Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 08-26-2013, 08:19 PM
Silence, peasants.

Default Grooming supplies for a dog with actual fur?

Having only poodles has left me totally inept when it comes to actually dealing with...dog fur.

Suggestions for what I should have? What is this phenomena known as shedding? Puppy's parents are both medium-rough coated, so I'm going under that assumption.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 08-26-2013, 08:34 PM
Resident fainting goat

haha welcome to the shedding world! The grooming bills are less but say hello to dog hair in your food!

Things I consider "must haves" grooming wise..

- The zoom groom (it's rubber, most dogs love it, it gets so much hair out when used either wet or dry, it's cheap and it's super handy!)
- Basic slicker brush (I really like the one that is self cleaning, you click the button and the blades retract so you can grab the hair, check amazon)
- Pin brush (great for just general brushing)
- Shedding blade (great for the spring/summer months when all that coat is coming off..)
- Basic comb. I hardly use this but handy when I need to comb out burs or other weird stuff.
- Shampoo.. I like earthbath
- Blowdryer (I like the metro airforce one..)

(I would also honestly try to find out of those self-grooming places. Worh their weight in gold and will save your bathroom)
PLUS I WORK AT ONE!!!

and cleaning wise
- Lint rollers (TINY ONES, BIG ONES, POCKET ONES, CAR ONES, HOME ONES) keep em everywhere.
- Vacuum (dyson makes a really fancy one if you are feeling splurgy, but I just have a basic one since I don't have carpet and one that comes with a tube thing for corners and other such tumbleweeds since long hair does that)
- Bisell pet hair eraser. It's like $30. WORTH IT. Gets hair off furniture and other such things.. thing has saved my life
Old 08-26-2013, 09:11 PM
Top Dog

Aside from a couple of new brushes and stuff I bought for show grooming, I don't really have much haha.

I use a metal combo comb on both of my hairy dogs and just a regular pin brush. I do have a Coat King as well that I use during heavy shedding times to pull out coat manually. Just have to be careful because it'll make the dog bald if you don't use it right. Other than that, I use a force dryer, and then just thinning shears and straight scissors (and a clipper, but it's not necessary) for paw and ear trimming. I own a shedding blade and a Zoom Groom, but neither has been used in forever. I hate slicker brushes and only use mine for show grooming to brush hair up on the feet and legs.

But yeah, my go to constantly used tools are just my comb and pin brush. And that's when I even brush my dogs lol. They get brushed, if they're lucky, like once every two weeks. They are bathed and put through a full groom monthly though. But they don't really need much brushing inbetween unless I want to spiff them up if we're going to a certain place or something.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 08-26-2013, 09:26 PM
orange iguanas.

With Happy I use a slicker brush and an undercoat rake. That's about all there is to our grooming routine.

I use a "shed release" shampoo on her (Mutt Nose Best U Hairy Dog), honestly don't have a clue if it actually does anything special lol. But it smells good. I bathe her probably once every couple weeks, and that's about as often as I brush her too. And when I brush her, it's brushbrushbrushbrushbrush until I'm just sick of brushing. There's never actually an end in sight.

She doesn't really shed. Juno is 100x worse in that department.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 08-28-2013, 10:24 PM
Silence, peasants.

Thank you for all the lovely suggestions, greatly appreciated!
Have lots of stuff coming the mail now, haha. Christmas in August.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 08-29-2013, 08:35 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

A good conditioner also goes a long way in removing dead undercoat as well IME. It allows the dead undercoat to slide out past the guard hairs. I like The Stuff, personally.

A forced air dryer will be your BFF if you have access to one!

Old 08-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Vizsla mom

For the Border in my life, I just use a zoom groom
Old 08-29-2013, 09:03 AM
Was BackwardCinderella

Thirding the Zoom Groom here. Also a forced air drier. I have a B Air Power Force Forced Air Drier and I love it. Light weight, compact, easy to move and store, and its got BALLS. We also use Furminator's full deshed system, shampoo, conditioner, and the Furminator itself at the salon, use that plus a good blow out pre and post bath and you'll hardly have any shedding problems.
Fish oil helps the coat stay nice and can help dogs whose coats are falling out willy nilly.
Daily brushing, even if its just for five minutes, will help as well.
If Pup's parents are medium coated, a mat breaker might be in your best interest too, as well as a good pair of clippers to clip the "potty path" or "sanitary" area to keep him from getting dingleberries.
The Stuff For Dogs is another fantastic product, I swear it eats mats... LOL. Spray it on and leave it for a couple of minutes and then brush - BAM, dead mat.
And as far as vacuum cleaner's go... I <3 My Shark and will ALWAYS have a shark. It NOMS teh dog hairz, and it won't break the bank.

http://doofydogblog.blogspot.com/
In which creeper dogs, products and nonsense are discussed.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:27 AM
Top Dog

We have slicker brush for the dogs, good especially for removing tangles and dead hair better. Mom at shelter got this new awesome tool, see here http://www.petstreetmall.com/Miracle-De-Shedder.5452 the medium one works best for most dog coats and it doing great for the dogs in shelter.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:42 AM
Top Dog

For Kas and Robin I have and regularly use an undercoat rake, a mat breaker, and Cowboy Magic.