Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-16-2013, 09:47 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I always enjoyed working at regular boarding kennels, but supervising daycare dogs kind of sucked, I agree. I like doing specific tasks all day, but just kind of sitting there observing and occasionally scooping poop was...less than entertaining.
My experience of it was TOO MUCH CRAZY. After like 5 minutes I was wiped lol. Could not do it for 8+ hours.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 10-17-2013, 07:16 PM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

Have you thought about looking at non-profit organizations? The pay most of the time is not wonderful, but okay and it's really rewarding (depending on where you work, lol).

A lot of them look at how you'll fit in with the organization and will give you a chance, even if your resume doesn't reflect the most experience. I met the most wonderful people when I worked at a Legal Aid Office!
Old 10-17-2013, 10:27 PM
Wild At Heart

Exclamation

No experience with vet assistant, but did want to reply to this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Have you thought about looking at non-profit organizations? The pay most of the time is not wonderful, but okay and it's really rewarding (depending on where you work, lol).

A lot of them look at how you'll fit in with the organization and will give you a chance, even if your resume doesn't reflect the most experience. I met the most wonderful people when I worked at a Legal Aid Office!
I agree with looking at a non-profit. I work at a non-profit right now and I absolutely love it!! My pay is actually pretty good, or at least I think it is, so no complaints there.

I actually got my position after volunteering there for a few months. I absolutely love it! My one and only complaint is I hate getting paid once a month lol

Harleigh <3
Old 10-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post

Well, I run a non-profit it's just we're still fairly new-ish and we're just now starting to make a good amount of money (and not doing a lot of stuff out of our own pocket), so I will be able to start paying myself a salary soon. But yeah my mom and I run it in honor of my brother who passed away and have for the past 6 years, it's a drowning awareness and water safety foundation. www.connorcares.org so yeah, this is what I've been doing along with working at daycare for extra money. We just had our biggest event yesterday and the night before, with a poker and golf tournmanet, and we worked our asses off on it, so I plan on taking a little pay for my hard work.

Brit & Jackson

Old 10-25-2013, 03:02 PM
Top Dog

I've done assistant stuff here and there over the years at shelters I've worked at. I think if you can find a place that pays decent, it would be more rewarding to work in non-profit than working in a clinic. I was able to do a lot more at shelters than I would in a clinic since everything is OTJ training and they need a lot more done. Some people might think this was unsafe or sketchy... but when vets are telling you to do it and giving you cabinets full of supplies to use... Thankfully, we didn't do anything that could actually harm an animal, and did get proper training on the job.

I was technically a back up "tech" at the first place I worked, doing all of the veterinary duties on the full time girl's days off. Vaccinating, drawing blood, restraining, prescribing meds for URIs, loose stool, parasites, eye issues, etc.

Another place I did a ton of sub q fluids, diagnosing issues, prescribing meds, microchipping, fecal analysis, and suture removal.

Another place I did vaccinating, skin scrapes, ear swabs, etc.

We basically got crash courses by the vets that came in once a month or so on how to diagnose common issues and what to prescribe for each one. A little informal, but it was interesting for sure.

I work for a non-profit currently, and I would think (maybe I'm wrong?) that the assistants actually working long hours and hard, with the dogs, would make more than the receptionists(me)? If so, they make pretty decent money here working full time for sure, and would fall into your average range.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 10-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Kung Pow Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
I've done assistant stuff here and there over the years at shelters I've worked at. I think if you can find a place that pays decent, it would be more rewarding to work in non-profit than working in a clinic. I was able to do a lot more at shelters than I would in a clinic since everything is OTJ training and they need a lot more done. Some people might think this was unsafe or sketchy... but when vets are telling you to do it and giving you cabinets full of supplies to use... Thankfully, we didn't do anything that could actually harm an animal, and did get proper training on the job.

I was technically a back up "tech" at the first place I worked, doing all of the veterinary duties on the full time girl's days off. Vaccinating, drawing blood, restraining, prescribing meds for URIs, loose stool, parasites, eye issues, etc.

Another place I did a ton of sub q fluids, diagnosing issues, prescribing meds, microchipping, fecal analysis, and suture removal.

Another place I did vaccinating, skin scrapes, ear swabs, etc.

We basically got crash courses by the vets that came in once a month or so on how to diagnose common issues and what to prescribe for each one. A little informal, but it was interesting for sure.

I work for a non-profit currently, and I would think (maybe I'm wrong?) that the assistants actually working long hours and hard, with the dogs, would make more than the receptionists(me)? If so, they make pretty decent money here working full time for sure, and would fall into your average range.
holy crap this is like my dream way to learn. show me once, hand me what i need, and sit down and watch me
Old 10-25-2013, 04:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Some people might think this was unsafe or sketchy... but when vets are telling you to do it and giving you cabinets full of supplies to use... Thankfully, we didn't do anything that could actually harm an animal, and did get proper training on the job.
Well, it depends. Legally only a vet can diagnose, prescribe, and do surgeries (with the exception of simple dentals or maybe skin sutures). It doesn't matter if the vet told you to do it, it's still illegal. Pretty much anything else, though, is fair game as long as you're under the direction of a vet.

If you do something illegal, it will come back to haunt you if you intend to work at another clinic some day.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Well, it depends. Legally only a vet can diagnose, prescribe, and do surgeries (with the exception of simple dentals or maybe skin sutures). It doesn't matter if the vet told you to do it, it's still illegal. Pretty much anything else, though, is fair game as long as you're under the direction of a vet.

If you do something illegal, it will come back to haunt you if you intend to work at another clinic some day.
I don't think I did anything illegal? The vets gave us the meds, so we were not getting them illegally or anything. We didn't do surgery or anything like that. This seems pretty common practice for shelters, I can't imagine they're all operating illegally?

I definitely thought it was always a little odd, but like I said, that's just how every place worked.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:36 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
I don't think I did anything illegal? The vets gave us the meds, so we were not getting them illegally or anything. We didn't do surgery or anything like that. This seems pretty common practice for shelters, I can't imagine they're all operating illegally?

I definitely thought it was always a little odd, but like I said, that's just how every place worked.
You said this:
Quote:
prescribing meds for URIs, loose stool, parasites, eye issues, etc.
If you diagnosed and prescribed meds, regardless if the vet said "here's an open cabinet of meds," it was illegal.

as to can't imagine shelters don't operate illegally, LOLOLOLOLOL too funny.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-25-2013, 05:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
You said this:

If you diagnosed and prescribed meds, regardless if the vet said "here's an open cabinet of meds," it was illegal.

as to can't imagine shelters don't operate illegally, LOLOLOLOLOL too funny.
I legitimately didn't know that was a thing. I thought if vets prescribed meds for the shelter and told them how to dose them it was ok? I mean, I was told to do it for my job. As a teenager, I just assumed it was legal to do.

Why do so many vets and shelters do this?

Eta; wouldn't a tech reading a fecal be diagnosing the parasites?