Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-25-2013, 06:30 PM
orange iguanas.

Only a veterinarian is able to diagnose and prescribe drugs. I can look at a fecal sample and know the animal has roundworms, and know what drug it needs, but I still need the approval of a vet first before I hand anything out.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006
Old 10-25-2013, 06:36 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
You said this:

If you diagnosed and prescribed meds, regardless if the vet said "here's an open cabinet of meds," it was illegal.

as to can't imagine shelters don't operate illegally, LOLOLOLOLOL too funny.
It may be sort of a grey area, if they had say a bottle of doxycycline, know the conversion/dosage...the techs notice a dog coughing with runny nose, and give the appropriate dosage. It may vary by state too..
Quote:
The "necessary and prompt" veterinary medical care provided within city, county and/or city/county animal control shelters and/or its agencies to protect the public good without a California licensed veterinarian present is limited to basic care to prevent spread of disease and to protect the public and the animals, e.g., vaccinations, prophylactic treatment of parasites and basic testing within protocols developed in conjunction with a California licensed veterinarian. All other on-going and regular veterinary medical care must be provided by or under the supervision of a licensed California veterinarian.
Quote:
These duties range from basics like cleaning kennels or handling animals for medical examinations to more complex tasks such as assisting in surgery, prescribing treatment (based on predetermined protocols), and even managing the veterinarianís time and ensuring that the vet is on task.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:19 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Only a veterinarian is able to diagnose and prescribe drugs. I can look at a fecal sample and know the animal has roundworms, and know what drug it needs, but I still need the approval of a vet first before I hand anything out.
^ This. For example, I can run the fecal, see roundworms, calculate how much of X medication dog needs at Y dose, and then get everything made up all nice and beautiful...but I still have to say, "Hey, Doc, Fluffy had rounds, okay that I give Y dose of Z medication at this rate?" They say, "Sure! Sounds good!" and only then do I make it an official script and actually give it to the patient.

Same is true for any drug. I may know how to dose and what treatment protocol to follow, but I cannot give it without the vet's okay, verbal or otherwise.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:52 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
It may be sort of a grey area, if they had say a bottle of doxycycline, know the conversion/dosage...the techs notice a dog coughing with runny nose, and give the appropriate dosage. It may vary by state too..
From the AVMA:
Quote:
The duties of veterinary technicians shall be performed under the direction, supervision, and responsibility of veterinarians. These duties shall be accomplished in compliance with federal, state, and local laws. These duties shall not include diagnosing, prescribing, or performing surgery except where explicitly permitted by regulation.
The way that California law reads is as an "in case of emergency" kind of situation, which is what it seems the AVMA is talking about - if there's an express regulation allowing it, it's okay. I would guess most states probably do have some kind of emergency clause. But a dog coughing and with a runny nose is likely not going to count as an emergency (unless those are symptoms consistent with a doggy plague running rampant!) And certainly doing such routinely wouldn't fall into "in case of emergency."

It seems California takes it quite seriously:
http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/p...0904_vmb.shtml
Scaling dogs teeth with metal scalers counted as "practicing veterinary medicine without a license" and net those two probation and fines.
So probably less gray than you would think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
^ This. For example, I can run the fecal, see roundworms, calculate how much of X medication dog needs at Y dose, and then get everything made up all nice and beautiful...but I still have to say, "Hey, Doc, Fluffy had rounds, okay that I give Y dose of Z medication at this rate?" They say, "Sure! Sounds good!" and only then do I make it an official script and actually give it to the patient.

Same is true for any drug. I may know how to dose and what treatment protocol to follow, but I cannot give it without the vet's okay, verbal or otherwise.
This is how my vets have worked as well. The techs run the UA, look at it, then hand Doc the results and he pretty much just signs off on it.

All that said, shelters do shady stuff when it comes to vet med waaaaaay more frequently than most people would like to think. Why? $$$$$.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog