Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Sit! Good dog.

My old trainer swears by white cider vinegar and honey mix. And she trains, breeds and competes gsd, apparently never had a joint issue in her many many years.

I can't say it works, but if you're into natural remedies, it is very highly recommended to ward off arthritis and joint issues.

We give it to ours. Just mix up equal measures and add a splash to their food daily. She recommended after Fred's op, can't hurt.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 10-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Kung Pow Fish

i give raw ACV in the dogs water but white distilled vinegar iv been told has pretty much no nutritional value whatsoever. thats odd that somebody uses it for dogs
Old 10-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
i give raw ACV in the dogs water but white distilled vinegar iv been told has pretty much no nutritional value whatsoever. thats odd that somebody uses it for dogs
It's an age old remedy, nothing new

Cider vinegar and honey.

Google it.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Kung Pow Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
It's an age old remedy, nothing new

Cider vinegar and honey.

Google it.
apple cider vinegar or white vinegar?
Old 10-07-2013, 03:35 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
apple cider vinegar or white vinegar?
Cider vinegar. Apples

Old 10-07-2013, 03:42 PM
& the Muttly Crew

G/C or NuPro here, per our sports/alt DVM.

If nothing else the NuPro helps keep the brown dogs' noses black all winter

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 10-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Cider vinegar. Apples
Right...but the post stated white vinegar and honey and thus the confusion
Old 10-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Top Dog

I've never seen anything reliable that has shown glucosamine or chondroitin given prophylactically to prevent joint disorders.

Studies have been mostly mixed for humans between the 2. I've found those as a sulfate to have more favorable findings over a those coupled with chloride or similar ions, but still mixed.

I don't know much about animal studies. Glucosamine is generally cheaper, i'd try that first, again with sulfate and go thru a bottle. If I didn't notice a difference I'd try Chondroitin. I guess it's harder to tell with animals, but that's generally what i'd recommend for a person.

It takes about a month to 6 weeks of steady and adequate supplementation to notice a difference. and luckily that's usually about the standard size of a bottle Take it till it's gone, did it work? buy another one. It didn't? try the other.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:05 PM
Taxiderpy

The absolute best glucosamine I have ever found/used is Equine/Canine Level 5000. It's liquid so it just pours onto their food.

http://www.liquidhealthpets.com/products/k9-level-5000/

Willow had really bad hip and elbow dysplasia. She was on all different brands of glucosamine, when it got so bad she literally couldn't not stand up any more. I had some left from when Kaia broke a weight bearing toe and I was trying to help it heal without any arthritis (it's fine 4 years later).

So I gave it to Mel. They were literally going to euthanize Willow that day. They tried her on it. Within 2 days she could stand again with limited assistance from them. Within a month she could stand on her own. That stuff literally gave her another 2 years of life. <3

I don't have my dogs on it, but if one of them started having joint troubles or breaks a bone at some point I'd definitely put them on it.

It's the only product I've seen that has shark cartilage, glucosamine and MSM, plus all the bonus minerals and stuff.

One of my zoi friends had a 6 month old puppy blow his cruciate and anterior(?) ligament super bad. The orthopedic vet actually removed the cruciate ligament, put him on crate rest for several months, and told her that once he stopped growing they were going to do some tests and operate on his knee to fix as much damage as possible. He also told her that her dog would always have a limp, no matter what happened.

She put him on that stuff right away. When the time came for his appointment, the surgeon was blown away. No surgery was necessary, it had healed so well. He has no limp. He's an AKC grand champion now. He's almost 10 years old and still going strong. They don't let him run loose in big open spaces and kept him on that supplement for life, but he can totally run around the yard and catch frisbees and stuff.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Top Dog

Logan gets Cosequin DS. Soon (when my bottle's out) I'm switching him to Dasuquin. I've heard good things about both, though. Logan's on it just as preventative, because it's free.

I was using human supplements with Gavroche, and questioned if they were actually working. He's been off of them for a couple months now, and acts much stiffer and gets sore more easily, so I'm going to start them up again.