Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Default Should I let him take Bamm?

Ugh.... I can't make up my mind. I'm such an over protective dog owner... I really am.

I've been working a LOT with Bamm and so has Josh. He's been acting much better and hasn't shown any issues in a few months now... not a single issue. We've even been able to hike with other people and other dogs without him being reactive lately too.

That said, Josh is going camping this weekend in West Virginia with a couple of his friends. He has been begging me to let him take Bamm because he really thinks Bamm could use something fun to do since he has been cooped up in the house quite a bit recently. They are going to be fishing and there will be water for Bamm to play and swim in as well. It's him and two of his guy friends. One of his friends Bamm knows pretty well and actually likes a lot. The other friend Bamm hasn't met yet though I would want him to meet this guy prior to him going if I let Josh take him... just because I want to make sure that everything is going to be ok.

They wont be sleeping in tents because they do 'rough it' type camping so more than likely Bamm would sleep in the truck at night just to be on the safe side.

I told him I was unsure... I've had friends watch Bamm if I go out of town or something in the past, but I've never let someone just take him out and about to something like this. Josh is my husband and technically Bamm is his dog too, but I have the ultimate say in whether or not he takes him since he was only my dog prior to us even getting together. I trust Josh though and he knows how I am with my dogs so I know he would protect Bamm and take really good care of him. It's also just for a weekend. They are planning on leaving early tomorrow to head out to the camp site and then coming home on Sunday evening.

A huge part of me says I should let Bamm go with him. Bamm would enjoy it a lot and he doesn't get to have this kind of fun often... that dog LOVES camping. There's still that small part of me that is being so **** over protective...

What do you think? Should I let him go?
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 11-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Yes, I think for the sake of your relationship you should. Just prepare him as best you can and give it a shot. I know denying Denis access to our dogs would be detrimental to our relationship and rightfully so, I'm not a motorcycle rider and I don't know much about them but if I truly wanted to borrow Denis' bike I know he would teach me what I need to know to be safe and let me try.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Bored Now.

Honestly, no. I think if everything goes well it would be amazing for all of them and they'd all enjoy it, but I think sending a dog with a minor bite history out with a bunch of dudes for a weekend is asking for trouble.

It's been a lot of hard work for you to get Bamm and Josh to this point. If be afraid to ruin it.

/funpolice
Old 11-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Do what you think is right. Honestly, I live with my other half, they're our dogs (well bodhi is mine), yet I still dictate about where they should go and how they should be kept, because.... I'm the dog person.

If you are both THE dog people then I'd say let him go, if you're not, then it's your responsibility to make sure everyone is safe and happy.

I'm over protective because my other half isn't as dog savy as I think I am. He loves them dearly, would never EVER hurt them, but he's just not as clued up as I am.

And he doesn't take offence, it's just fact.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 11-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Behavior Nerd

How are Josh's handling skills and dog reading abilities? Do you think he understands the seriousness of Bamm's history?

I'd be VERY hesitant - from what you've said, Bamm needs a lot of management to be safe and not many people can do that naturally. *If* Josh understands the importance of managing Bamm, especially around new people, and feels that he can do it safely throughout the trip, then give it a try, but if there's any doubt, I'd forgo it. Maybe he can go the next time if you both go camping as a trial run?

Old 11-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
How are Josh's handling skills and dog reading abilities? Do you think he understands the seriousness of Bamm's history?

I'd be VERY hesitant - from what you've said, Bamm needs a lot of management to be safe and not many people can do that naturally. *If* Josh understands the importance of managing Bamm, especially around new people, and feels that he can do it safely throughout the trip, then give it a try, but if there's any doubt, I'd forgo it. Maybe he can go the next time if you both go camping as a trial run?
I think the bolded part is a great idea.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 11-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I agree with nolu... and I think it's important to tell Josh you're worried about Bamm specifically, not Josh's ability to handle him - just that Bamm is sometimes unpredictable even with people he DOES know, and it might not be fair to Bamm to put him in a situation with a guy he doesn't know (even if he does meet the guy before they go.)

Would he be okay with taking Cricket instead? I don't know all the details of Cricket but she seems like she would have fun too, so if she's suitable to go with, it would reinforce that you do trust him with the dogs if you suggested he take Cricket.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 11-01-2013, 12:06 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Only you know Josh and Bamm well enough to make that decision.

I think a lot of it depends, like someone else said, on whether or not Josh realizes the seriousness of the situation and his ability to keep Bamm and the rest of the people who will be there safe.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 11-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Top Dog

Yeah I would try to get Josh to take another dog instead. I agree with what Adrienne said about denying dog access... it could be interpreted the wrong way.

It won't be fun times if one guy gets bitten and it gets infected and they have to drive back into town to the clinic to get a tetanus shot and antibiotics... and probably these guys will be drinking and fooling around etc. Even if Josh is careful, doesn't mean everyone else will be. Bamm is weird already, adding in new place + new people + owner who is less in-tune with him seems pretty risky. It won't be a lot of fun for him if he gets snappy and has to spend time locked in the truck.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Top Dog

Maybe I'm underestimating Bamm's issues, but I would absolutely let your husband take Bamm for the weekend. It seems as though it could be a win-win-win situation for all. Your husband will appreciate it. Bamm will likely enjoy spending some time outdoors. And after the trip, more likely than not, you will have a newfound confidence in your husband to take Bamm on little outings like this.

It seems about as ideal of a situation as one could get for a "test drive" so to speak. Bamm presumably knows and likes your husband, and knows and likes one of the other people. There will only be one "new" person... provided that your husband isn't going to a KoA or something of the sort, but is actually going out in the woods, there's really little else in the way of human or dog interaction that Bamm will have to deal with. Bamm won't even be sleeping in a tent with anyone so you don't have to worry about how he'll do at night in an enclosed space.

If your husband wanted to take him on vacation to a bustling beach town or to a city - I'd be wary. But camping? Really, with the exception of the one "newbie" it seems that you'd have little to worry about.

If it were me, I'd tell your husband: "I know you know I'm a bit nervous just because I'm not sure how Bamm will react, but I trust your judgment in dealing with him. I'm going to pack his muzzle just in case there are any issues. Have fun!" And let that be that.

More likely than not - even if Bamm does have some issues - everybody is going to walk away fine and happy.

The only serious thing that would make be double think everything that I just said is if you expect your husband and friends to get filthy drunk and not necessarily be in the best state of mind to deal with the dog. Otherwise, I'd try it without a doubt!

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/