Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Top Dog

Like most, I don't know how to answer it because I don't know what I'd consider "respect" from my dogs. They don't rip my throat out during the night, so we are good there.

Meg listens to me over anyone else. She is sweet and loving and adoring and polite to all people, and there is zero doubt in my mind that she is My Dog. People often (jokingly) threaten to steal her, because they are certain she must love them more than anyone, and I always laugh and tell them "good luck". She won't leave the property with anyone but me or, IF I'm not home, maybe my mother. I can call her off deer when she is in full charge after them; she never destroys anything of mine; she looks to me for an answer when she is confused by something.

She also pops out of the weave poles to play bow and growl at me. She begs incessantly and counter surfs once in a while (but not often enough to make me just put stuff away). She stares vacantly at me when she's on my pillows and I want her to move, as if she has no idea what I'm asking.

Gusto listens to nobody, but he listens to other people less than he does to me. He will steal any food that isn't actively contained, and will pretty much climb in your mouth if he thinks it will get him what he wants. He will still sometimes steal paper to shred. He growls and bites at my hands when I wrestle with him. He plays keep away when he gets his bunny fur tug away from me. He jumps onto my chest and snuggles up without any invitation whenever we are in the house, pushing aside whatever I'm reading, but won't acknowledge my presence if we are out and about.

Things that I like and actively encourage in my dogs, some people would consider disrespectful. Some things people consider disrespectful, I don't mind enough to bother training out of them. Maybe they are disrespectful, I don't know.

Actually, Gusto is disrespectful. I know that. But I love him for it.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:21 PM
such sights to show you

Honestly I'm not convinced that dogs really have a concept of what we consider respect. And I'm pretty convinced that I don't mind whether they do or don't.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:48 PM
Top Dog

Training. History of reinforcement.

I really doubt they care about such things that we call respect.

My dogs were/are notorious for "ignoring" other people telling them to do things.
A) They have no history of reinforcement with these people
B) Many times the cues given are different enough for it to not even register as the same thing
Puzzle Piece Gabby 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 10-03-2013, 10:39 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
Training. History of reinforcement.

I really doubt they care about such things that we call respect.

My dogs were/are notorious for "ignoring" other people telling them to do things.
A) They have no history of reinforcement with these people
B) Many times the cues given are different enough for it to not even register as the same thing
This ^ pretty much!
My dog also ignores other people's commands for the most part. She also tends to ignore my husband some of the time because does not reinforce rules and consistently. Yet, I'm almost certain she loves him more then me *dunno.... lol
Old 10-03-2013, 11:30 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Honestly I'm not convinced that dogs really have a concept of what we consider respect. And I'm pretty convinced that I don't mind whether they do or don't.
This.

I doubt Middie would know what respect is if you slapped him in the face with it. Not even if respect was a slightly decomposing trout.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:32 PM
Top Dog

My dogs get out of my chair when they see me coming back to reclaim it. That's respect enough for me.