Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Vizsla mom

Default Tallest dog

Is this dog healthy? I don't know anything about Danes but I just found this video on Buzzfeed& was curious when I saw the debate about the video!
Old 10-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Top Dog

As healthy as any giant dog I suppose, i mean George made it 8, not old for a Dane, but pretty much average.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffiangirl View Post
As healthy as any giant dog I suppose, i mean George made it 8, not old for a Dane, but pretty much average.
Eh, I dont consider 8 average personally. George was also very overweight (at least when I last saw him in pics and videos). At 8 he did not die of old age, something else was going on.

155 lbs is quite slim for a dog at 44" so here we have almost the opposite of George, this dog is flirting with being underweight and dangers from that.

I do not think giant breeds are naturally unhealthy either. Many that are well bred are very structurally sound, very well put together. The extreme end of height is usually going to run you into some problems but the average dane should be healthy.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:41 PM
Top Dog

Ya sorry im at work, i thought I had put something about larger danes.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:11 PM
Wu-Tang Steph

I've met Zeus a handful of times and he's just.. way too thin. He looks awkward in person. The family is aware he is thin and during all the hub bub of last year they made an announcement about their vet looking into what may be the cause, but I never saw any update and I wouldn't personally go to the vet they see. I think they said he was eating something like 12 cups and a few cans of food a day.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Top Dog

That dog structurally is a mess, his hind end is weak and he has a very roached topline (probably from trying to keep weight off his hind end). He is thin, but honestly that may be better for his structure at this point.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 10-23-2013, 11:19 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Wow I second what Sara said. You can see his spine and his hips shake. If you look at then he is walking he is not moving right either. Poor guy.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 10-23-2013, 11:30 PM
Top Dog

I bet hes so tall because he was neutered early. He has the classic signs of being neutered early.
I would say hes not all that healthy looking. Super thin and tall, and put together badly.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:07 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsydals View Post
I bet hes so tall because he was neutered early. He has the classic signs of being neutered early.
I would say hes not all that healthy looking. Super thin and tall, and put together badly.
This was what came to my mind first... he's ridiculously leggy.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 10-26-2013, 12:27 AM
*Biter*

I watched another video of him last year and it was just..painful. His legs appear to be made of elastic - his movement is ghastly.

If it were me...I wouldn't parade him around. Maybe they're doing everything they can to keep him healthy, but to me, flaunting his size isn't cool. There are enough jackarses out there breeding crap to crap to try and create super giants. People don't need to give them more incentive to do so. It's not "exciting" to have a structural nightmare, especially when they begin to fall apart in front of your eyes and there is nothing you can do to stop it.

FWIW, I had a dane that was 42" at the withers. He was neutered early, but weighed 195 lbs. He was still ribby, but an ideal weight. He was proportionate. This dog's structure might have been exacerbated by an early neuter, but I don't think that's the only thing at play here. JMO.

Ditto - 2 year old APBT and Corvus - 7 year old supermutt
I need a signature re-vamp. Anyone up for the task?

Paws Jaws and Wrecking Balls