Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-25-2013, 10:56 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Default Does your dog react to TV?

Cynder couldn't care less about what is going on in regards to the television. Abrams, however, is a different story.

If I'm watching something, he will often stop what he's doing (typically chewing on a bone) and stare at the TV in fascination. I'm not really sure what exactly grabs his attention, but when it does, he is mesmerized. He'll also respond to sound and go up to the speakers with his head cocked, trying to figure out what it is. Again, I can't really figure out what triggers him, but it is freaking cute when he does so. He will watch dogs with unwavering attention and will also respond to their vocalizations.

And, funnily enough, he reacts if I pause the TV when it is zoomed in on a person or their face. He'll be walking by without a care in the world, then look up and see the person and start barking like, "Whoa! How did you get here? Mom! Something is wrong!" This evening I had paused it while watching Once Upon a Time and it was frozen on a profile shot of Mr. Gold. I stepped into the bathroom and no sooner had I put my pajamas on Abrams was barking at the TV, horribly insulted that Mr. Gold was standing in his livingroom. Once I played the episode again he lost all interest in the people.

Granted, we have a big TV and it is on a stand that puts it about eye level with Abrams...but I just find his reactions amusing! How does your dog react?

Old 10-25-2013, 10:59 PM
Silence, peasants.

Ha, Abrams sounds so entertaining. Wesley couldn't care less. Feist hasn't seen much TV, but when she has, she watches it. She's paid attention to sports and was very alert throughout watching perks of being a wallflower, lol.

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 10-25-2013, 11:03 PM
orange iguanas.

Juno used to "watch" TV all the time and tilt her head back and forth to the strange noises. She doesn't really seem to care about it anymore, though.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 10-25-2013, 11:09 PM
Mutts to you

The dogs don't react at all but one of our cats is very interested in helicopters on TV. Mikey will jump on the arm of the nearest chair and watch intently until it goes off screen. He's more interested in the larger military style helicopters.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 10-25-2013, 11:11 PM
Top Dog

Journey watches TV sometimes. With animals or without. She just likes things that move I think, and the TV has moving things, so it holds her attention. She's very casual about it though. Not intense at all.

Ripley used to react to dogs on TV by barking and growling at them. It was really annoying, especially because I actually like watching shows with dogs. He seemed to grow out of it... I actually forgot he ever even did that until just now. It must have stopped a while ago.

Dance and Keira don't acknowledge the TV at all and never have.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 10-25-2013, 11:25 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Frodo, never.

Siri...an annoying amount. Any time there is a bird or dog on the television OMG! She stands on two legs and growls at the tv, will jump on the table and stand there to watch. She will also just lie down and watch it like a human, but as soon as there is a bird or dog on the television then there is a big to-do about it!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:29 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Art never does.

Talon all the time! he will sit and watch tv with us all the time. if there is an animal in tv he runs up to it to try and sniff it. the first few times he saw a dog on tv he was so confused. He scored the tv, then looked behind it, then looked at the tv, then back behind it again.lol
Old 10-25-2013, 11:35 PM
Wookie Collie

Finn doesn't specifically perk up to anything on TV, and ignores it most of the time. If he's snuggled up with me on the couch, though, he will specifically watch the movement on the screen, but it doesn't affect him.

The one exception to this rule is if I watch herding trials on TV (which has only happened twice). The whistle gets his attention and he perks and headtilts like crazy. WHERE ARE THE SHEEP FOOD LADY

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 10-26-2013, 12:01 AM
Lord Cynical

Jayne does. It doesn't help that we have 50" flatscreens, so he has a LOT to look at. He reacts the most to people running. He HATES people who run on TV.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 10-26-2013, 12:36 AM
Wu-Tang Steph

Doorbell ringing on TV? EVERY ONE.

Otherwise, pretty much only Jonas and ONLY Hugh Laurie's voice. We literally could not watch House. I had to CC him to the sound of the voice of an actor he has never met to watch a TV show I liked because my dog is a weirdo.