Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-20-2013, 06:42 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Knuckle bones. Anywhere from 2-4 weeks, depending on how big the bone is and how bored the dogs are.

The nylabone...lasts forever.

Also bought a...cow tibia, I guess? It is holding up strong after months, but the dogs also aren't that interested in it now that the awesome smoke crunchy topping is all off. For whatever reason the knuckle bones hold their attention more.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:47 PM
Aware

I can't believe some people have bully sticks last MULTIPLE DAYS. That's crazy! Braided 12" bully sticks last around 30-45 minutes for Bloo, 45-60 minutes for Em. Antlers last months, but our dogs don't chew on them frequently, other than Bloo. We usually get 9-12" ones that we replace every 3-4 months. Used to do RMB, Shadow started getting diarrhea from them so we stopped... may start it up once we move again. Have never done, will never do rawhides.

Is there a reason pig ears have decreased in popularity, besides potential choking hazard? I used to see them at every feed store, now I very rarely do. We used to give them to our dogs when I was small, never have with Shadow or dogs past Shadow.

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 10-20-2013, 06:59 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Antlers -- a month to a year
Nylabones -- months up to a year
RMBs (outdoors only, beef rib or lamb femur) -- hour or two depending on size.

That's pretty much all I really use.

On occasion they get bully sticks but it's rare because they usually only last 10 minutes, tops. We did get some really nice ones as a survival gift during Cookie's recovery/rehab from Chuck&Don's (I think) that lasted over thirty minutes each. Really wish we could get those again.

I need smaller dogs. Or less sharky ones, haha.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13

Last edited by Shai; 10-20-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:12 PM
Top Dog

Antlers: last a few weeks. Meg really doesn't chew on them much, but Gusto adores them. I toss them when he gets them small enough that I worry about choking.

Stuffed marrow bones: the initial "stuffing" lasts maybe two days. Meg will chew on hers (lick it, I guess) for a little while, then Gusto has them both until they are empty. We refer to them as his crack. He licks them forever with this glazed look in his eyes.

Bully sticks: Half hour maybe? They usually get one as we are leaving, so I'm not really sure. Both dogs like them, and they are always gone when we get home.

Himalayan chews: Maybe a day. Like most chews, Meg loses interest after an hour or so. Gusto will have both gone by the next day.

Chicken/duck feet: 3 minutes or so for Meg. Maybe 5 for Gusto. Nice for tossing in the crate for one of them when I take the other out for an agility run, as it keeps them from watching me leave and crying/screaming.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julee View Post
...Is there a reason pig ears have decreased in popularity, besides potential choking hazard? I used to see them at every feed store, now I very rarely do. We used to give them to our dogs when I was small, never have with Shadow or dogs past Shadow.
Oh, that reminds me- Caleb also gets the occasional sow or lamb's ear and pig snouts. The sow's ears last him weeks. Seriously, he carries them around and snuggles with them for days. Then he starts to nibble on the tip.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:19 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I restuff marrow bones for active chewing, I leave them out empty for passive chewing. Occasionally I buy RMBs which last about 5-15 min and split antlers which last for a few weeks.

I am pretty sure my nylabones last for 78 years and are chewed on every few months for a few minutes at a time.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:32 PM
Wanna Pet My Wiener?

10-12" spiral bully sticks: 20 minutes tops
6-10" thick bully sticks: 15 minutes
Himalayan chews (medium sized): 45 minutes
Kangaroo tendons: 3-8 minutes

As you can see, nothing lasts very long. I usually just give her a frozen Kong, and that'll last an hour or so.

The Watchmen "Pike"
Blue merle Miniature American Shepherd puppy

Dachshund Nola: Life as a crazy, fun loving Doxie
http://dachshundnola.blogspot.com
Old 10-20-2013, 08:18 PM
orange iguanas.

A 12" THICK bully stick might last an hour? At $10 a piece, they are pretty much non-existent in this house.

A trachea might last 15 or 20 minutes. If it's stuffed and frozen, I might get 30-45 minutes out of it.

Pig ears can get 5 minutes. They're not worth it to me to actually buy, I just always seem to have some given to me lol so they probably get these most often.

Raw cow hooves I can get days out of, they don't hold the dogs attention for long in one sitting, but they'll keep going back to them.

My favorite are these smoked bones I get from the local butcher. Don't have a clue what kind of bone it is. Probably isn't even recommended that these actually be given to dogs. But they are so cheap, and the dogs will literally spend the entire day chewing on them. They are pretty much the only chews I am willing to spend money on.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 10-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Top Dog

a bully stick will last Huddy a few days, but that's because he gets bored with it pretty quick. I definitely have antlers from last year. I don't do pig ears anymore because last time I did, he ate it, drank a bunch of water, and then promptly threw it back up.

I do hollowed out soup bones with kibble/canned food and freeze them. He also doesn't eat cow hooves, so they also get filled with kibble/canned food and freeze it.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 10-20-2013, 09:13 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

We always have empty marrow bones and antlers laying around for whenever the dogs want them.

They get RMB if I have to keep them busy for a long time as they cannot be around one another nicely if they have them, and they are the one thing that Frodo will guard from me, so I need to let him have it overnight to clean it out.

Siri gets a Dentastix daily. Frodo would if they didn't cause a reaction with him. Frodo gets assorted things like pigs ears, Halo chews, etc. for whenever I leave with Siri.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.