Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-04-2013, 09:02 AM
I'm All Ears

Default I need opinions- job stuff

On my phone so apologize ahead of time for typos.

I'm a geology technician right now. I have a pretty cozy existence. I make decent money and am able to do what I want finally which is get into dog training more. But it's not fulfilling work really. It's not bad but it's repetitive and nothing much is very challenging. I could easily make enough to live off of this way. But you can't move up without a degree really. You can be a higher level technician but that's it.

I had a conversation with my geologist about maybe going to grad school. She told me I have a ton of potential and could do so much more with a degree. I had bought about engineering but I always liked geology better. I have a math degree though and no geo undergrad courses but I've completely loved all my in house geology classes. I think it is fascinating stuff.

I think long term I'd be happier doing something more challenging. But I think of how much I want a puppy and agility and a house and setting myself back is hard. I'm already stressed thinking of it. But the opportunities would be great.

I don't even know if I could get into school. Sent an email to the grad dept to talk to them and now am feeling like I'm crazy. A few years of struggle though and I could double my salary and do something more interesting to me... I think it might be worth it.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Show Dog

I'm in a somewhat similar position with the exception of not really knowing what I'd like to do any better than what I'm doing now. Also the fact that going to grad school and staying in the same general field really wouldn't open up that many more doors for me honestly. I know lots of people in the biotech industry who got their masters and it absolute jack for them.

Just coasting by in a decent paying job and enjoying what you really love doing outside of work is perfectly fine, and likely what I'll continue doing myself as I don't have a specific goal to work towards career wise. But if you do have an achievable goal and the desire to go back to school to set yourself up for eventually having a more enjoyable career and the ability to enjoy your out of work hobbies I'd say it's worth it. It might delay Nextdog a bit if you'll be strapped for free time and I know you wanted to set a great foundation for agility with Nextdog. That's a cost benefit you'll have to weigh out.

Personally if I had a specific goal I'd probably go for it myself, but it's too easy to just be lazy and stick with the status quo right now for me.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:22 AM
F150 and a .30-06

Nothing is saying you can't get the puppy. Lol

Honestly if you do get into school I would go that way. Ok yeah you don't get to buy a house now but when you do buy a house you will have more money left over since you would be making more money.

Could you afford to buy the house now and go to school? You could find the right room mate to help pay the mortgage or something like that. Do what will make you happy in the long term

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 10-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Top Dog

Go to school if you can, open up as many doors for your future as you can, the house, the agility, the everything else will still be there, school may not always be there. Its much harder to go back after you have the mortgage and car payments.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I was in a similar position when I was working 2 jobs, 60 hours a week. I was like MONAY because I could do classes with Siri and Frodo and buy nice things, and we started talking about a house next year since we would be able to afford one.

But I knew that I didn't want to work 60 hours a week long term and that I didn't want to always need that second retail job to be able to do what I wanted. That's why I am going back to school, I'm back to being broke, and we won't even be thinking about a house for probably 3-5 years now. But it was about choosing the better option for the long term, and not immediate gratification.

Do you want to be 10 years down the road playing the "wish I would have" game? That was my biggest factor in my decision. Yes, the next couple years might be kinda sucky, but then it'll be better than it ever has been! (or at least that's the plan )

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

I had a similair problem. In the end, I wish I would have gone back to school sooner. I feel like I wasted soo much time thinking about the cost of it and what if it didn't work out or I didn't like the feild I went into, but truthfully as much as it sucks being poor, I'll be happier with my job and making a ton more money.

Also, what kind of engineering are you thinking about doing?
Old 10-04-2013, 12:46 PM
I'm All Ears

I'm not even sure I will get into grad school. I wrecked my GPA when mon was sick and died plus my health issues. I'm not sure how to overcome that but am wondering if 2+ years of experience in the field could help overcome my low GPA. And maybe taking some undergrad a while before actually applying? Is that possible? I am afraid they'll say no but I guess I won't know till i try.

I can get into engineering undergrad in state here (not sure about which specific program) but I could get into the main school. Pet E is in a different school.

I'm not sure how to keep myself afloat without my jobs/benefits though. If I could make it into grad school I could possibly keep my FT job. I like having a nice paying job like now.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:49 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue5290 View Post
I had a similair problem. In the end, I wish I would have gone back to school sooner. I feel like I wasted soo much time thinking about the cost of it and what if it didn't work out or I didn't like the feild I went into, but truthfully as much as it sucks being poor, I'll be happier with my job and making a ton more money.

Also, what kind of engineering are you thinking about doing?
Petroleum. If I do engineering I would like to eventually end up in reservoir engineering. The mechanical engineers are fast tracked to drilling here and no way do I want that. Not living on a rig for a year.

My favorite option is exploration geology but I think I may have effed that up in undergrad. A bachelors in geology lands me the exact same job I'm in. You can only be a technician unless you have a masters.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:51 PM
I'm All Ears

Gah I wish I had thought of all this before getting my undergrad.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Show Dog

It really depends on the program you're trying to get into in the end so talking to them is your best bet for figuring out your options. One of my friends went back to school for a graduate program in Forestry... her undergrad degree was in Political Science completely unrelated. She'd worked a few years for park services/Rangers (not exactly sure what she did there) before deciding to go to grad school so that may have helped.

I don't know anything about the programs you're looking into but I would think your real life work experience right now on top of employer recommendations should more than make up for less than impressive GPA from your undergrad days. Even more so if your lower GPA is linked to a dying parent explaining the drop.

Basically it doesn't hurt to talk to the appropriate people at the school about the programs and what the requirements are for admission.