Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-14-2006, 11:20 PM
Top Dog

I would be fine with people needing to pass a background check and test of knowledge to own a Pit Bull, I however believe this should be true of all breeds. I think many people who own dogs are not up to the task to properly raising a dog.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstaffer
I would be fine with people needing to pass a background check and test of knowledge to own a Pit Bull, I however believe this should be true of all breeds. I think many people who own dogs are not up to the task to properly raising a dog.
I think we're on the same page. I'd like to add breeders to your requirements. I'd love to live in world where dog ownership (guardianship) was no longer considered the same as "owning" other "possessions".

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 06-15-2006, 12:28 AM
LabBreeder

Not just dogs though. Other living beings that are kept as pets should have "guardians" and not just owners or be possessions. Fish, hamsters, birds and reptiles may not be in the same "category" but they shouldn't be neglected either.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:15 AM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabBreeder
4. There still is no newspaper article about it. It's a medical article mentioning what supposedly happened. I find it amazing that a story that big didn't make it into a newspaper.
there have been numerous newspaper articles in numerous newspapers about it. it's an old story. i think the actual transplant was done in december. do a google search for it. i'm sure you'll find plenty.

as far as "what supposedly happened", that's generally all we have to go on in dog-bite cases. and victim reports are notoriously inaccurate, which makes sense- being bitten by a dog is a traumatic thing! why should this lady and this dog be any different than the rest? because it's a lab?
Old 06-15-2006, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabBreeder
The only report I found about a Lab "attacking" a woman in France was the one that got a face transplant. All it said was that the Lab was trying to wake her up by clawing and biting at her face. I'd like to see the full, original article.
I'm not sure what everyone thinks has been missing. All of the international reports (mostly from the US stations) that I've seen have clearly said that a womens face was chewed off by her LABRADOR.
I know that unless it's a pit or other bully breed it's not considered a sexy enough story for the news lately, but this one was, from what I saw, very clearly reported. I thought that they were using the opposite to draw attention....OMG, THIS WAS HER LAB!!! A whole story was done by Barbwa Wawa, and the lab part was one of the things first mentioned.
Someone else posted about how out of it she was, didn't even know her face was gone till she tried to light up......ghastly!

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 06-15-2006, 10:52 AM
Top Dog

Ok MO on this.
Most people who get Pits/Staffs and the like are young irresponsible assholes that want to show off thier dog.
So the dog is therefore probably being totured and starved to make it vicious.
Then when it does attack everyone thinks that it's the dogs fault and that is so sad

But however it is in thier blood to fight aswell.

I don't know, Pitbulls where banned here quite a few years ago b/c of the irresponsibilty of owners and how they were handling them.

But i do think that a small part of the Breed plays a part in the way they are too, just the same as the Breed makes them sweet loving and good loyal.

Thanks BP
Old 06-15-2006, 12:56 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey+Ralph
Ok MO on this.
Most people who get Pits/Staffs and the like are young irresponsible assholes that want to show off thier dog.
So the dog is therefore probably being totured and starved to make it vicious.
Then when it does attack everyone thinks that it's the dogs fault and that is so sad
see, i don't think this is true when you look at the big picture. YES, there are absolutely young irresponsible people who get pit bulls as status symbols. YES there are people who do what they can to make their pit bulls vicious.

but i think, by and large, most of the "pit bull problem" is just the result of horrible overbreeding combined with clueless people who don't socialize or train their dogs, and who often leave their dogs tied up outside. i don't think they do this to be intentionally creating a monster. i think they're just not grasping what it means to own a dog, much less a powerful dog with a very strong drive and a very strong need to be with humans.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:01 PM
Top Dog

I just think that it's so sad that such a lovely Breed of dog had to be ruined

Thanks BP
Old 06-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey+Ralph

But however it is in thier blood to fight aswell.

It was in their blood to fight other dogs. Also many "pit bulls" are American Staffordshire Terriers who have not be bred for fighting in over 70 years. They are mostly show dogs now. 70 years is less time than it took the Russians to turn wild foxes into friendly/submissive easy to keep fur factories.
http://www.floridalupine.org/publica...-fox-study.pdf
Old 06-15-2006, 01:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstaffer
It was in their blood to fight other dogs. Also many "pit bulls" are American Staffordshire Terriers who have not be bred for fighting in over 70 years. They are mostly show dogs now. 70 years is less time than it took the Russians to turn wild foxes into friendly/submissive easy to keep fur factories.
http://www.floridalupine.org/publica...-fox-study.pdf
Very true.

Thanks BP