Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Puppy Dog

Default Could she have been a Mother?

We adopted Grace about 2yrs ago & the shelter estimated her age at around 2 yrs old. Every dog we have had prior to her, we had from puppies & they were spay around 6 months of age & they all had a nice tuck to their belly area. Grace has a rounded belly. The Vet is good with her weight - she has good muscle tone and definition to her waist. Could her rounded instead of tucked belly area mean she has had puppies in the past? Oh, she is a Schnauzer. Just curious- she is such a good dog & I find myself wondering about her past before we adopted her.

Last edited by NeNe; 10-06-2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 10-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Top Dog

She could have, absolutely. It's not uncommon for people to find out their dog is pregnant and dump either pregnant mama or mama with babies.

It can drive you crazy not knowing their past, can't it? I often wondered what Lucy's former homes were like--we were her third family when we adopted her at 3 years old. Thanks for adopting Grace and giving her a good home

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 10-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Top Dog

If she's a Miniature Schnauzer, they're also prone to a host of ailments that can cause rounded bellies. Cushings, Thyroid issues, etc. You might look to see if she has any of the other symptoms of those ailments and do further testing, if needed. With conditioning and proper diet, a dog who has had a litter should not retain a rounded belly..

Alternatively, it could just be her structure
Old 10-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Kung Pow Fish

any bitch who has been through any heat cycles will get saggy boobies, esp if they milk like a holstein with their false pregnancies. a BULGE on the other hand is not normal at all, post-spay, not even if they were a professional mill bitch
Old 10-06-2013, 05:27 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
any bitch who has been through any heat cycles will get saggy boobies, esp if they milk like a holstein with their false pregnancies. a BULGE on the other hand is not normal at all, post-spay, not even if they were a professional mill bitch
Saggy boobies? I don't think so... at least, my dogs haven't. Bigger nipples sure, but not "saggy boobies."

Not only did Kaylee go through several heat cycles, but she's also had a litter of puppies. This is a photo I took a few months after she weaned her puppies:

2.5 years post-whelp:

KayleeNEcat3 by sizzzle_dog, on Flickr

I agree with you though - a big bulgey stomach is not a good sign.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 10-06-2013, 05:33 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
Saggy boobies? I don't think so... at least, mine haven't. Bigger nipples sure, but not "saggy boobies."

Not only did Kaylee go through several heat cycles, but she's also had a litter of puppies. This is a photo I took a few months after she weaned her puppies:

I agree with you though - a big bulgey stomach is not a good sign.
^ Ditto all of this. Mira has had three heat cycles and while her nipples are larger than Kim's, who has never had a heat cycle, they are not saggy...they simply aren't nearly flush anymore. She's coated though so pictures wouldn't help illustrate.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 10-06-2013, 06:16 PM
I'm All Ears

Summer had two pregnancies (1 failed, 1 stillborn) prior to me getting her and she's got a nice tuck up and no bulgy belly or saggy nipples.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Top Dog

Wouldn't it depend somewhat on the way the breeding was done? I mean, there is a beagle foster at the place I train now, and she had TEN humongous puppies (they look to be lab or rottie mixes). Poor girl has super saggy tummy now.

I gotta believe it's like people--some you can't tell they were ever pregnant, and others have saggy boobs and excess skin for life.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 10-06-2013, 06:29 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Wouldn't it depend somewhat on the way the breeding was done? I mean, there is a beagle foster at the place I train now, and she had TEN humongous puppies (they look to be lab or rottie mixes). Poor girl has super saggy tummy now.

I gotta believe it's like people--some you can't tell they were ever pregnant, and others have saggy boobs and excess skin for life.
Varies I guess. Mira's mom had 3 litters -- 12, 7, and the last was 5 huge puppies. She still has her girlish figure. She's very active and athletic though.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 10-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Wouldn't it depend somewhat on the way the breeding was done?
I think so. I've seen a lot of rescue/puppy mill dogs that definitely have a lot of excess sagging/skin. Maybe just from lack of care during/after breeding, or breeding lots of litters back to back, or stuff like that.

I would worry about a rounded/firm belly, though.