Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-30-2013, 09:14 AM
I'm All Ears

Default Traveling with 3+ dogs

Something I haven't thought about but how do those of you who travel/trial with 3+ dogs find hotel rooms?

If all goes to plan in late 2014-2015 I will add a puppy and I would like to continue taking all 3 dogs to any trial even if Summer/Mia aren't competing anymore. At least for as long as possible as Summer loooooves playing trial lap dog buddy.

All the hotels I've seen have a 2 pet limit and 75-80 lb combined weight limit. Is that the norm? Have you had luck with hotels and 3 dogs or large dogs? Obviously for now it's fine but it is an aspect of 3 dogs I hadn't considered.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:47 AM
Kung Pow Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Something I haven't thought about but how do those of you who travel/trial with 3+ dogs find hotel rooms?

If all goes to plan in late 2014-2015 I will add a puppy and I would like to continue taking all 3 dogs to any trial even if Summer/Mia aren't competing anymore. At least for as long as possible as Summer loooooves playing trial lap dog buddy.

All the hotels I've seen have a 2 pet limit and 75-80 lb combined weight limit. Is that the norm? Have you had luck with hotels and 3 dogs or large dogs? Obviously for now it's fine but it is an aspect of 3 dogs I hadn't considered.
Honestly two Paps doesnt even count XD say you have 1 big dog and 1 small dog, and show up with 1 dog and a carrier under one arm and they will believe you
To change the world
To reach the farthest star
If we should stay silent
If fear should win our hearts
Our light will have long diminished
Before it reaches the farthest star"

-Ronan Harris, NVN Nation
Old 10-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Vizsla mom

We tend to stay in motels for just that reason When we travel we have a Border Collie, a Vizsla& a Border mix.. we've never had any problems with it because motels just open to the outside!

I don't think it would be a huge issue ..lots of agility folks seem to have a bundle of dogs& all of them manage to find rooms!
Old 10-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Top Dog

Motel 6. Most of them don't care. I was staying in a Mo6 once, where they did want to know how many dogs I had, and I was worried about admitting I had 3 dogs. But I did, and then the lady said "we have 3 dogs too. There's a couple here that has seven dogs! And they say they all live in the house! Can you imagine that?"

Old 10-30-2013, 10:59 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Red Roof Inn doesn't really care. I've had more than one person say (and not because I was like "Hey I have two dogs with me") "It's supposed to be a one-dog limit per room but we really don't care."
La Quinta has never said anything about how many dogs or a weight limit either.

For Springfield (Red Roof) we had all four dogs with us. I only left one crate in the room when we weren't there, so really the only way they would have known is because I went in and out with four dogs. =P

Some places that charge a fee per pet don't have a limit, but some do.

I think as long as your dogs are quiet and aren't causing problems, they don't really care that much. I'm not sure what the Drury Inn "limit" is but I know lots of people who stay there for agility trials with multiple dogs.

In the future I'll mostly be taking three. Auggie will go with whenever possible, Pepper will stay behind. My mom took her out to potty at the fairgrounds and was like "I forgot that Pepper is... Pepper." She didn't do super well. She has recently decided that my dad is her BFF 95% of the time, so she gets to stay behind with him in the future. Apparently my dad was disappointed I took her with me... what?? You didn't even LIKE her! You said you were sick of her and she had to go! WTF? Whatever.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-30-2013, 11:42 AM
Top Dog

Most cheap chains are pretty easy. I won't lie or sneak dogs in because I don't want to **** off the few remaining places that are good about dogs. La Quinta, Red Roof, and Motel 6 are all pretty good about multiples. Some Red Roofs in our area are a one dog limit, but when I have called ahead to ask about two, they are fine with it. I have a whole "they are experienced travelers and will never be left in the room alone and I will likely be getting in afer 8 pm and leaving by 6:30 am" speech, but I rarely have to use it. I have luck just being polite and upfront.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Silence, peasants.

Sneak the dogs in one by one? Haha.

I did stay in a holiday inn and just brought Feist in, though she was one small puppy. No one cared, didn't even get charged the dog fee. But in general, motels are the answer.

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle