Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-31-2013, 10:23 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Default Cattle dog breeders?

Not for me, but for a coworker! She will be starting to build her house soon, and she's chomping at the bit for a cattle dog puppy. She is a dog person in the way that she is a veterinary technician and understand what training and exercise means...but she has no concept for what a reputable breeder is and HOW important finding the right breeder is going to be for her to end up with a stable dog. She asked me if I knew of any breeders and I said that I didn't, but I'd ask "some people I know" and see if they have any recommendations.

She wants a cattle dog mainly as a pet, but she and her husband are avid frisbee players and she is very interested in disc as a sport. She prefers the smaller, lighter build and has her heart set one that is blue with a black mask (although, if the right pup is the wrong color, I think she'd understand).

She would prefer someone local (definitely does NOT want to ship a pup), but she frequently drives to Michigan to visit family, so I would think she'd be fine purchasing a pup from a breeder that happens to be in Michigan.

You can PM me with breeder recommendations if posting their kennel name isn't allowed? I can never remember...

Old 10-31-2013, 02:36 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

I would point her towards rescue, tbh. I know there is one that focuses a lot on sport potential ACD's.. CANNOT REMEMBER THE NAME. I know it was mentioned back in one of my threads about Lucy. I want to say it's based out of Wisconsin.

Heavy working lines are going to get you an ACD with a smaller build. I really only know of two ACD breeders in MI, and both are mainly conformation breeders and one creates pretty soft dogs that I don't care for. Wyoming, California, and Missouri bring up the best working dog breeders IMO.

I don't know if this helps or not. If you want, you can PM me and I can point you towards more specifics or try to hook you up with some resources in the breed.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACD/BCx ::
Marquis' Livin' On Tulsa Time "Tulsa" 2014 ACD
& part-time resident Corral West Call Me A Grimm Fairytale "Story" 2012 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 11-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Nuke it from orbit ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
Not for me, but for a coworker! She will be starting to build her house soon, and she's chomping at the bit for a cattle dog puppy. She is a dog person in the way that she is a veterinary technician and understand what training and exercise means...but she has no concept for what a reputable breeder is and HOW important finding the right breeder is going to be for her to end up with a stable dog. She asked me if I knew of any breeders and I said that I didn't, but I'd ask "some people I know" and see if they have any recommendations.

She wants a cattle dog mainly as a pet, but she and her husband are avid frisbee players and she is very interested in disc as a sport. She prefers the smaller, lighter build and has her heart set one that is blue with a black mask (although, if the right pup is the wrong color, I think she'd understand).

She would prefer someone local (definitely does NOT want to ship a pup), but she frequently drives to Michigan to visit family, so I would think she'd be fine purchasing a pup from a breeder that happens to be in Michigan.

You can PM me with breeder recommendations if posting their kennel name isn't allowed? I can never remember...
Heck yeah, this dog and them will love each other! cattle dogs are a trip but in the right home its like peas and carrots, as Forrest Gump says.
http://www.australiancattledog.com/ is a great site, they have a breeder section they lists breeders by state. Hope her search goes well and POST pics when the little guy arrives!

I don't like those who breed solely for "sport", a cattle dog bred to the original standard has all a sport person needs and more. Heck Josefina is orphan from a shelter whose parentage I don't know and she would be an excellent sports dog.

Make sure you tell her to try to get a dog from a breeder who works their dogs, not just shows them, IMHO working parents is very important.