Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 10-30-2013, 11:14 AM
meepitsmeagan's Avatar
meepitsmeagan meepitsmeagan is offline
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southwest Michigan
Posts: 2,780
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempura tantrum View Post
Skip Youtube and go straight to the source for some good video!

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org...ng/vid:2624785

That link should take you directly to breed judging for ACDs.

Keep in mind that not everyone you see will be a great handler. The people you don't want to emulate are the ones that can't. stop. touching. their. dogs. Constantly adjusting your dog just tells the judge "Heeeey look at this! There's something wrong here and I keep fixing it!" Really good handlers make the dog look like it's showing itself. They're the people that make everyone think that "showing dogs is easy."

I have consistently battled anxiety and CRAZY ring nerves over showing my guy, so I will give you some advice that has helped me.

The most important thing of all is to SLOW DOWN. Your immediate compulsion when you get in, is to go like a bat out of hell. You're going to feel this desire to do everything fast because there's people waiting behind you, or the judge is staring, etc. Don't fall victim to it. Just breathe deeply, and move smoothly. Smile at your dog. If she already knows how to free-stack, go with that this first time around, so you don't feel pressured to set her up perfectly without a lot of practice.

When you move her, be sure to ease into the preferred speed (whatever movement SHE looks best at) for a few steps. Giving her a slow build up into that pace just looks better, and also lets the dog know what to expect.

Good luck! Honestly, as nervous as I get, it is still addictive. The minute I walk out of the ring I am already excited about doing again (even if I spent the past week being nervous!) I am sure you will have a great time.
Great post! Thank you for all of the great points. I spent a little time on Westminster's site watching the herding group, but couldn't find the breed specific shows so MUCH APPRECIATED!

Moving slow is definitely going to be a struggle point for me, as I do get self conscious about other people.

I go out to get my suit in a few days. The show is coming up SO fast!

Also, I appreciate the points on the contract issue. 2 years is the average that the breeder puts titles on a dog, so she just uses that as a baseline. I'm sure if I ended up needing more time that it could be arranged.
__________________


Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-30-2013, 11:29 AM
tempura tantrum's Avatar
tempura tantrum tempura tantrum is offline
Shiba Inu Slave
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: pacific northwest
Posts: 768
Default

Quote:
Great post! Thank you for all of the great points. I spent a little time on Westminster's site watching the herding group, but couldn't find the breed specific shows so MUCH APPRECIATED!

No worries!

WKC's website isn't always the easiest to navigate, and honestly, you would think there would be MORE available on Youtube, but there isn't a whole lot. Watching all-breed judging is helpful too, but I think it's important to get a general idea of how your breed is shown, especially when you're just starting out.

You really will have fun. I have found that I do best when I focus on just trying to present my dog as beautifully as possible, and less on "I've got to go Winners! I've got to go Winners!" Even if you can pick *one* thing that you want to nail, whether it's "a solid free-stack at the end of the down and back," or "going around the ring without breaking gait once," having a goal to focus on that is under your control (as opposed to winning points, which is entirely up to the judge), can take up so much brain space that you don't have time to worry!
__________________
Kan-i, Ryosei, Soboku

Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-30-2013, 07:04 PM
Gypsydals's Avatar
Gypsydals Gypsydals is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,801
Default

One of the biggest things that helped me, was remember have fun. I always told Ivan(was really telling myself) lets go have some fun. Do you know if you are going to go to the lansing shows? If you are let me know and we can meet up at some point either friday or sat.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-30-2013, 07:26 PM
meepitsmeagan's Avatar
meepitsmeagan meepitsmeagan is offline
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southwest Michigan
Posts: 2,780
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsydals View Post
One of the biggest things that helped me, was remember have fun. I always told Ivan(was really telling myself) lets go have some fun. Do you know if you are going to go to the lansing shows? If you are let me know and we can meet up at some point either friday or sat.
No Lansing shows for us that I know of... Just the Fall Harvest in K-Zoo.
__________________


Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-31-2013, 03:34 PM
Gypsydals's Avatar
Gypsydals Gypsydals is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
No Lansing shows for us that I know of... Just the Fall Harvest in K-Zoo.
Darn, I won't beable to go to that one at all. Even if I was able to get the day off from work, we have a birthday party to go too. And the inlaws had a hard time understanding when I was showing Ivan why I couldn't go to them. To not go to the birthday party for a dog show that I'm not showing in. Just won't go over good.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-31-2013, 04:12 PM
Elrohwen's Avatar
Elrohwen Elrohwen is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 1,114
Default

An opportunity came up recently and I'm hoping the more experienced conformation people here can help me. Similar to the OP, I have the chance to show a dog for someone else in November, but I'm a novice.

Basically, a Canadian breeder (who is friends with Watson's breeder) wants to send her girl down to the show, but can't come herself. It seems that most (or all) of the other people on the FB group are also showing class girls, so they can't show this one. Not 100% sure, but if someone can show this Canadian girl, it would probably make a major.

Now, as the only one showing a class boy that I know of, I'm in a position to possibly show this girl. I'm assuming that if she won Winner's Bitch and Watson was Winner's Dog, someone else would step up to take her into the BOB ring.

I'm really on the fence with this. I've only shown a handful of times, so I feel like I should be concentrating on my own dog. I'm also worried about doing an awful job with somebody's dog who I've never met. Then again, if nobody else steps up to show her, it would probably break the major which would effect all of us (including me, because I could get the points as Best of Winners).

So for those who have shown a dog for someone else, what are your thoughts? Is it more trouble than it's worth in this situation? Should I look into it more and find out the details? I don't want to bite off more than I can chew, but it could be a good opportunity.
__________________

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-31-2013, 04:20 PM
krissy krissy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 643
Default

If the person knows you're a novice and is okay with that I'd do it. Personally, my view on it if it was MY dog is that either the dog doesn't get shown because I can't go, or a novice handles her and she has a shot. Maybe she doesn't show as well because of your lack of experience, but it sounds like the alternative is that she doesn't get a shot at all. If it was my dog I'd just be grateful that someone is offering to show her at all.


Looks like Kili might get out in the show ring one last time. Plans I had fell through 2 weekends from now and there's a UKC show that there will be other greyhounds at. So I'm thinking I'm going to go. Would be nice to not be the one lonely greyhound, Kili will have a shot at some points (not that I'm expecting any... I don't take this conformation thing seriously enough to get enough practice in, hee hee), and her breeder can see her again.
__________________

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 10-31-2013, 04:34 PM
Elrohwen's Avatar
Elrohwen Elrohwen is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 1,114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy View Post
If the person knows you're a novice and is okay with that I'd do it. Personally, my view on it if it was MY dog is that either the dog doesn't get shown because I can't go, or a novice handles her and she has a shot. Maybe she doesn't show as well because of your lack of experience, but it sounds like the alternative is that she doesn't get a shot at all. If it was my dog I'd just be grateful that someone is offering to show her at all.
Thanks for the help. That's kind of how I'm leaning right now. I'm interested in finding out more details, like how the dog will get to the show and whether someone else will groom her. In her FB post she said she could get her to the show, so that would be much easier for me. I don't want to run all over getting another dog, having to groom her, taking care of her all day, etc.

I think I'll send her a message on FB and get some more info, and let her know I might be a possibility.



Good luck with your pup! I hope you pick up some points.
__________________

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 10-31-2013, 05:31 PM
meepitsmeagan's Avatar
meepitsmeagan meepitsmeagan is offline
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southwest Michigan
Posts: 2,780
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrohwen View Post
An opportunity came up recently and I'm hoping the more experienced conformation people here can help me. Similar to the OP, I have the chance to show a dog for someone else in November, but I'm a novice.

Basically, a Canadian breeder (who is friends with Watson's breeder) wants to send her girl down to the show, but can't come herself. It seems that most (or all) of the other people on the FB group are also showing class girls, so they can't show this one. Not 100% sure, but if someone can show this Canadian girl, it would probably make a major.

Now, as the only one showing a class boy that I know of, I'm in a position to possibly show this girl. I'm assuming that if she won Winner's Bitch and Watson was Winner's Dog, someone else would step up to take her into the BOB ring.

I'm really on the fence with this. I've only shown a handful of times, so I feel like I should be concentrating on my own dog. I'm also worried about doing an awful job with somebody's dog who I've never met. Then again, if nobody else steps up to show her, it would probably break the major which would effect all of us (including me, because I could get the points as Best of Winners).

So for those who have shown a dog for someone else, what are your thoughts? Is it more trouble than it's worth in this situation? Should I look into it more and find out the details? I don't want to bite off more than I can chew, but it could be a good opportunity.
Do it! As long as she knows you are a novice and you are up front, I don't see why it would be a problem. Better than not in the ring at all!
__________________


Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 10-31-2013, 06:10 PM
Elrohwen's Avatar
Elrohwen Elrohwen is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 1,114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
Do it! As long as she knows you are a novice and you are up front, I don't see why it would be a problem. Better than not in the ring at all!
I'm more worried about being overwhelmed myself than the breeder thinking I did a lousy job. Haha. One good thing is that my parents and husband will be with me, so dragging two dogs around wouldn't be impossible. I worry about Watson though because he can get overstimulated at shows and takes some time to chill. I also worry that he would shriek while I went in the ring with another dog and embarrass the crap out of me. Lol
__________________

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site