Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-08-2013, 08:54 PM
I'm All Ears

Default Advice- moving dogs to a gated room

So for a few reasons I need to move the dog stuff out of the back room. Namely the huge x-pen that makes the entire room useless.

I have a gate that I decided to try with the kitchen. It'll give them more room and also keep them on the linoleum in case of accidents. And also they can look outside through the glass door if they want too. The issue is that when I've tried putting Mia in the kitchen she barks and whines and howls, which she doesn't do in the pen. I have work tomorrow and already tore down the x-pen.

What should I do? I took out all cleaners and things so Mia can't get into anything in the cabinets if she opens the doors. Should I put the x-pen up in the kitchen at first? I can't keep it that way as it will take over the entire room and render it useless. But could that help with the transition?

Also, the potty pad.... I'm not sure where to put it and if that will transition well. She can't hold it very long at all (I think she has mild spay incontinence honestly) so if I'm gone over a couple hours, I leave a potty pad. I'm worried she will not know where to go in the new pen if she has to.

I'm a little nervous giving her free run of a room while I'm out. I'm definitely going to check in halfway through the day. The only other options are to gate her in the entry, which is very not convenient for me as I'd have to navigate through there, plus it's a smaller area.

She has calmed down after about 15 minutes of carrying on in the kitchen.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:44 PM
Little dog, big voice

I think keeping the x-pen up could definitely help.

I actually transitioned Cali from her crate to a three room area (living room, kitchen and dining room) with no issues. I just make sure nothing is on the floor that she'd be tempted to eat/chew on, and I leave her crate open as well as a few blankets on the floor with a bunch of chews. She also has Moses for company but I assume he just lays on his bed all day and leaves her be.

No accidents thus far, like I was worried about either. About the potty pad, maybe put it in the x-pen and just keep it open? Then eventually just remove the x-pen completely.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:36 AM
Top Dog

I, too, think keeping the xpen is a good idea, just to help transition her to being in the kitchen. I think it will also help with the pee pad issue since she's already used to the pee pad being in the pen. Maybe after a few "successful" days with that set up, you'll be able to switch to the gate, but I'd leave the pee pad in the same place for a bit more. As for opening the cabinets- they make child proof latches for cabinets that should do the trick.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:05 PM
Top Dog

When she was howling in the kitchen, were you home? I ask because Jackson would acting like he was DYING if he is in any way locked away from me (door closed, gated in my bedroom, etc) if he knows I'm home. If he knows I'm actually leaving, he just goes to sleep (I video taped him a few times lol). So she may just be making noise because you're home but would be fine when you're actually gone? Or... maybe not? lol...

Brit & Jackson