Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: How often do you wash your dog dishes?
After every meal. 6 13.04%
Once a day. 5 10.87%
Once a week. 6 13.04%
Once a month. 4 8.70%
Wash...what? 23 50.00%
My dogs don't eat out of dishes/other. 2 4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2013, 03:01 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Um, they'll get thrown in the dishwasher every now and then. Usually not that often. I find it also doesn't really remove the slime, so meh. Everyone is excellent about cleaning their bowls, even if I've added water or something canned/raw to their food. And then they get let out of their crates and clean each others bowls. Then the bowls get put on top of their crates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
I mean... what do you do with them after the dog/cat is done eating?!
They either stay in the dogs crate (if my DH feeds) or they get put on top of their crates (if I feed, because it drives me crazy to hear the bowl clanking around when someone goes into their crate.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
I mean... what do you do with them after the dog/cat is done eating?!
I am kind of a clean freak and like things nice and tidy and not dirty, but the dog bowls just don't bother me for some reason haha. I mean, I never let them get to the "those look gross, better wash them!" point, but I don't feel I need to clean them thoroughly every day.

I just leave them in the area that the dogs are fed. They're out of the way, and the Dobes' food stands are there anyway, so they might as well stay there. Or I'll pile them all up on the counter after rinsing them.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Fennec - Tollwest Sugar Fox
[temporary puppy]
Old 10-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Show Dog

I just recently started to feed partial raw, one raw and one kibble meal a day. I bought a new stainless steal bowl for the raw meals, that gets rinsed with hot soapy water after each meal. Kibble meals are fed in a plastic slow feed bowl or a dispensing toy. The slow feed bowl gets tossed in the dishwasher maybe once every 1-2 months. The dispensing toy maybe gets hot soapy water every 1-2 months. Plastic water bowl gets dumped and a quick rinse at least twice a day, usually tossed in the dishwasher when the food bowl is washed too.

Water bowl is always out, slow feed plastic bowl has to be picked up or he'll chew on it or throw it at me thinking it'll get him more food (dog would eat himself to death if allowed I'm sure). Stainless steal bowl is cleaned and put up after meals. I also have an old towel to place under his bowl for raw meals as he picks up the big/boney items and chews away from the bowl. Still working on keeping him over the towel all the time. That towel gets washed every week or two.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:27 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I now don't even wash Cynder's dish. Abrams reward for minding his own business when I feed her is to lick her dish clean.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:23 PM
Top Dog

Probably about once a week. I do clean water bowl more often, but it's just a swipe of a paper towel to get grimy stuff off. We have well water so it gets kind of gross after two days. I do feed him dry mixed with wet so after a week the bowl looks pretty dingy and I need to wash it out. We use stainless steel.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:48 AM
BusterLove

I only wash when they really look like they need it. So... a year ago at least? Quinn doesn't leave anything behind to wash off.

I feed either raw or kibble with yoghurt/egg/sardines etc.

When they're finished with I usually pick them up and put them in the bottom of my pantry with my recycling and my bin bags. Old habit from living with multiple dogs and Quinn being food aggressive.

Water bowls I do every 2 - 4 weeks. By that I mean I rinse it out well and maybe run a cloth over it.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:43 AM
Top Dog

Once a month, maybe?

They don't really get very dirty... When I put supplements on them (for most meals) like yogurt or wet food, I add water as well and the dogs pretty much lick their bowls clean!

I have very basic stainless steel bowls with no lips or grooves or anything for food to get stuck in, thankfully.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 10-29-2013, 01:04 PM
Top Dog

My dogs get kibble, so there bowls only get washed when they're gross - I want to say once a week, but it might be more like every two weeks

Water bowl is rinsed every day and then washed maybe 1-2 times a week.

When I fed canned food or if I give raw it gets washed afterwards, but I've only ever given that once a day, so once a day.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 10-30-2013, 03:02 PM
:( only one :(

I feed mine home cooked, twice a day, in a dish and it gets put in the dishwasher after every use. I did feed them kibbles quite a few years ago and back then I didn't wash it quite as often so I can understand those who don't.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:21 PM
Silence, peasants.

Feist doesn't really eat out of a bowl yet, I just use it to measure out her daily food. I do add fish oil, so I clean it probably once a week. Wesley's bowl is cleaned once a month maybe? The water dish cats and dogs drink out of so it's rinsed and refilled a couple times a day.

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle