Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-27-2013, 10:32 PM
Top Dog

Default Are there breeds your dog doesn't like or is scared of?

I meant to post about this a few weeks ago, but I met a friend up at the dog park a few weeks ago, which doesn't really happen often anymore, but we were on the small dog side and it was surprisingly a busy day. Maybe 10 little dogs.

Then there was a 7 month old english bulldog. She was honestly a sweetheart. There was no aggression, or any type of pushy behavior at all, etc, I watched very closely and feel I know dog body language pretty well... but I have NEVER seen Jackson react the way he did. He was honestly terrified of this super friendly dog. I think it was the snorting noises and just kind of "bulldog walk" maybe? I don't know, but every other dog he was fine/normal with, did some sniffing, a bit of play bows, etc, the poor sweet bulldog would come up to his butt to smell and Jackson would like cower away, tail tucked in, ears back, just very scared even though this dog was not doing anything alarming. I really think it was the pig-like noises and grunts the dog was making. He's looked at a few Pugs very oddly sometimes, too, but he's never been 'scared' of them.

But anyway, in general, he does not like bully-type dogs (including Boston Terriers, French Bulldogs) and he also doesn't like Boxers or young Labs.

The dogs he seemingly gets along with best and enjoys the most are herders, and other small terriers, most small white fluffyish dogs, and also Goldens he seems to love.

Brit & Jackson

Old 10-27-2013, 10:35 PM
Resident fainting goat

labs/lab mixes. Always.

He isn't scared or aggressive but you can tell he avoids them always. They are usually pretty pushy players and he doesn't like that I guess

The few he has met that he learns are ok he is totally fine with but those are the only dogs he shys away from at first
Old 10-27-2013, 10:41 PM
Top Dog

Bailey only likes other Springers and a select few other sporting dogs. She actively avoids most other dogs.

Buzz dislikes one particular Shiba Inu. The only dog he's ever growled at.

Gabby appears to love Ava!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 10-27-2013, 10:43 PM
Top Dog

Schnauzers. It's incredibly weird just how quickly and how angrily Trent reacts to Schnauzers. I don't know what it is about them, but he really dislikes the breed. I originally thought that it was limited to miniatures, but there's a new standard in the neighborhood and Trent's the same way with him.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:50 PM
such sights to show you

Maisy despises yellow retriever-ish dogs. There is a DA yellow lab our neighbor sometimes sits for who is her nemesis, and she seems to have generalized their mutual hatred.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:01 PM
Top Dog

Journey doesn't seem to have any discrepancies. She loves to play with pretty much all dogs. Especially speedy ones! But no, I can't think of any they she really doesn't like.

The Dobermans are not fans of Boxers. They try to avoid them and really dislike their play style I think. Other than that, I haven't noticed a trend. Neither one likes really pushy, in your face type dogs (they make an exception for Journey). But that's not a breed thing, more an individual thing. Oh! And I forgot. They really do not like terriers at all. Big or small. They don't understand their play styles and I think just don't like their attitudes.

Dance doesn't like most retrievers it seems. Or anything really in your face or pushy. She's not big on other dogs as it is, but retrievers and pushy dogs really get on her last nerve.

One of my past dogs, Tango, had a thing against brindle dogs. No idea why and I always thought it was kind of weird.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN

Last edited by Toller_08; 10-27-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:04 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Webster dislikes all bully type breeds. They make him nervous. He's been that way since I met him. The girls don't have any particular breed/type dislikes.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 10-27-2013, 11:08 PM
Blonde Raccoon

Great Danes, Seamus gets rattled.

Paris - On Target's Oooh La La
Seamus O'Grady, the supermutt.

& Sally, never forgotten.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:42 PM
Top Dog

Boxers. Elsie is wary of them.

Zobby hates husky type dogs.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:43 PM
Top Dog

GSD'S. And bulldog types ever since one rushed him at a pet store a few months ago

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!