Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-02-2013, 09:43 PM
Top Dog

Default Is It Rude?

Compared to most of Chaz I'm a total noob, but I'm trying to learn. I would like to ask some owners questions but I don't want to come off as rude or inappropriate.

I know it's rude to ask how much a dog cost (usually), but is it rude to ask how much a certain breed or even breeder usually runs?

Is it rude to ask someone who their breeder is? Or what lines they're from?

Is there a way to know if a dog is 'normal' for its breed/lines?

Basically, if someone were asking you about your breed or your dog personally, what questions would you want them to ask/be comfortable answering? And what questions would just turn you off from talking to this person or having them own your breed?

(I've recently seen a dog that I think is absolutely stunning. I would like to see if he is normal for his breed. He seems to be a pretty stellar dog. I'm not sure if it's just him or if it has more to do with is breed/lines/owner/whatever. I just don't want to be creepy. )

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/
Old 11-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Top Dog

I was never offended by people asking me about my Shibas, even price, but I also knew what the breeders sold pet puppies for, the only time I got offended is when people asked me if I was crazy I could have gotten a dog from the poud for 100 bucks.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:51 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Well, when I was still on the search for Future Puppy, if we had a client come in with a puppy or adult Lab that I liked the look of, I would stalk them and ask them where they got their dog from. A few looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Uh....a breeder? A few hours away? I don't really remember." Others were like, "Oh, you want a puppy, too! ^^ He came from such-and-such and they are just awesome..." I actually met a nice breeder contact through my stalking of clients and their dogs. LOL The owner was actually the son of the breeder, and had I not decided on a Chessie she probably would have been who I got a Lab from. I've since met a few more of their dogs and they are such well tempered, well put together dogs.

Quote:
the only time I got offended is when people asked me if I was crazy I could have gotten a dog from the poud for 100 bucks.
^ Yes, that. I would have no problems with someone asking me how much Abrams cost if they needed to know what kind of ballpark figure they would be looking at in purchasing a pup. I DO have a problem with people then saying, "You spent HOW MUCH? Are you crazy? It's just a dog!" after I tell them.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Twin 2

Honestly none of those questions (including how much your dog costs) is rude to me. Especially if you strike up a conversation first and lead into the questions. The only time I find it off putting is when asked in an negative tone, with no lead up or like an interrogation.

Like if you went over to someone and just said "How much did your dog cost? Where did you get her? Is she normal?"

Just, be human about it and most people I think will be fine with any of those questions, especially once they see you're interested in the breed or their breeder.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Just try me..

I wouldn't find it rude if you came up to me and asked how much JRTs tended to go for. Really I would be THRILLED to talk JRTs

Asking about a person's breeder isn't rude. Sometimes people have had a falling out with their breeder, but it still isnt' rude to ask.

Not sure what you mean by normal for the lines.. like is it less drivey etc than the norm for that line? That might be trickier to ask.. Maybe along the lines of.. compliment the dog and then ask if the dog is typical of his/her lines. Though with that you could get a non answer. For example in some ways Dekka is very much like her lines. High prey drive, high toy drive, high food drive, small in size, and tough. However she has one of the best off switches I have seen in a JRT and is more dog aggressive than those of her linage are prone too. So in some ways very typical, in others no.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:01 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I am happy to discuss breeder, lines, and costs.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
I wouldn't find it rude if you came up to me and asked how much JRTs tended to go for. Really I would be THRILLED to talk JRTs

Asking about a person's breeder isn't rude. Sometimes people have had a falling out with their breeder, but it still isnt' rude to ask.

Not sure what you mean by normal for the lines.. like is it less drivey etc than the norm for that line? That might be trickier to ask.. Maybe along the lines of.. compliment the dog and then ask if the dog is typical of his/her lines. Though with that you could get a non answer. For example in some ways Dekka is very much like her lines. High prey drive, high toy drive, high food drive, small in size, and tough. However she has one of the best off switches I have seen in a JRT and is more dog aggressive than those of her linage are prone too. So in some ways very typical, in others no.
Well I mean visually this dog looks quite a bit different. I don't know all that much about the breed. I know it's one of the only small breeds I like. I know they have can have some behavioral and health issues. But I haven't seen another with this coat before. Like the first time I saw a long coated GSD. I didn't know those existed. I saw Kastle and was thrilled

(It's a Chaz dog so I doubt the person would be too offended at anything but for future non-Chaz people....)

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/
Old 11-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

If people are genuinely interested in my breed I have no issues with answering their questions. I get stopped by a lot of people when I take Pan into the public, just because he is so unique looking.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 11-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

I am always thrilled to answer questions about my dogs as long as they are asked in the right spirit.

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 11-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post
Compared to most of Chaz I'm a total noob, but I'm trying to learn. I would like to ask some owners questions but I don't want to come off as rude or inappropriate.

I know it's rude to ask how much a dog cost (usually), but is it rude to ask how much a certain breed or even breeder usually runs?
Asking how much a certain breed usually costs isn't a problem for me at all. As long as it's not asked maliciously, the second question is fine too IMO.

Is it rude to ask someone who their breeder is? Or what lines they're from?
I don't think so, no. I think it's fine. It can be a bit awkward though if you ask about a dog on an internet forum right after said dog has been mentioned in a negative light. For example, person A says "I know of a dog who had serious aggression towards humans and epilepsy." and then person B asks who the dog is, even if they have no vested interest in the breed. (IMO, questions like that are best received in private, and asked in a gentle manner.)

Is there a way to know if a dog is 'normal' for its breed/lines?
I think this takes a lot more research and experience into a breed. I also think it can be tricky because what one person may think is normal actually isn't. In short, choose your sources wisely.

Basically, if someone were asking you about your breed or your dog personally, what questions would you want them to ask/be comfortable answering? And what questions would just turn you off from talking to this person or having them own your breed?
Honestly, I'd be okay with all the aforementioned questions if I was approached by someone who wasn't out to find out gossip about a dog or breeder, and was genuinely interested. But if someone came to me with those questions in a shady or disrespectful manner, I think I'd be careful how I answered.
My answers in bold.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)