Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-14-2006, 02:34 PM
Big Dog

Default pitbulls+washington

are they going to ban pitbulls from washington ever?i hope not i really am looking into getting one.
P.S it is not letting make this a poll.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:10 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

Yes some counties have banned pit bulls. I know auburn has a list of like 10 dogs outlawed. Call the local humane society or shelter they will know.

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 05-17-2006, 11:02 AM
Puppy Dog

Default WHY do you want one??

In Yakima several years ago 2 pitbulls killed an elderly man in his wheelchair,the dogs owners weren't held liable cause it happened just outside the city limits. Everytime I think of that poor man I feel sick.

Many years ago in Montana I watched 2 Pitbulls fight-I'll NEVER forget that sight!

My rescue dog,Rags, survived a 30 minute attack @ the shelter by a Pitbull recently brought in & not neutered yet,the dog climbed the fence to get at Rags. They had to kill the dog to get him off Rags.

I'm beginning to hate the sight of those dogs,and I'm not alone in feeling that way. It's the PEOPLE that should be banned. There are areas in Skagit County where as many as 5-6 Pitbulls roam as a pack. My son lost one of his dogs to 2 Pitbulls jumping the fence,if you'd seen what they did you might think about getting a different breed.

Also know of way too many young people getting these dogs & leaving them in crates all day or tied up, not getting training or even bothering with routine vet checks, neuter,etc.

Of course ANY dog can be aggressive, and I DO know of very sweet,well behaved Pit Bulls. I just wonder why you want one?
Old 05-18-2006, 08:06 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagstoRiches
I just wonder why you want one?
Well I can tell you why I have two and think (IMHO) they are the best breed of dog.

They are the sweetest most easy going dogs I have ever been around. They are very comical and very loving. They are ultra-loyal and devoted to their owners. They are the perfect size. They don't bark much. They are very active when its time to be and very mellow when its time to be. They have nice short hair. They love children and are very forgiving of rough children. They have more patience with others than any CREATURE (humans included) on earth I could go on and on.....

If you raise them in a loving and caring home they are unmatchable (IMHO) as companions.

Whatever breed you own I could ask the same question. You most likely would have wonderful things to say about your breed or dog. Some of us find it insulting when people cast a shadow on our breed by saying "why would anyone want one". That question I believe is born out of a lack of knowledge on the problem. It is the PEOPLE not the DOGS. I am not sure why more people can see that. Maybe because they don't want to acknowledge the evil that is in their own species.

We should be asking the question, "Dear Government offical, why do you continue to allow millions of dogs to be neglected, abused and tortured every year" or "Why do you allow human trash to own dogs or any pet after they have shown many times they have no desire to take care of or have compassion for their dogs."

Pit Bull are not for everyone because they require the same devotion from their owners that they give (Few Humans can come close to matching).

RtR-- this post is not a slam on you but rather a response to some of the points you made and questions that you asked. Bill O'Rielly asked the same question on his show; it was a Rhetorical question that was meant as a slam. I don't think you meant it that way but some people ask the question with that meaning.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:46 AM
Puppy Dog

Default Good response!

Thanks, and NO I didn't mean it as a slam-God forbid I EVER mimmick Bill O!!!!

I'm new here & have noticed how many YOUNG people there are on this site, I was trying to get across a point cause I've noticed how many Pit Bulls end up in our local shelter.

ANY breed that is high energy & smart, needs ALOT of thought & research before adopting/buying.

I'm agreeing 100% about Pit Bulls being sweet & loyal.

Just want to discourage anyone that's not going to dedicate themselves to the responsibility/liability issues to think twice.

Maybe it's cause we have such a huge rural area here & so many meth labs-or just a high proportion of nitwits, I'm not sure,but the breed is becoming a problem HERE. Again, it's not the dogs' fault, I'd like to see these owners put in a cage @ the shelter!

I can't even visit my son with Pit Bull neighbors. His dog was killed with his Rhottie in the yard!! My other son has a Dobie,they were once bad-repped also, his dog is sweet as any dog could be.

And with all the horror stories out there,I keep wondering why the black Lab tore off that woman's face in France (I think)?

Rags' mom
Old 05-18-2006, 11:46 AM
Top Dog

You make an excellent point RagstoRiches... pit bulls are a very popular dog in urban areas...but now even in suburban really... alot of people get these dogs without doing their research and its very true, they end up giving them away to shelters because they didn't realize how much training and exercise they need.

Its definately not a dog for everyone...they are demanding but wonderful if you commit...
Old 05-18-2006, 01:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagstoRiches
And with all the horror stories out there,I keep wondering why the black Lab tore off that woman's face in France (I think)?
Can you imagine had that story been about a Pit Bull ripping her face off? Dogs attack Humans and other animals every day, its just that Pit Bulls get the press and headlines.

In that story you had to hunt to find out it was a Lab, had the dog been a Pit Bull that would have been the first thing they said. I can just imagine the first reporter on the scene saying "Hmmm are you sure thats not a Pit Bull? No really I think its a Pit Bull, what do you mean it would be dishonest to call it a Pit Bull. Its Black and I have seen Black Pit Bulls....thus it must be a Pit Bull....."

That Lab tore her face off most likely because she was doing something crazy. She was sooo wacked out on drugs she didn't realize her face was ripped open until she went to light a smoke and her upper lip was gone . I can't even imagine being that out of it!
Old 05-18-2006, 01:45 PM
Top Dog

Where I live the pitbull ban is on, and within two months of the pitbull ban there was a story in the newspaper on staff named Lexi. She was found in an alley way almost dead. She ended up having a leg amputated and spent a few months under intense care. The culprit of her serious injuries?!?!?
A huskie. I just thought it was great publicity, of course I felt sorry for her, but at the same time it takes incidents like those for people to truly understand that not all pitbulls are aggressive and vicious..
Just thought I'd add that to the anecdotes.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:01 PM
Designated Ball Thrower

I don't know. I don't mind the breed. I do however, mind them running loose.

(Actually I hate it when any dog is loose and comes after me or my dogs...)

They are a breed that needs supervision due to their strong prey drive. I have been attacked by this breed 3 times this year alone out here in spokane and my patience is wearing thin on that!!!!

On the other hand I just rescued one back in Jan and rehomed her and she was an absolute doll!! So perfect in the house. Never could figure out why she had been dumped..

Popcorn:http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=320230

Pepper- http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=320235

Reilly-RIP
12/3/95-5/15/05
http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=320483

I Have Been Befriended!

I've Been Frosted! My Turn to Pick a Victim!MUHAHA!

Everyone Thinks Their dog is the Greatest... Because They Are!!!
Old 06-14-2006, 07:39 PM
Top Dog

[QUOTE=moonchild1970]

They are a breed that needs supervision due to their strong prey drive. I have been attacked by this breed 3 times this year alone out here in spokane and my patience is wearing thin on that!!!!

QUOTE]

Could the THAT be the people who let them loose? Punish them! The laws are already in place to punish them and/or make those laws stronger. Its not the dogs fault some idiot owns them.