Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Top Dog

Default Cold Laser?

Anyone have any experience with Cold Laser Therapy or Low-Level Laser Therapy? I have an appointment this evening with Ez - I think he might have torn a tricep to some degree this past weekend. REALLY hoping I'm wrong, but I've been massaging/stretching him daily because his has a wonderfully disturbing knot of muscle where there shouldn't be one.. That and a lot of blood pooling that makes it look even worse. I'll post pictures later when I'm not at work if anyone is interested.

Anyway, I found a clinic that offers cold laser and I'm hopeful that it will be an option. I'd hate for him not to be able to run like he loves. I've read good things about laser, but don't know anyone who has used it for an injury like this.

- people with the power, if you feel this better fits in the "Health" section, my feelings won't be hurt if you move it -

Old 10-03-2013, 09:00 AM
Top Dog

We offer it where I work (I work at a canine rehab place), it's awesome! We see lots of great results from it.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I have had my boss do it on a few injuries and general maintenance on my senior dog, I'm honestly not sure if it helped but I know it didn't hurt and it made me feel better having tried.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Top Dog

Good to hear... I figure at $36 a session, it may be well worth it if it'll speed healing time now and keep him sound long term. And like you say, if it can't hurt him, might as well try.

I do know someone who is buying an LED laser pad to do light therapy the dogs (her Whippets and boarders who want it). I guess I hadn't really considered it before Ezra's injury? I need to look in to the difference between cold laser and LED..

Old 10-03-2013, 11:03 AM
orange iguanas.

We offered it at the last clinic I worked at. Lots of people gave it a try - many of them saw results, but of course not everybody did. I think it's worth a try.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 10-03-2013, 11:10 AM
& the Muttly Crew

I saw clear results with Kim last summer while treating the soft tissue injury to her back (T1/T2 region) but we were hitting it with adjustments, acupuncture and cold laser simultaneously. With multiple variables, I can't say for certain whether one, another, or a combination did the trick.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 10-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Top Dog

I thought it helped Tess with her back injury last year. After the first session, she slept all day, which is unusual for her, and I see it as proof that something was happening.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Top Dog

We use it to reduce swelling and inflammation with great success where I work (also a sports rehab place). We tend to use therapeutic ultrasound for muscular issues with better success.

The person using the laser also needs to know which probes and which settings to use in order for it to be effective.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 10-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Top Dog

Gusto had probably 8 or 9 sessions total for a pulled bicep. I was throwing so many different treatments at the injury, I'm not sure what was the "real" cure, but it was affordable enough that I certainly don't regret doing it, even if it only helped a little. He healed fully and is back to 100% work with zero soundness issues.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Top Dog

We have it where I work. Some dogs respond well, others not as much. I know Ginger's abscess on her foot (spider bite) healed much faster than the other dogs we have seen with similar injuries, when we used the laser on the first visit. I did not, however, see any noticeable improvement when we used it for her arthritis. I'm sure it is an individual dog/individual ailment thing