Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-30-2013, 01:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
I drove 90 minutes each way for two days in a row to get to our trial...usually I'm a night owl, but you get used to getting up at 5a for dog events.
Yeah, 1-2 hours each way is pretty standard for the shows I've been to. After traveling for work for a couple years, my desire to sleep in my own bed outweighs my desire to sleep in, so I'm ok with leaving super early.

Watson - Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 10-31-2013, 10:18 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
I drove 90 minutes each way for two days in a row to get to our trial...usually I'm a night owl, but you get used to getting up at 5a for dog events.
Yeah I'm pretty sure I'd rather spend about $50-60 on a motel and food for the night/morning than get up at 5am for a 2 hour drive followed by a day at a trial only to hop back in the car for a 2 hour drive home. All of this assuming I don't hit bad traffic of course.

Anyone else in the northeast thinking about going to the barn hunt in Red Lion, PA in December? Be cool to meet up on the Saturday before. Could drive up earlier on Saturday instead of later afternoon to just spend the night in the motel.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:44 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I want to try Barn Hunt so bad. I mentioned wanting to try it on Facebook and had one friend all but ream me a new one on how it's such a cruel sport and too stressful on the rats.

I still really want to do it though.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:55 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwall View Post
Yeah I'm pretty sure I'd rather spend about $50-60 on a motel and food for the night/morning than get up at 5am for a 2 hour drive followed by a day at a trial only to hop back in the car for a 2 hour drive home. All of this assuming I don't hit bad traffic of course.

Anyone else in the northeast thinking about going to the barn hunt in Red Lion, PA in December? Be cool to meet up on the Saturday before. Could drive up earlier on Saturday instead of later afternoon to just spend the night in the motel.
I can probably do this one if someone wants to carpool. I'm worried about driving my car that far because my transmission situation a little bit ago, but if someone wants to carpool and I help pay for gas then totally.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:18 PM
Active Pup

How cool! I have never even heard of barn hunts. I need to do some research on it.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:30 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
I can probably do this one if someone wants to carpool. I'm worried about driving my car that far because my transmission situation a little bit ago, but if someone wants to carpool and I help pay for gas then totally.
Maybe. Would mostly depend on the dogs meeting and getting along before hand. Don't want two strange dogs stuck in a car together for that long who decided they aren't happy with each other for some reason.

Edit:
Oh and from what I've read on the BHA website they rats aren't harmed at all and are said to enjoy the attention. I'm just going by what the site says though.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:18 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwall View Post

Edit:
Oh and from what I've read on the BHA website they rats aren't harmed at all and are said to enjoy the attention. I'm just going by what the site says though.
The rats are perfectly happy. The rules are really specific on how they are to be treated. Rats are intelligent and social animals, they know they aren't in danger, and get a kick out of the goings on. The reason that the rules specify use of rats rather than another rodent is that rats don't stress about handling like most other rodents do.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:29 AM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Oh yeah, when we did our Barn Hunt seminar thing, even the rat in a cage looked totally chill!

Loistava's Jari - 14 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 11-01-2013, 08:11 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Denis and I help rat wrangle at every event. Sarah (flynsbt) and Denis and I have been to events for a year now starting with experimental, to fun matches, to finally real trials. The rats are extremely well cared for and happy, it actually borders on leaning towards an obedience exercise over an instinct exercise with the hyper vigilance on not allowing the dogs to abuse the rats. We have to work with Sloan on this a lot, I am sure Sarah would as well if her dogs were bigger. Allowing the dogs to lift, shake, grind on, and over stimulate on the rat tubes is frowned upon and up to the judges call as DQable "rat abuse". Most judges at this point realize these dogs are hunting and aren't too hard on them, most are grandfathered from earth dogs where they are encouraged to "work" the rat by biting bars, barking, digging, and are often trained this behavior by real pest control.

Rats [here] always enter the tube without force and we rotate them with each class and sometimes sooner if they've been worked by vigorous hunters.

Shamoo is a great but passive hunter. She bothers the rat lightly with pawing and nosing. She's easy on the rats and wranglers like her style.

Also, many dogs that are activated and crazed by moving prey have trouble with the inactive hunt, relying on the nose. This is why workshops and training are encouraged, to help association for the dogs and help them distinguish between bedding and the rat.

Sloan over stimulates and likes to carry bedding tubes while she hunts or sometimes just plays with them. The challenge is her alert between play and a rat find are not distinguishable. The trick that we have found to work is regular re-association with rats in earth dog boxes helps remind her she's hunting, not playing.

Both girls are 1leg from entering RATS(senior), I'll try for some videos when I get to a computer.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:47 AM
I'm All Ears

Interesting!

Well we've had a few mice show up this last day. Mia gets way overstimulated by the sight of any small fuzzy thing moving but at the same time my livetraps are not 100% see through-able and I actually rely on Mia to let me know if there is a mouse hiding under the entrance ramp (they love doing that). So she is used to searching them out by nose but if she sees one the nose tends to turn off and she goes nuts.

She will bite the trap though and try to drag it off and will bark nonstop whenever she has cornered a mouse or found the area it has gone into (like my vent).

It should be interesting. She loves using her nose in nosework too.