Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-30-2013, 10:53 AM
Shiba Inu Slave

Default Let's Talk Ibizan Hounds!

Hey everyone!

I am semi-new to the forum (I took a long sabbatical haha), but I am back and so excited to talk dogs.

One thing I really enjoyed about this place was the fact that 9 times out of 10, if you had a question about any breed of dog out there, there was bound to be SOMEONE who knew something beyond what you could read in a breed profile in the Howell Book of Dogs. It's awesome to hear from people with some first hand experience.

So with that being said, let's talk Ibizan Hounds!

I saw my first Ibizan at an agility trial when I was a teenager. I couldn't help but find it beautiful, but never got a chance to talk to the owner first hand. Ever since that first sighting, I've always wanted to know more.

So, let me have it! I really know very little about the breed, beyond just loving how they look. I have a small dream of adding some type of sighthound to my Shiba crew one day, and I'd be curious to know if an Ibizan could be a fit.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:33 AM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

There are a couple of folks with Ibizans here...

Skittledoo has a rough boy she rescued and momto8 has three of them currently. Lets hope they chime in and tell you all about them.

I generally see them when we go lure coursing. I love their long legs

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 10-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
There are a couple of folks with Ibizans here...

Skittledoo has a rough boy she rescued and momto8 has three of them currently. Lets hope they chime in and tell you all about them.

I generally see them when we go lure coursing. I love their long legs
I can't wait for them to start sharing!

I really would love to get into lure coursing. That's one of the reasons I keep coming back to the idea of adding one sighthound...just for something a little different. Granted, I could probably look into doing a CAT for Ringo, but I'm trying to focus on one title at a time right now.

And I am always going to have a soft spot for Basenjis They remind me so much of Shibas personality-wise! I look forward to seeing some lure coursing photos!

Old 10-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Lord Cynical

There are several near me. Here are a few photos...

Momto8's veteran bitch is in pink. In yellow is Thescelo.... somehow related to my future puppy.

kIMG_1521 by sizzzle_dog, on Flickr

kIMG_1519 by sizzzle_dog, on Flickr

kIMG_1959 by sizzzle_dog, on Flickr

kIMG_1945 by sizzzle_dog, on Flickr

kIMG_1941 by sizzzle_dog, on Flickr

I find them to have very unique temperaments for sighthounds. They're social and outgoing, and I haven't really come across any that are overly shy or aloof. They're FUN dogs to course, and quite versatile.

I know I'm going to have to make some changes when I get mine... namely hotwiring my fence and probably getting rid of some of the fun stumps in my yard. Ibizans are famous for their jumping abilities, and a 6ft fence is nothing to them unless they're trained to respect the fence.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 10-30-2013, 12:31 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempura tantrum View Post
I can't wait for them to start sharing!

I really would love to get into lure coursing. That's one of the reasons I keep coming back to the idea of adding one sighthound...just for something a little different. Granted, I could probably look into doing a CAT for Ringo, but I'm trying to focus on one title at a time right now.
Luckily there's not much you need to do for a CAT, so the CA titles are very easy to get while you're working on other titles. You just let go... and catch the dog at the end. Simple as that.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 10-30-2013, 01:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
Luckily there's not much you need to do for a CAT, so the CA titles are very easy to get while you're working on other titles. You just let go... and catch the dog at the end. Simple as that.
This! When I met Sizzle and Sael at a dog event I wasn't prepared to let Gwen do coursing. Then they showed me how EASY it was and I decided that I should let her have a go at it. Logan taught Gwen to bark like a maniac while waiting and Sizzle and Sael taught me how to properly tie the coursing slip so I didn't like a (huge) idiot when I was releasing Gwen.

It's a lot of fun. My biggest complaint is how short it is. We had a bit of a wait due to bad planning on the courser's part and lot of dogs. I think Logan and Gwen spent more time barking at the lure and others dogs coursing than actually running themselves. (At least Logan and Gwen could wait outside. Sizzle's dobes had to wait in the car because they got CRAZY when they saw the lure!)

I'm not sure if there were any Ibizans there. I know there were some sighthounds but Sizzle and Sael would know more than I about the breeds.

Skittle's Joey looks like a fun dog. I love his random tufts of hair.

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/
Old 10-30-2013, 01:35 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

I agree with Sizzle... lure coursing is something you can do while also doing other things. You should totally go for it!

As for basenji's...it has been quite the experience having my boy after previously having cocker spaniels and a collie. He keeps me on my toes that is for sure. They can be so spectacularly naughty. Are Shiba's that naughty?

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 10-30-2013, 11:31 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

There are quite a few Ibizan people that also lurk this forum so hopefully they will decide to also chime in. I can send momto8 a text to let her know about this thread in case she wants to add some info. She has three. She doesn't get on Chaz much anymore though.

I was on a list to get an Ibizan puppy when Joey popped up needing a home. I picked him up with the intention of helping get him to a foster family for Ibizan Hound Rescue of the US, but he ended up staying. Backing out of the litter I had intended on getting a puppy from was a really difficult decision, but at the same time Joey really pulled my heart strings and I couldn't let him go.

My experience with Ibizans is limited to my own dog and a few other Ibizans that I know so I really do hope that someone with more experience with the breed will also add more info.

Joey is a really fun dog. He can be majestic and poised and then turn around and derp happens. He has a really silly playful personality and charms just about everyone he meets. I wouldn't necessarily say he is aloof, but he can sometimes be slightly hesitant to approach new people at first, but that doesn't usually last long and before you know it he is excited about his new friends. More often than not though he sees a strange person and wants to leap right over to them to say hello so it's rare that he shows any sort of aloofness.

Joey is very affectionate. While he can be a bouncy nutter butter, he is also content to cuddle up with me in bed while I watch tv. As long as he can be by my side he doesn't care where we go.... unless of course squirrels happen... or rabbits... oh sighthounds. Sizzle made a good point btw... these guys get some SERIOUS air so high fences are a REALLY good idea. For the most part Joey wont try to jump a fence, but if he wants to he can easily scale a 5-6 foot fence with ease. I've seen him jump that high on multiple occasions.

Training... I don't know exactly what is typical as far as how easy or difficult Ibizans are to train. I really only have my experience with Joey to go by on this one. He isn't necessarily hard to train. When I first got him I thought he was a stubborn ass and I didn't feel like I could teach him anything. I later learned that I needed more patience and that his learning style is just a little different that that of my other dogs. He doesn't free shape well at all and gets frustrated if I try free shaping sessions with him. Luring seems to work better when teaching him most new things. He definitely isn't stupid at all, but he is a little slow to catch on. That may just be him though.

One thing that amazes me about this dog is how small he can curl up. He is a long and tall dog... he can literally take up my whole bed if he wants to, but then he can also curl up and fit in the smallest of spaces. I don't know how he does it... some sort of beezer magic.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 10-30-2013, 11:42 PM

And some pics

Proof of cuddles (with my husband)

Modeling a new collar (lighting was a little harsh and it's a cellphone photo so...)

Hay ride this past weekend

The beezer is not amused with all the pictures
Old 10-30-2013, 11:50 PM

and some more

one of my fav pics of Joey

Prior to his wire filling in a little more...

Again prior to his wire filling in a little more. His previous owner stripped all of his wire coat so that he looked smooth.