Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-13-2013, 01:32 PM
I'm All Ears

Default Slightly concerned about Mia

Her stamina is still down a lot on walks. In agility and ball around the house she seems fine but on walks she just wants to... walk instead of how she used to run everywhere.

When we get to walking she starts panting and you can hear gunk rattling around in there. I think it must be allergies? The last time I took Summer in for allergies they gave me meds that didn't seem to do much and I googled them and they're more for like itchy skin kind of allergies vs upper respiratory. My trainer says allergies are bad this year in particular but we've never had this problem before. I miss my crazy dog on walks.

I'm thinking about trying to get her in the vet's this week. Thoughts?
Old 10-13-2013, 06:11 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Her stamina is still down a lot on walks. In agility and ball around the house she seems fine but on walks she just wants to... walk instead of how she used to run everywhere.

When we get to walking she starts panting and you can hear gunk rattling around in there. I think it must be allergies? The last time I took Summer in for allergies they gave me meds that didn't seem to do much and I googled them and they're more for like itchy skin kind of allergies vs upper respiratory. My trainer says allergies are bad this year in particular but we've never had this problem before. I miss my crazy dog on walks.

I'm thinking about trying to get her in the vet's this week. Thoughts?
If she's had the issue before, I'm sure it could be allergies. But, harsh breath sounds would definitely be sending me on the way to the vet, especially if it is impacting her activity level. As long as there is no infection, maybe a short course of steroids to help with the inflammation and get her back to breathing normally?

Old 10-13-2013, 07:58 PM
I'm All Ears

Yeah the activity level is really concerning me. I guess I'll call her in this week. sometimes I think my vet thinks I'm a hypochondriac though.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Top Dog

I know what you mean, it's often hard to 'know' when a vet is needed for an issue such as this. I mean, I think I probably would end up taking him in if it were my dog, if it lasted more than a week or so. To me, it's better to go in, and better be safe than sorry. Even if it's kind of a waste.

Brit & Jackson