88 and gets confused which is why I wanted to be the one to dispense the pill. So that was 10 days ago. He takes Heart guard chewable tablet. I looked on line about over dose and this was all I saw.
Quote from one site

What are the possible side effects of Heartgard Plus: Side effects of Heartgard Plus are rare at the recommended heartworm prevention dose. Higher doses in dogs may cause tremors, dilated pupils, and loss of body weight and death.

I don't even know if she gave it, if she wrote it on the wrong date, I don't know what to do. Is that enough time for a dog his size to not have adverse reactions? I am worried.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 11-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Top Dog

Are they in a blister pack? How many in the package, how many are gone, and how long since you started giving them?

Old 11-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Top Dog

Most dogs can safely handle an appropriately sized heartgard each day. Most dogs can actually tolerate more than that.

The medication doesn't actually last for a month. You give it once a month to kill any heartworm infection that has happened in the past month. It's out of the dog's system the next day, if not sooner.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Most dogs can safely handle an appropriately sized heartgard each day. Most dogs can actually tolerate more than that.

The medication doesn't actually last for a month. You give it once a month to kill any heartworm infection that has happened in the past month. It's out of the dog's system the next day, if not sooner.
This.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:54 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I can breathe ..I cannot thank you enough for your fast reply. I was so scared and I didnt' even know if he had it or not, or what to do. So takes deep breath. Your the best of the best of the best of the best.

My nerves are so shot it isn't funny. I am overwhelmed with enough worry right now. Shaffer is such a good boy, and he takes such good care of Mom. I called her as soon as I read your reply.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,

Last edited by smkie; 11-05-2013 at 08:04 PM.