Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-17-2013, 10:07 PM
I'm All Ears

Oh yeah she as definitely shut down the first part and when we were introducing the rats she was paying more attention to the people and dogs around. Her last run she bolted out the start box and really searched hard for a long time but just didn't alert much at all. My old agility instructor (we had 3 of Mia's trainers there!) said she looked a lot happier that last run.

I may email the instructor and see if we can get her introduced on the rats early and away from other dogs and people other than me, maybe? I think being crowded by strange people and dogs really had her worried for about the first hour.

I don't know if they'd have room for multiple dogs but I'd love to try them both. Ack, I'm torn! I'm pretty sure Summer would be totally useless as a rat hunter but would have a blast and be great comedy to watch search if she's anything like she is in nosework. And her natural instinct is to jump on EVERYTHING. Today Summer came but was just passed around from lap to lap. I swear, she's the most popular of the three of us.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Top Dog

I think she'll do better with repeated exposure! Some dogs (I've helped start 75 so far) need a couple exposures before they really get into it and learn the game. It's promising that she got better and more comfortable as the day progressed!!

It's completely overwhelming at first for more sensitive dogs.

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador | Smallpox - 2014 Rat Terrier
Old 11-18-2013, 08:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
The thing I don't get is that at home Mia has seen several kinds of live traps with mice and gone NUTS. I would have thought that would transfer over very easily? She's always been a big chase fan but if I have a mouse in a trap she is digging at it and biting it and trying to get that darn thing out.
I haven't read the whole thread...what was her introduction to rats? I'm afraid Rhys will do the same thing; act prey-driven and nuts at home but show little interest when it's time to 'hunt'.

I'm thinking about buying some live feeder mice, building my own tube, and training up Rhys at home before his first trial. Mice are easy to feed/keep for a few weeks, and I have friends with snakes who would take them after I'm done.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:05 PM
Behavior Nerd

Some dogs do take some time to get the game - especially if there has been any discouraging of prey hunting before or if they are environmentally sensitive.

On another note, if anyone here is interested in BH and are located in the Southeastern US, there's a new fb group you might want to check out: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1483575698533682/

Old 11-20-2013, 08:47 PM
I'm All Ears

She's been hunting mice all day around my living room. I think I'm going to sign her up again but I feel guilty for not trying Summer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
I haven't read the whole thread...what was her introduction to rats? I'm afraid Rhys will do the same thing; act prey-driven and nuts at home but show little interest when it's time to 'hunt'.

I'm thinking about buying some live feeder mice, building my own tube, and training up Rhys at home before his first trial. Mice are easy to feed/keep for a few weeks, and I have friends with snakes who would take them after I'm done.
They had us see the rats in a cage. The rat wasn't really doing much. Then we put the rat in a tube you can't see through and intro'd the dog to that. Mia's problem was so many dogs in line and some were being very crazy and it scared her.

I think I could DEFINITELY train it like nosework and also build the drive. If she saw me holding a rat that'd be it.... But I'm not buying rats to do barn hunts with, LOL.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:49 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9krazee View Post
I think she'll do better with repeated exposure! Some dogs (I've helped start 75 so far) need a couple exposures before they really get into it and learn the game. It's promising that she got better and more comfortable as the day progressed!!

It's completely overwhelming at first for more sensitive dogs.
The lady who was running it says she won't train dogs who aren't into it and if the dogs don't get excited by the end of the exposure that she would just find another sport. I think Mia just needs more time and a less stressful way to be exposed to the rats.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
She's been hunting mice all day around my living room. I think I'm going to sign her up again but I feel guilty for not trying Summer...

They had us see the rats in a cage. The rat wasn't really doing much. Then we put the rat in a tube you can't see through and intro'd the dog to that. Mia's problem was so many dogs in line and some were being very crazy and it scared her.

I think I could DEFINITELY train it like nosework and also build the drive. If she saw me holding a rat that'd be it.... But I'm not buying rats to do barn hunts with, LOL.
Yeah, I'm totally not a rat person

But I can handle the little feeder mice...they're actually kind of cute and easy to keep! My husband's afraid I won't be able to designate them as snake food after I train up the pup

Old 11-21-2013, 09:28 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
The lady who was running it says she won't train dogs who aren't into it and if the dogs don't get excited by the end of the exposure that she would just find another sport. I think Mia just needs more time and a less stressful way to be exposed to the rats.
That's crazy!!!!! Absolutely. Less stress and a little more time. Sometimes letting dogs intro with a dog who's really into it can help. Some people have also click/treat for any interaction with the rat at first and have had decent results.

I've seen dogs that don't get into it until their second or third time.

Then there are dogs who are gung-ho at first and lose interest quickly when there's no 'reward'. I've had those people carry treats and jackpot a find and it keeps the motivation up.

Other dogs it's very self rewarding and they'll look for rats (that they can't see or touch) all day every day.

They're all different. And there may possibly be a dog who doesn't enjoy the game after repeated exposures and attempts...I just haven't seen it yet!

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador | Smallpox - 2014 Rat Terrier
Old 11-30-2013, 07:23 PM
Top Dog

I just signed me and Bates up for a barn hunt workshop next weekend. I’m so excited. I think Breez would like it too, but the “smaller” dog always gets picked to test things out. I heard something about a 22 inch tunnel and decided on the 26 inch dog versus the 33 inch one LOL.

But yeah, totally excited to see what he’ll do with a barn hunt. Considering he’s been out in the yard most of the day digging up moles, it should be interesting
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 11-30-2013, 07:50 PM
Behavior Nerd

OOOOooooooh I can't wait to hear how Bates likes barnhunt and if you think Breez will be able to do the tunnel at some point!