Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-02-2013, 12:07 AM
Mutts to you

Default Just wondering...

If you have a crate available for your dog to sleep in (free choice), do they sleep in the crate, or on top of it?

Mick prefers to sleep on top of his wire crate, rather than inside. Maybe I should have named him Snoopy...

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 11-02-2013, 09:48 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Abrams sleeps in his crate. I actually tried to have him sleep in the bedroom with me loose the other night, and he just alerted to every little thing so I finally got tired of having him jar me awake and put him in his crate in the livingroom, where he slept like a baby.

Cynder now also sleeps in a crate after she's been pooping on the floor in the middle of the night...she hates it, but oh well, she'll get over it.

Blackie, my childhood Labrador, LOVED to sleep outside on "his" picnic table, and Kiba, a Pittie I fostered, like to sleep on top of his dog house outside.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Resident fainting goat

Merlin sleeps in his crate lol I use it as a shelf so sadly there is no getting on top of it with the books up there

I've tried him sleeping out but he settles SO MUCH BETTER, in a crate. When out and about he moves around too much lol

He goes willingly in there.. he never gets bully sticks anywhere else

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Top Dog

Lucy never goes willingly into a crate. She will sleep on the sofa, in the middle of the floor, on a rug, on a loose bed....but never in a crate.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 11-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Top Dog

Watson never sleeps in his crate unless I make him. He'll go in when I tell him but he's never really liked it in there.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 11-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Payton probably COULD get up on top of the crates but it would be a feat - Pepper's crate is on top of his. There's a bunch of crap on top of Auggie's too. Pepper will sometime jump on top of Georgie's crate and is then surprised she didn't just jump into her own crate...
Pepper sleeps better in a crate and if it's close to her bedtime and we're not in the bedroom, she'll go into Auggie's crate to lay down there.

Payton's crate is open at night and in the bedroom, but he doesn't sleep in it. Ever. He sleeps on the bed, in the dog bed, or just sprawled on the floor. I have never seen him choose to go into the crate and lay down there.

Auggie sleeps on my bed 99% of the time, the other 1% on the dog bed on the floor.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 11-02-2013, 10:58 AM
Vizsla mom

Penn sleeps on our bed ..or on her bed ..or on the couch. She uses her crate to escape if we have people (usually the nephews) over& she's getting tired/ overwhelmed. Everyone knows the rule -she's in there, don't touch her. She would never sleep on top of her crate though as I don't think it's comfy enough for her!
Old 11-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
If you have a crate available for your dog to sleep in (free choice), do they sleep in the crate, or on top of it?

Mick prefers to sleep on top of his wire crate, rather than inside. Maybe I should have named him Snoopy...
hahaha I think I would like to see a photo if possible
Old 11-02-2013, 12:00 PM
such sights to show you

In it. When he was wee, Squash ventured on top of a crate a couple of times but even at that age it didn't really support him lol.

ETA: Mostly he goes in there to "remind" me that it's mealtime rather than to rest, though.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Mutts to you

I guess I should add that Murph and Riley will occasionally sleep in a crate but they prefer the dog beds. Mick doesn't sleep on top of the crate all the time, but he's on top of it enough that I added a blanket for some padding.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey