Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-29-2013, 12:02 PM
Top Dog

Default Holiday Shopping!

It's a little early, but with the kid around complicating the shopping thing, I'll be starting early this year.

Who are you buying for? Any purchases made yet? Or ideas of what to get anyone? Where are your favorite places to shop - in person or online?

Also, everyone with little ones, when did you start getting gifts for family members "from" your kids? Did you do it from their first holiday, or only when they were old enough to know better?

~~~
I'll be buying for:
Daughter
Boyfriend
Mom
Dad
Brother
Aunt
Grandma
Best Friend
Possibly 2-3 other friends
Boyfriend's parents - although I may just get them framed pictures or something from Lillian and cookies or whatever and skip a real gift from me
Boyfriend's 10 yr old sister

So far I have no ideas for anyone. My family is hard to shop for.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 10-29-2013, 12:15 PM
Top Dog

I'm probably just going to do gifts for the immediate family, my boyfriend, and possibly the grandparents, especially if we'll be seeing them over break.

I got the Game of Thrones book series for my brother, a backpacking water filter straw thing for my sister (a bit of a joke, albeit none-the-less useful, because she and my BIL don't have one and wound up carrying enough water for a 22 mile day-hike over the summer... talk about a lot of water weight on your back!)

I'm planning to burn all of the old baby video cassette tapes from way back when to DVDs. They've been sitting in a box now for ~10-15 years because we have no way to play them... I'm hoping to edit and compile some of the best clips into a single DVD and either put it to music, or something of the sort... If this works, I'll be doing it for the parents and grandparents. If I don't find time to do the edited video, I'll probably just give my parents the burned (unedited) DVDs, but I'm really hoping to be able to edit them.

Of course, this involves waiting for Thanksgiving break to roll around because a friend of mine is the one that has the equipment to make the cassette to DVD conversion and his hometown (i.e the current location of the equipment) is ~10 hours away from school. I also need to find access to a better quality video editor (as opposed to Movie Maker), so I need to get in touch with a friend to help with that too. I'm hoping that it's not as much of an ordeal as it seems, but I think it'll be appreciated.

Not a clue as to what to do for the boyfriend yet, though I probably shouldn't post even if I did, because while I don't think he's ever been on chaz, he knows it's my guilty pleasure and I'm sure it'd be the day that I posted his Christmas gifts that he decided to make an impromptu visit to the site. Despite that - if you have ideas, I'll take those!

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 10-29-2013, 12:16 PM
Top Dog

I say this every year and never do it, but I am going to bake and box and hand those out! I spend a ton every year on everyone and just can not do it this year with all the money we are putting into the house right now.

My dads sides is huge and usually end up buying everyone something plus the kids. Then there is still my moms side and the husbands as well. Then work friends and friends etc. I could spend thousands.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 10-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Bored Now.

I am possibly getting Bazinga or Avalanche beer glasses for my roommate. Other than that, probably no one. I don't really celebrate Christmas.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:26 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I don't think we're really doing Christmas this year :-/ it's a bad year for finances, so...

Regardless, I'll do something with my ferrets, and potentially just go away somewhere myself to get out.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-29-2013, 12:26 PM
PSD Partner

With 4 kids to buy for and extended family I do all my shopping on Kijiji and also the FB garage sale sites and mom swap sites. We have no issues with getting used things that are in great condition. For example Doug's main gift this year is something he has wanted since I met him. A hunting bow. I got an older style one that is worth about $700 with all the extra arrows and so on for only $75. He has no idea. I was also able to get my daughter almost the entire Warrior Cats novel set for $10. She is an avid book reader. I have been buying since the spring because we had 3 b-days just this month(Dedrick 9, Ronan 6 and Nico turned 1) and also Isabeau's b-day (15th) is in November. So been buying for Christmas and B-days. Still a ton more to do but those sites give a much wider selection then any store. I have gotten things for outside of Canada that people have gotten on vacation or from moving here. All in excellent condition. All Nico's b-day toys were used yet no one knew till I said so. It is the perfect way to get a lot more for a lot less.

All our local friends get baking for Christmas. So the only other people to buy for is my dad and his family and that we have to ship to them.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:28 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I have a few little things for my mom and dad... by and large people are getting handmade gifts this year though.

In my dreams I get a cool, well-paying job, and I can buy my family all sorts of fabulous gifts they deserve.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-29-2013, 12:41 PM
Top Dog

We have a lot of September and October birthdays around here, so I haven't even started thinking about Christmas yet. Will definitely be buying something for my mother, father, grandmother, and sister. Will probably also get something small for one of my roommates, and put together a gift basket for a good friend.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Josh
Josh's parents
Brother
My mom
Maaaaybe my sister?
May do something small for friends, but idk yet. Money's kinda tight atm.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 10-29-2013, 01:54 PM
Top Dog

I'm only buying for 4 of my bestest friends this year.

We don't really do family gifts because I only have one family member here in the same country and we're not close.

For one friend I've bought a ring and a 10 year anniversary..friendiversary? bracelet

For the other 3 I have no idea and I'm starting to freak out because I like to finish all christmas shopping before the end of November so I don't encounter the christmas rush!