a few times a week 8 17.02%
a few times a month 7 14.89%
rarely 8 17.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2013, 08:56 PM
Top Dog

Default How often do you say...

"I love you"?

To your SO, parents, siblings, children, friends, extended family, pets, etc.

Hope this isn't too personal. I'm just curious because I'm sure it varies as to what is the norm from household to household. I made the poll multiple options because I'm sure it varies based on who we're referring to. And go!

I'd say I say I love you to my SO on average several times a day because we see each other most days, to my parents probably a few times a week (mom more so than dad not for any reason except that I seem to be on the phone with her more often). If I'm around them, then it's more often. Siblings are probably a few times a month unless I'm seeing them in which case it's more often. And the extended family definitely varies from several times a month to rarely depending upon how often I get to see them. No kids here, so that's a moot point! I don't tell the pets I love them over the phone haha, but I do tell it to Boo quite frequently when she's around. Friends rarely.

It was a very common phrase in my household growing up, but I figure some are more reserved with throwing it around regularly. I've always been reserved about using the phrase with non-relatives (except for my SO now).

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 10-29-2013, 08:59 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Probably at least 5 times a day to hubs. Mom, once a week? Depends on how much I talk to her, I guess.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 10-29-2013, 08:59 PM
Top Dog

I say it multiple times every day to my husband and Caleb. The rest of the family (sons, my mother, fil, etc), whenever we see or talk to them.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:08 PM
Love My Mutt <3

To the pets, about a billion times a day. When I'm going away for more than a week to my parents. Whenever a friend needs to know they're loved, or when I see them for a while. (Though, it's more like "love ya", rather that I love you. )

When there was a bf, differed from once a day to multiple times, depending on if I saw them? Lol

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-29-2013, 09:12 PM
Top Dog

More to my pets than the humans in my life...

Old 10-29-2013, 09:13 PM
Lab Love

Hardly ever.

I say it the most to my grandma 'cause she has this obsession with saying it (she always wants it to be the last thing she says to someone, some morbid reason about death)

I haven't said it to my dad or sister in years. My mom in like, 8-10months? I've never told a friend I love them.

It's not that I don't love them, because I do. I'm just not a sentimental person I suppose. Some things can be left unsaid. I've never had a boyfriend so I'm unsure how it will differ. People tend to be more lovey with their SO so who knows.

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 10-29-2013, 09:14 PM
Top Dog

To my parents (particularly my mother), several times a day. Before she goes out the door (even if it's just a shopping trip or a night out), before she goes to sleep, before hanging up the phone when talking to her, or just randomly throughout the day.

Yes, I'm very attached to my mother. Shaddup

To my grandmother, when I call her/before hanging up. To my sister, very occasionally, maybe once every 300 conversations? LOL

To two of my close friends, I say it every time before ending a conversation.

To Trent? 2-3 times a day! I randomly just coo at him for no reason whatsoever. I tell my fat cat I love her a few times a week, and I'm pretty sure I've never told Squirrelcat that I love her I do, though. It just never comes to mind when I'm around her because she's being such a spazz.

I've never told a boyfriend that I loved him, because I never have.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:18 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

We are very forthcoming with the ILY's around here. Many times a day. Whenever hubby and I part ways whether one of us is going out, on the phone or in messaging.

With Hannah... All the time. Whenever she does something funny or sweet and sometimes I'll just look at her and be like... "Hey, YOU..." She looks at me kind of shocked or just like what is your deal and then I smile and say "I love you" lol makes her laugh every time haha

My parents and inlaws... Whenever we talk on the phone whoch is usually once a day. Although with my mom and step dad we say "a doo doo" lol. It's a running joke as one of the kids said it that way when they were little

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 10-29-2013, 09:26 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Not very often to my parents... or any other human right now. When I have an SO it's usually a "love ya bye" type of thing. Which once got me in trouble because I said it to a boyfriend, as I was ending a phone call, before I was ready to say it out loud... so I hung up and immediately broke into a cold sweat... "do you think he heard that?! CRAP he DEFINITELY heard that... maybe he thinks he misheard me... shoot... what do I do?! Do I say it again next time? Do I wait for HIM to say it? OH GOD"

I say it to Auggie every time I leave the house because his crate is nearish the door, so I put him away last and say "I love you Auggie, be good, bye." Probably once or twice a day to the other pups.

I'm not a very touchy-feely lovey-dovey person really...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-29-2013, 09:29 PM
Top Dog

A gazillion times a day. I will often send emails to Zach if I get a split second during the day that say nothing but, "Hi. I love you." or "FYI, love you oodles." Just lets him know I'm thinking about him!

I tell Miss Lucyfur I love her lots too. And kiss the top of her furry little head

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG