Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Jelly baby?

Quote:
(It's a Chaz dog so I doubt the person would be too offended at anything but for future non-Chaz people....)
Chaz: Just ask. We'll yell at you if you're doing it wrong

Elsewhere: Really, still, just ask (nicely). If they don't want to answer, they won't. But most people are thrilled to talk about their dog/breed/breeder/lines.

Vortex Canine - Custom Harnesses and Leashes

"Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up. Never give in."
~The Doctor
Old 11-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

I'm always thrilled to talk ACD's. Especially if you know they are dog savvy, none of those questions are out of line. I think most people are respectful of questions asked by people doing research.

I'm curious.. do we get to know who the Chazzer is?

Old 11-02-2013, 10:27 PM
Top Dog

Omg. I guess I shouldn't have mentioned it was a Chaz dog

Honestly, I'm envious of most Chaz dogs and if I had the time/space/money to steal some of your dogs, I totally would!

Since my next dog is likely to be a small breed, I've been focusing on smaller dogs. (It's really, really hard.)

I'm referring to Cheetah's Shippo right now. I've just recently seen pictures of him and I didn't realize Corgis came in long coats. I didn't know if this was normal or just a Shippo thing. I have loved Corgis from afar for a while. My friend's Corgi had one of the biggest personalities I've ever seen. But I've seen here that every breed has their faults and I want to research a breed before diving into it.

(Jackson is another small dog favorite of mine. The stories about him and his whole... attitude are impressive. But from what I've seen that is more of a Jackson thing

And I can't forget the Shelties! Beanie makes them seem like cartoon characters )

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/

Passion Parties Consultant
https://erinnmitsch.yourpassionconsultant.com/index.asp
Old 11-02-2013, 10:37 PM
orange iguanas.

I don't think it's rude. Or maybe I'm rude too. I'm always attracted to non-conformation BC's so I have asked multiple people at the dog park, and clients at work, where their BC is from if I like their looks/personality. And I usually tell them that - "hey, I think your dog is awesome and fits what I'm looking for. Can I ask where he's from?"

I don't ever ask about cost just because I don't care, but I wouldn't be bothered if someone asked me if they were genuinely interested.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006
Old 11-02-2013, 10:39 PM
Jelly baby?

Quote:
I'm referring to Cheetah's Shippo right now. I've just recently seen pictures of him and I didn't realize Corgis came in long coats.
I've found that LOTS of breeds come in more than one coat type. I didn't know smooth collies were a thing until I found Logan's breeder.

Look up long hair dobes, wirehair vizlas, long hair weims, wirehair pointers, smooth BCs, smooth St. Bernards, etc. They may not be the standard or common or whatever, but they do exist.

From the little I've read, fluffy pemmies are not really showable, but that doesn't make them any less awesome dogs

Vortex Canine - Custom Harnesses and Leashes

"Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up. Never give in."
~The Doctor

Last edited by Saeleofu; 11-02-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Top Dog

I have no problems talking about my breed, lines, breeder, etc. I do find the "how much did you pay for her?" question a little weird, to be honest. Me blurting out a price isn't going to be helpful to someone, and it trips me up . I mean, there is a base cost, shipping, limited/full registration for some breeders, etc. Some puppies are more or less depending on markings, show quality, gender. I have no problem discussing that if someone wants to have a serious discussion but if it's just a walking by "she's so cute"...eh.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Duuuuude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Look up long hair dobes, wirehair vizlas, long hair weims, wirehair pointers, smooth BCs, smooth St. Bernards, etc. They may not be the standard or common or whatever, but they do exist.

To answer the question, I don't have a dog from a breeder, but I do have a purebred and I wouldn't be offended by any of those questions. The "is (dog) normal for it's breed?" made me laugh, because I've gotten roundabout comments like that. I've had a few people guess springer spaniel, then when I say Brittany they say "that's what I thought, but he's so tall!" He's an oddball, I know it, and it doesn't bother me at all to talk about as long as you aren't like... dissing on my dog I wouldn't mind discussing price - the adoption fee I paid for him, or what I've seen Brittany breeders asking for if the conversation went that direction - but I agree that it's got to be in the right context. Even though he IS a rescue some people would balk at the fee when the city pound charges $100 or whatever. Of course I love to talk about my dogs alllllll the time.

I've asked people about where they got their dogs before and they honestly didn't remember the name of the breeder, which is always disappointing if I really like the dog, but I've never had anyone be offended about it!

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 11-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Taxiderpy

For bringing up price, I get the best response if I correspond a little first to learn about someone's lines and breeding philosophy, then bring it up in a way that's basically:

"I really love your dogs/goals and am interested in possibly adding a puppy at some point. How much do you usually charge? I'd like to start budgeting for it now if possible."

People whose dogs I'm interested in tend to have really long waiting lists anyway, and they don't typically want to waste a lot of their time corresponding with puppy window shoppers that are looking for a price tag but not interested in anything else to do with their dogs.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:33 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I don't mind talking with people about Siri if they are nice about it. But I've had more than a couple people tell me she is too small to be a purebred JRT. And it just annoys me SOOOO freaking much and my response at this point is pretty much "good to know" and then I walk away. This summer has been so nice because I've been at the park playing ball instead of at pet stores where people feel the need to make comments about her.

Also I don't tell people how much I paid for her, because then I just get funny looks

Other than that, I love talking to people about my experiences with her!

Siri picture taken by Linds.

Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:58 PM
Top Dog

The only things I can think of off the top of my head that annoy me when people try to start a conversation with me about my dogs is:

"He/she is really small for her breed"

"Wow, he's huge! I knew somebody who knew somebody who (basically an *I know everything there is to know already so don't talk while I tell you about your own dog* kind of person)"

"What did you pay for her?"

"She must have cost, what, $1000?"

I don't like when people make blanket statements about my dogs, whom they know nothing about it. And if the first thing that comes out of your mouth is to ask me what I paid for my dog, then you don't need to know. That is weird.

But people who politely start a conversation with me and are genuinely curious about anything regarding my dogs' personalities, temperaments or breeds I have no problem with. Nor do I have a problem with telling people what the average cost is for a dog of my chosen breeds, because it's a question I also had and wanted to get an idea of before contacting breeders. If it's approached nicely with genuine curiosity, then I see no reason not to tell them.

And as was mentioned, as far as being "normal for the breed", everyone is going to have a different idea of what their normal is. But most people are more than willing to tell you about their dog and their experiences with other dogs their breeder has produced, and then you can take that information and compare with others of the same breed.

Last year, a really nice Aussie came into the store I'd worked at, and I remember complimenting his owner on his dog and then asking if (in his experience) his dog was fairly typical of the breed and where he got him, and his owner was more than happy to answer my questions and volunteer more information. I find most people are like that. Including myself when asked about my dogs. :-)

And if you're talking to a breeder, I found that you can also bring up cost, but generally it is advisable not to do so in the first conversation and it is wise to say it in a way such as "just so I have an idea and am prepared, what is the average cost of a puppy of this breed?". No breeder has ever frowned upon that question when I've asked it similarly to that, and they usually volunteer their own price as well.

Ripley
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FDCh-G
Keira CGN